Whats the best DownPipe - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
Whats the best DownPipe

So I am going to get a downpipe and have been looking around and reading up on it for about a week now. I just wanted to get some advice from everyone else. I have decided on one of these four AVO, Cobb, Perrin and Invidia.I would go with the AVO but i dont know if its really worth the extra $. I also wanted to know what the difference is between having a bell mouth or a divorced end. Please give me all the feed back you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Bellmouth is the easiest and best DP out there. It will pretty much fit/work with any turbo out there, except (some) rotated setups. Im partial the Cobb DP (I run the full TBE). It has a nice bung already in it if you ever want to mount a wideband A/F gauge and the quality/fitment are top notch. But its also on the pricey side. Thats just my two cents tho.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'll second that. I have a Cobb bellmouth dp with a catalytic converter and it's worked great for me for tens of thousands of miles. The theory behind a divorced wastegate downpipe is that there are separate compartments that the exhaust gas from the turbo and the exhaust gas from the wastegate feed into and since they're separated, the gases don't mix together immediately and cause turbulence which can disrupt the smooth flow of exhaust gas, etc. etc... In my opinion, somebody over-thought that one. The bellmouth style downpipe is just how it sounds - a completely open bell-shaped pipe where all the exhaust gases from the turbo collect and flow into the rest of your exhaust. This design is perfectly fine for any car and like Joshua said, it will be compatible with many aftermarket turbochargers on the market (with the exception of roated-mount turbos), should you choose to go that route some day. Almost any aftermarket downpipe will be better than the stock downpipe - which is a blank plate design - basically a flat plate with a tiny circle cut into it. If you do the install yourself, you'll see the difference and probably get a little angry like I did. Why did Subaru choose to use such a horribly-designed pipe?!?! But then you'll thank them because there is so much more power to be unleashed once it's swapped out

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
only thing i dont like about the COBB is the price, the cat and it tapers to 2.5" at the cat connection. to me if your going 3" you need full 3" all the way through.

I had the Perrin and it was a nice piece just like COBB. almost half the price but i still hated that it had a cat so i sold it.

have the Invidia catless now, and its full 3", fit nice and only $255 shipped.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

rollertoaster is more helpful than not
I really like how far back the cat is placed on the Cobb. Are there any others that use a similar design? I'm considering a catless, but I'm concerned it will be significantly louder than stock. I'd prefer a quiet exhaust, I'm just running the spt catback.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
I really like how far back the cat is placed on the Cobb. Are there any others that use a similar design? I'm considering a catless, but I'm concerned it will be significantly louder than stock. I'd prefer a quiet exhaust, I'm just running the spt catback.
i heard no change from stock, perrin catted or catless

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Most of the time the tone of the exhaust will change, but its not always noticable. I think I noticed more when I upgraded my turbo. My friends 04 went from catted to catless and it was a subtle change, but his car was too loud to me anyways (had some type of Greddy fart can on it).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"