06/07 WRX brake pads and rotors - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
06/07 WRX brake pads and rotors

My rotors have ~110k on them and my pads have ~56k on them, and although I could probably squeeze a bit more life out of them, I think I'm going to replace both this year.

Currently on my 07 WRX:
Stock rotors
Stock 4/2 pot calipers
Hawk HPS pads
Goodridge SS lines
ATE fluid

My car is my daily driver and it probably won't see any track events any time soon, but I do like to stretch its legs a bit when conditions safely permit. Since my car makes almost twice the power of a stock WRX, I'm looking for some decent braking equipment to keep me safe. That said, I could probably get away with drilled and/or slotted rotors since they won't experience prolonged extreme levels of heat so I don't have to worry too much about cracking. I am aware that they will wear the pads out faster than blank rotors, but I love the way they look and I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I think for my application, a two-piece rotor is overkill - same with a big brake kit. That's why I'm currently leaning toward DBA's 4000 Series T-Slotted rotors to satisfy my desire for something that looks cooler and performs better than stock without going overboard. Sound good?

As far as pads are concerned, I've been mostly satisfied with my Hawk HPS pads. They don't make any noise, but they do create what I'd consider to be a significant amount of dust. As far as performance, I can't compare them to anything other than stock pads and I'm not convinced that they're significantly better. The general consensus is that they're not very good, so I think I'll switch to a different pad. Ideally, I'm looking for a pad with better-than-stock performance in all conditions and lower levels of dust. Noise isn't really a concern because my car is pretty loud. Any suggestions?

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
06/07 WRX brake pads and rotors

I think your on point with the rotors. Cross drilled are always a nice addition to slotted rotors too, but either way I think they'll be fine and no big brake kit is needed. And I've run various pads over the years, but I've been dead set on Hawk HP pads since I was young. They've never once let me down an exceed my expectations with mileage for sure, and that's even with the cross drilled and slotted setups I've had on all my cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#3 Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
those pads don't make that much dust. You should do some heavy braking testing and then examine your wheels to see the pink dust hawk HPS pads make to differentiate brake dust from regular road/tire grime. Go like 60-0 and then 60-0 again quickly, it'll make some actual dust to look at for comparison. You know what WILL make some more brake dust? Slotted rotors.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sounds like that will be a fun test.

Maybe I should just paint my wheels brown so they don't show any dust/dirt.

I think I might give Hawk HP+ pads a try.

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Warning on those John, they take some time to warm up.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 03-16-2013, 06:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Isn't that what they say about ceramic pads too?

John
07 WRX
#7 Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, I suppose but those are the only hawks I know anything about personally.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Man, all this reading about brakes is making my head spin. I'm having a hard time with all the reviews - there is so much conflicting information and everybody thinks they're right!

Part of the problem is that I want it all and I'm just going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Reality is slowly starting to set in - I don't have a track car

John
07 WRX
#9 Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Here's a pretty decent article about pads: Essex - Learning Center - How to Choose the Best Street and Track Brake Pads

John
07 WRX