No specials as of late - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No specials as of late

Haven't seen much from Discount Tire on deals since 2009....

Anything coming up ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I was actually wondering the same thing. Since my stock wheels currently have winter tires mounted on them, I'd really like to get another set of wheels and summer tires so I'm prepared for warmer weather. I'm seriously considering a set of 17x9 +42 bronze Rota DPTs with 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs... the packages at WheelDude.com are tempting, but if I can find a better deal, I could change my mind. I also want springs and struts... not sure about those yet

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, those Dunlops are nice in the summer/spring.... but do they hold up on wet like the GForceKDW2's?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3

post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
TireRack.com gives the Dunlop Direzzas 8.0/10 for Hydroplaning Resistance and 8.5/10 for Wet Traction. The BFG KDW2s get 8.3 and 8.4, respectively. With the exception of Hydroplaning Resistance and Treadwear, the Direzzas actually come out on top of the KDW2s in all categories on the surveys, but that's not saying very much because they are both great tires and the numbers are very close.

I do really REALLY like the tread pattern of the KDW2s though. I was just leaning toward the Direzzas because the BFGs aren't offered as a tire option on WheelDude.com. I still need to shop around though. TireRack currently has the BFGs much cheaper than the Direzzas in the size I'm interested in so that might be cheaper if I can get them mounted cheap locally.

John
07 WRX
post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Supporting Vendor

DiscountTire is an unknown
Thanks for the post pzr2874.

We've been running sepcials all year. Black Friday deals, Cyber Monday deals, and many many manufacturer mail in rebates. Right now we are running $50.00 to $100.00 off a new set of select alloy wheels and of course FREE mounting and balancing with every wheel and tire combination. Shipping is also still FREE to the lower 48 States and Canada.

-Matt

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
John, you should really contact the guys at discount tire, see what they can do for you. I got my Enkeis from them. Not knocking Rotas, I ran them for a couple years. But if performance is anywhere close to on your mind Rotas arent really the best bet out there. The boosts I ran, granted were wider than stock, but dang near as heavy, couple that with a slightly larger tire, you have now successfully added more weight to the car. Maybe its not that big a deal, but I swear to it that when I switched to the Enkeis all aspects of driving (accelerating, stopping, etc.) got better with the lighter rims. I know that you do your research and know your stuff, just throwing it out there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 9 Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

My Enkei's are nice... Got them from DT as well. Too bad they don't make them anymore.... I called to get 2 17's for drag radials.... no dice

BTW Josh... DT stopped selling Enkei not too long ago.... But the 5Zigens are still there

Here they are John... They are PURDY...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=Car%2FMinivan

There are 4 in Ohio too

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Paul thanks for the heads up, didnt realize that, wonder why. Try the guys at Modern Automotive Performance then. They are pretty dang good at finding stuff and at a great price too.

And Paul you are right, the 5Zigen are pretty nice also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 9 Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks guys, but I really don't like the style of those 5Zigens and I really tried many, many times, but I'm just not terribly crazy about the way the Enkei RPF-1s look either. I really like the way the Rota Torque Rs and Grids look with the concave faces, but the offset on both is way too ridiculous and they would probably look funny on a car with stock ride height and a decent set of 18" tires is pretty expensive too. So I'm kind of stuck with a 17" wheel with a reasonable offset and there aren't too many options in styles that I like. The search for the perfect wheel continues...

John
07 WRX