What would you personally do next? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischilders22 View Post
how much/bad do the headers change the sound, and can you give me a comparison or a sound clip. trying to find a sound on youtube and cant find a good one
there all over youtube! sounds more like every other 4 cylinder out there with an exhaust just slightly different. you wont sound like a subi anymore. they average person will think your a civic.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-05-2010, 06:32 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06f250sd View Post
Yes, our transmissions are the same as seen in previous gen 5-spd Legacy GT's and 5-spd non-RA STIs in Japan.
You can pm Vim (boost addict) and he can give you all the details.
It's the same as the LGT gears, that's true. No, those are not the 5-speed STi gears. You can just look at the weight to tell you that. It's about 100lbs lighter than the transmission you're talking about and doesn't have a limited slip center differential (which is internal).

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#18 Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
that's what I was thinking mosc, I just hadn't seen confirmation one way or the other

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#19 Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Suspension gets my vote.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#20 Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischilders22 View Post
how much/bad do the headers change the sound, and can you give me a comparison or a sound clip. trying to find a sound on youtube and cant find a good one
Not to link you to another site but here is my build and it should take you to the video that Vim posted. My 09 WRX Build
I don't know how to copy it off his photobucket account. I also wouldn't base ANY sound comparisons off of the internet or youtube as the mic's they normally use don't make it sound any where near as close to as in person. Yes, you lose the subie stumble BUT the spool/power is worth it "in my opinion"; there are 3 of us in socal with 3g's running ELH and are trying to convert everyone one victim at a time

TREBLE RACING
#21 Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
It's the same as the LGT gears, that's true. No, those are not the 5-speed STi gears. You can just look at the weight to tell you that. It's about 100lbs lighter than the transmission you're talking about and doesn't have a limited slip center differential (which is internal).
Mosc...how do you know the weight of a JDM 5 speed?

You can cross reference between the three vehicles, I doubt Subaru would re-engineer a different box for using the same gears. Copied from Unabombers Manifesto....
Transmission FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC

3.166 (1st) 1.882 (2nd) 1.296 (3rd) 0.972 (4th) 0.738 (5th) 2008/2009 Stock WRX
3.166 (1st) 1.882 (2nd) 1.296 (3rd) 0.972 (4th) 0.738 (5th) Stock Legacy GT
3.166 (1st) 1.882 (2nd) 1.296 (3rd) 0.972 (4th) 0.738 (5th) STi (Non-RA) (5 speed)

TREBLE RACING
#22 Old 09-06-2010, 07:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
They have the same gear ratios, they are not the same transmission. How much power a transmission can hold has very very little to do with gear ratios.

Nowhere in that thread does it say the 08+ WRX has the same transmission or even the same gears as the 94-00 STi. Here's again the dead giveaway: IT DOESN'T HAVE DCCD!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#23 Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Mosc....I'll do some more research. Yes they have the same gear ratio...its called parts sharing, why would they create the SAME gear ratio but as a weaker made gear? Some of the STi's versions trans didn't have DCCD so that is a moot point.

I'm also interested in how you know the weights of the transmissions?

TREBLE RACING
#24 Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

mjt09wrx is an unknown
personally your power is pretty solid right now so I would hit up some suspension mods. Or if there is anyhing small in appearence that you would want to attack, now would be the time. In my opinion the small details can really make a car. After that I would go back for more power if you were interested in that. At that point you would have a really really good all around car! Most are saying sway bars and what not and if you can afford it TIEN makes some very nice coilovers if you can afford it. I had them for my previous car and I will swear by them. Either way have fun!
#25 Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Just because its the same gear width...it doesn't mean the gears are the same thickness and in the same transmission bell housing as the 5 MT JDM STI trans. It just means that gear spacing was a good spacing and it was duplicated. I doubt they revived a dead transmission for the 3rd gen wrxs and just used the LGT unchanged instead. Remember that a majority of the WRX MT transmissions are 3 pieces that are able to be seperated pretty easily. The STI transmission is pretty much one soild mass. Which is why it takes about 3 guys to drop a 6 MT STI trans vs 1 or 2 that can drop a WRX trans. My tuner doesn't do the internal work...but they will drop a trans and send it to a transmission shop (normally andrewtec). That was how my tuner described the weight difference.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#26 Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Meh dont fix it (the transmission) if it ain't broken...

Work on the suspension first!