Subaru WRX Forum banner

What TMIC to get?

40K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  AllExtinct 
#1 ·
I plan on getting a new aftermarket TMIC in the next few weeks and wanted to get some input.I have been looking at the Perrin vs AVO because there are no other TMIC for 2008+. I also have been looking at a cheaper FMIC but they are a little to pricey for my plus im worried about lag. I also wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the Godspeed FMIC on Ebay. I would get it but I know its not the best quality for only $550.

#3 ·
#5 ·
The Process West is definately the prettiest TMIC. Has anyone ever tested it in a real world comparison with the Perrin, AVO, IPR, or Hyperflow?
The one thing that has always held me back from the Process West is the silicone piping. What scares me is the bend and well, silicone. How durable is that silicone piping? Will it slip off or cave in? Perhaps it's strong enough. I'm sure someone would have reported a failure by now anyway but it might be something to think about.
The new accessory piping that will let you use STI style turbos with the PW is neat though. The RacerX front mount includes that extra piping for use with the STI style turbos in case you want to go that route for free as well.

#7 ·
I like the looks of the PW intercooler. If I can figure out the exact core size I may have to make myself a knockoff. I'd most likely make the bends out of aluminum instead and only use couplers at the ends. Not quite sure how I feel about the BOV mounting, I know what they were going for, but I would probably do it a little differently.

The Perrin and Avo units look nice too, but for someone like me who wants to make their own, the PW design is easier to work with.

#9 ·
perrin is the largest on the market, inside area. which should equal to more cooling "maybe". it has some fitting issues sometimes but thats normal with Chinese kids 12 years old making them.

PW is the largest outside area, which some think will cool more because you have more surface area which outside air will pass through cooling the charged air more.

AVO is the smallest on all areas.

all will get heat soaked in traffic and dyno tuning. FMIC are the way to go!! a TurboXS FMIC is only about $50 more then the PW so thats a no brainer buy. the FMIC will cause zero issues with lag and throttle responce with your stock VF52 turbo!

anything WILL work in helping you add power because you cant push the stock TMIC over 17-18psi. it just boils down to at like 20psi which is better, TMIC vs FMIC vs the different brands. really only a few HP is here nor there.

#10 ·
Synolimit is correct...if you plan on going more than 330whp, get a front mount. The tmic are not rated for huge power, AVO rates theres at 330 and I'm sure the Perrin isn't going to take much more.

The problem with a lot of builds is EVERYONE slaps on a top mount, only to have their project snow ball and upgrade to a front mount which you could have done at the beginning. There are guys running the fmic with the stock 08 td04 with no issues...its all in the tuner.

#11 ·
^^^ didnt know about the 08's running a front mount but if there not having issues thats sweet.

heres a dyno of my car with stock TMIC vs FMIC. 17psi to 19.5psi, winter fuel vs summer fuel, blow through MAF vs stock location and more timing due to A LOT cooler air. no lag as seen and throttle responce is instant!

#12 ·
Wow, 49 ft lbs torque? I never wanted to go front mount route...but that's impressive.

Basically just retuned after the FMIC huh? What the advantage or claims of the blowthrough MAF? Haven't seen it before...

#13 ·
Yep 49ftlbs. U could maybe get that too with a TMIC but after 1-2 runs it will just get to hot! Your Tuner would start out with higher timing but as tuning goes on he'll have to keep backing it down. We tune 10-15 pulls, no TMIC can handle that!

Basically, FMIC, blow through, BOV, and catch can were added. More timing, more boost thanks to FMIC cooler air and there u go. Temp and everything was basically the same.

Blow though allows for 100% vent to atmos BOV. Moves the MAF sensor before the throttle body so leaks, BOV's ect have no affect on the car. I can run no filter, intake, inlet ect and car will run 100%. It's where the MAF should be! A foot before the TB so the ECU can make a perfect A/F. Makes no sense running 5-8 feet away and run it though the turbo.

#19 ·
Someone actually did a hardcore study into TMIC brands and had numbers from his study for results.
Think he did the study with a STI IC and a Ebay IC and maybe another one.
If you look around the net you might be able to find it.
Was pretty interesting results, it's been a while since I've seen it but it's out there.
I would try to find that before buying a aftermarket IC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.