Looking for some winter tires - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Supporting Vendor

DiscountTire is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
I still have not pulled the trigger on winter tires. Sizing would be 205/50/17 and I see that you offer the Falken Eurowinter HS439 (Which has very similar specs to the Dunlop Wintersports), and the Hankook I*Cept Evo W310. Unfortunately, I haven't found too many reviews on either. The one I did find, was for the I*Cept Evo's on NASIOC and the jist was that they were for more of an "experienced" driver since they performed differently in dry conditions.

Neither of these tires were tested APA, so hard choice haha. If it helps, I live in PA and do drive a lot between back roads and main highways. The main reason for me not choosing the Dunlop's is shipping and they are $10/more per tire.
Performance winter tires are designed for light snow conditions and really shine on dry roads when the temperatures are cold out. I'm not sure why an "experienced driver" would be needed for the I*Cept. The I*Cept is the improved version of the tried and true W300. The Eurowinter is also an excellent option. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either model.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I have some of the best summer tires you can buy (RE-01R's) and they turn into hockey pucks at cold temperatures. My performance winters are far FAR better at 30F than the summer tires on totally dry roads. Wet roads + cold weather + summer tires is another deathtrap as they firm up even more quickly and can be very poor even at 40F. And nothing I'm talking about has anything to do with snow. Snow, clearly, is not even comparable.

Winter performance tires when it's 40 degrees outside are not going to handle like summer tires when it's 70 degrees outside. If you're expecting anything like that, it's not going to happen. There will be a massive step down in performance between when you're driving around in the summer and when you're driving around in the winter no matter what you do (unless you buy all seasons, then it'll always suck). Performance winters just help minimize the step down and also give you a reasonable tire in the snow as well.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #18 of 23 Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
This is the review I was talking about, pretty in depth: Review: Hankook i*cept Evo Snow Tires - NASIOC

Specifically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCompNetSys View Post
I only recommend these tires to experienced spirited drivers. If you are a spirited driver with lots of camber on the back, I don't recommend these unless you are very comfortable with oversteer in the dry.
Around here, I am not such a "spirited driver" in the winter considering some back roads I take do have black ice. Especially with last year when we had the 3-4 blizzards where it was ice underneath the snow. The reason I would rather go with a performance winter tire rather than the Blizzaks is because most of my driving is on main roads where it's a mix of slush/snow.

The price difference is only $3/tire so not a huge deal to me and another reason why I am having such a difficult time between the two LOL.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)

post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
This is the review I was talking about, pretty in depth: Review: Hankook i*cept Evo Snow Tires - NASIOC

Specifically:

Around here, I am not such a "spirited driver" in the winter considering some back roads I take do have black ice. Especially with last year when we had the 3-4 blizzards where it was ice underneath the snow. The reason I would rather go with a performance winter tire rather than the Blizzaks is because most of my driving is on main roads where it's a mix of slush/snow.

The price difference is only $3/tire so not a huge deal to me and another reason why I am having such a difficult time between the two LOL.
Again, I think you will be more than happy with either tire model. All I recommend is to drive slow with the new set until you get used to how they feel and make sure you are running the proper pressure for your application.

post #20 of 23 Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The only time I would talk about a driver's skill level being a requirement for a tire is for a competition type tire. They don't react the same way as a consumer tire when the maximum lateral grip is exceeded. Consumer tires of all shapes and sizes are not that different when compared to a competition tire. Federal Highway standards are fairly specific and govern all consumer tires.

I can see how someone would drive poorly by not understanding their tire's capabilities but I have a hard time seeing how that should drive purchasing decisions. "Getting used to how it feels" is good advise for any change in your car. So is "play it safe" and "expect the unexpected" and all kinds of other wonderful adages. Buy good tires and try to understand the limits of their capabilities so you can enjoy your car in a safe manor. The most important part of any safety system or performance racecar is the squishy bit behind the wheel.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #21 of 23 Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM

^
Good advice mosc.

post #22 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Pulled the trigger on the Hankook's. I must say, "WOW!" because the service at Discount Tire was top notch. I inquired about the tires and was called the next morning. The tires are on, now I just need some snow to show them off!

Thank you guys so much, again! Excellent customer service and I will definitely be doing business again.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #23 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Thank you for your support BoostinChick! We look forward to hearing your initial thoughts on your new set.