Looking for some winter tires - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Looking for some winter tires

Hey got another question for you guys. Im looking for some General Tires Altimax Artic tires, all 4. The size is 225/45/17. I just got my Enkeis from you guys a little while back and was looking to do some more business with you guys...cause you are the best...Thanks.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Supporting Vendor

DiscountTire is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Hey got another question for you guys. Im looking for some General Tires Altimax Artic tires, all 4. The size is 225/45/17. I just got my Enkeis from you guys a little while back and was looking to do some more business with you guys...cause you are the best...Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words. We still have some General Altimax Arctic 225/45R-17 tires in stock ready to ship. They cost $130.00 each and shipping is Free.

Please give us a call at 1-888-459-4080 for the fastest processing of your order. Our first available agent will be happy to assist you.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
post #3 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thanks for the quick reply, will have to run it thru the wife. This is the exact reason I like to deal with you guys. Much appreciated.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"

post #4 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Anything cheaper than those for 09 wrx? 225x45x17??? On tight budget for winter shoes
post #5 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

From the reading and research I have done, thats pretty cheap with still a great deal of "performance" and longevity out of a winter tire. I have found the best two places to look for the most part is either Discount Tire Direct, or Tire Rack.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 PM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
There isn't a big price variance in winter performance tires. They're generally all in the same range. Try changing sizes, might save a few bucks. 205/50R17 and 215/45R17 both work fine for winter.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ Yep, size is the big difference in price.

FWIW I've run those EXACT General's for the last three winters and they still have tons of tread left and make me feel like superman in the snow. We just had some snow yesterday and I was behind a pickup on a seriously steep hill (I'd wager 10% grade). He got stuck spinning half way up, which made me stop on the slick road. Even from a stop on that hill I took right off around him. Can't do that in my Star Spec's !Laugh!

I run Blizzak's on the wife's car, and those were only about $90 a piece for her 195/65/16's.

-Chris
post #8 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
205/50R17 and 215/45R17 both work fine for winter.
I'll vouch for 205/50/17 winter tires. That's what I run on my stock 17x7 +53 WRX wheels. Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds are pretty nice too

John
07 WRX
post #9 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Ya less rubber less $$$. I think me n mosc talked about this i tried to get them at tire place n they told me the way subie awd is itll mess up if i go smaller. Im no tard but i think he tryna hustle. I dont wanna order offline bcuz its about 200$ to ship so basically im gonna have to dish the cash for my babies shoes
post #10 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
They're idiots? AWD means all 4 have to be the same. It has nothing to do with which same you chose. There are good reasons to pick certain sizes (like, your fenders not fitting certain ones) but if they match your drive train could care less.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #11 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
They're idiots? AWD means all 4 have to be the same. It has nothing to do with which same you chose. There are good reasons to pick certain sizes (like, your fenders not fitting certain ones) but if they match your drive train could care less.
Ya my 09 should b able tofit 205x50x17. Dude said drivetrain would break if i went smaller. Lol f him imma order sum smaller rubbers. Baby needs shoes
post #12 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Supporting Vendor

DiscountTire is an unknown
The General Altimax Arctic 225/45R-17 tires are actually the best price in a designated winter tire in this size.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
post #13 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I still have not pulled the trigger on winter tires. Sizing would be 205/50/17 and I see that you offer the Falken Eurowinter HS439 (Which has very similar specs to the Dunlop Wintersports), and the Hankook I*Cept Evo W310. Unfortunately, I haven't found too many reviews on either. The one I did find, was for the I*Cept Evo's on NASIOC and the jist was that they were for more of an "experienced" driver since they performed differently in dry conditions.

Neither of these tires were tested APA, so hard choice haha. If it helps, I live in PA and do drive a lot between back roads and main highways. The main reason for me not choosing the Dunlop's is shipping and they are $10/more per tire.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #14 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
I still have not pulled the trigger on winter tires. Sizing would be 205/50/17 and I see that you offer the Falken Eurowinter HS439 (Which has very similar specs to the Dunlop Wintersports), and the Hankook I*Cept Evo W310. Unfortunately, I haven't found too many reviews on either. The one I did find, was for the I*Cept Evo's on NASIOC and the jist was that they were for more of an "experienced" driver since they performed differently in dry conditions.

Neither of these tires were tested APA, so hard choice haha. If it helps, I live in PA and do drive a lot between back roads and main highways. The main reason for me not choosing the Dunlop's is shipping and they are $10/more per tire.
Almost every dedicated winter tire will perform drastically different in dry and warmer conditions than what they are intended for. Its just something you have to realize and adjust for. Taking a turn at 60MPH in a winter tire in 45 degree weather on a dry road will act much differently than the same turn, same temp, with a summer or all season tire.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #15 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I understand that, I guess, I was just expecting more from a "Performance Winter Tire" vs. a Studless one (LM60's).

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)