Went blow through on my 09 WRX for cheap!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Went blow through on my 09 WRX for cheap!!

Well I decided to go blow through on my 09 WRX, why? 1. I miss my TurboXS RFL BOV, 2. I donít care what others think about the sound, (not you guys) 300+AWHP I donít see as "rice" 3. I wanted better readings and give my tuner better time tuning, 4. I wanted to see about HP gains if any, 5. I wanted my MAF sensor to see cooler temps from the cold side of the intercooler instead of before the turbo and 6. I think I'm the first on an 09, well at least around here!

So I already had the TurboXS CAI. My tuner loved it!! They made a perfect MAF housing. 66mm on the inside just like stock and right where it should be, a really nice piece and gave zero headaches while tuning.

So I thought why mess with a good piece and spend money on a blow-through housing when I can just use this one!

First thing I did was cut the CAI before the weld (see pic). Two reasons, 1. The weld acts as a bump so the silicone coupler doesnít pop off if the clamp isnít tight enough. Just like all my intercooler piping that have ribs and 2. I didnít know how they tapered the inside so better to leave it where I know the pipe is just 73mm before the taper.

Next I jumped on ebay and bought a 24" long 3" round piece of aluminum pipe (shortest I could find), 3" coupler and 2 T-bolt clamps for $25.

^^^^This is how I replaced the MAF housing that I just cut out. One Pro I see so far is the TurboXS CAI was 73mm (3 inches) from the filter to the weld. Then it drops to 66mm and attaches to the turbo inlet. Now the CAI is 73mm all the way from the filter to the turbo inlet. I'm just thinking maybe thatís a little better for the turbo to be able to suck in a larger amount of air due to larger diameter pipe, inlet kills it of course but im thinkin positive!

Next I cut my TurboXS intercooler piping (see pic) and I bought 2 more couplers, 3 inch reducing down to 2.5 inch and 2 more T-bolt clamps for $25. The TurboXS MAF housing is 3" and the intercooler pipe is 2.5. DURR! I picked this spot because the MAF sensor must be in a strait piece of pipe, close to the throttle body and away from bends in pipe.

Next I needed to add length to the MAF sensor harness. About a foot and a half did the trick and I routed it nicely ect ect. I had everything so FREEBIE 

Next I needed to block off the stock BPV flange. My friend made me a piece of aluminum same size as the flange and another gave me gasket material to put in between the two. I also found a copper plug to put into the BPV to inlet hose. Not sure if im going to keep this here because it looks trashy, but getting to the inlet is a PITA to cap off the hose if I take it off.

Last my friend welded on my TurboXS RFL BOV flange and I installed the BOV 18 inches away from the MAF sensor as my tuner told me to.

Next is a tune. I was going to tune anyways for 18-19psi with the FMIC and BOV but moving the MAF I hope will make it all go a little better. So far the car drives stock! BOV can do its thing and there is no back firing or hesitation or anything, itís a gem! All and all not bad for about $50.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

crazyfast is an unknown
that turned out surprisingly clean, congrats. seems like a more logical place to have the maf any way.

and i hate to admit it, but i miss the bov sound from my old mazda, so i cant blame you for wanting the noise back either.
#3 Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What did your tuner think about it? How much adjustment to the map? Did they do any logging between shifts of a/f ratios?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfast View Post
that turned out surprisingly clean, congrats. seems like a more logical place to have the maf any way.

and i hate to admit it, but i miss the bov sound from my old mazda, so i cant blame you for wanting the noise back either.
thanks. ya i think so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
What did your tuner think about it? How much adjustment to the map? Did they do any logging between shifts of a/f ratios?
i told him i wanted to do it and this was how. his said on his he went blow through too and his MAF is at least 18 inches away from the BOV so make sure i do that. also good luck and see you when your ready to tune. i just finished it today and test drove it. ill tune this week i hope or this weekend.

#5 Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Garage
If you can, please log some A/F ratios for a low RPM and a high RPM shift.

#6 Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

i cant now, no AP and not till after tune. after tune or like the last time out when we finalize everything ill try.

#7 Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

08silverwrx is an unknown
how bad would it hurt the car if I did this and don't tune it right away? My nearest tuner is 40 miles away and he's only open on saturdays and I rarley get saturdays off, I really wanna do this
#8 Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

the piping i first used was to small (the TXS pipe). it was only 66mm ID. i ended up using 73mm ID, cutting the MAF housing off the TXS pipe and welded it to the pipe i had left over from replacing the section i cut out of the TXS CAI because the MAF sensor was maxed out. i drove 2 weeks with it before a tune and stayed out of boost as much as possible and everything was fine.

#9 Old 05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Would it hurt it a lot if I did get into boost?
#10 Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Garage
synolimit, Did you take any A/F ratios for PTFB or between shifts?

Last edited by mosc; 05-10-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: removed some added posts due to confusion
#11 Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08silverwrx View Post
Would it hurt it a lot if I did get into boost?
lol like i said i tried getting on the highway at part throttle is impossible not to hit at least 10psi. still no ill effects but a A/F gauge for you if you do do it wouldnt be a bad idea.

#12 Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
synolimit, Did you take any A/F ratios for PTFB or between shifts?
i didnt, turner might have but since everything went and drove like stock he didnt say anything. i could ask him to pull up my logs but what exactly do i ask for?

#13 Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
lol like i said i tried getting on the highway at part throttle is impossible not to hit at least 10psi. still no ill effects but a A/F gauge for you if you do do it wouldnt be a bad idea.
Ok thanks for the info, I may do this tommorow if my buddy can make the block off plate for me, and ill see if ican make an appt to get it tuned asap, btw nice car man keep up the good work, I have a cheap a/f gauge but I'm gonna invest in a wide band as soon as I sell my other car.
#14 Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
Well I decided to go blow through on my 09 WRX, why? 1. I miss my TurboXS RFL BOV, 2. I donít care what others think about the sound, (not you guys) 300+AWHP I donít see as "rice" 3. I wanted better readings and give my tuner better time tuning, 4. I wanted to see about HP gains if any, 5. I wanted my MAF sensor to see cooler temps from the cold side of the intercooler instead of before the turbo and 6. I think I'm the first on an 09, well at least around here!

So I already had the TurboXS CAI. My tuner loved it!! They made a perfect MAF housing. 66mm on the inside just like stock and right where it should be, a really nice piece and gave zero headaches while tuning.

So I thought why mess with a good piece and spend money on a blow-through housing when I can just use this one!

First thing I did was cut the CAI before the weld (see pic). Two reasons, 1. The weld acts as a bump so the silicone coupler doesnít pop off if the clamp isnít tight enough. Just like all my intercooler piping that have ribs and 2. I didnít know how they tapered the inside so better to leave it where I know the pipe is just 73mm before the taper.

Next I jumped on ebay and bought a 24" long 3" round piece of aluminum pipe (shortest I could find), 3" coupler and 2 T-bolt clamps for $25.

^^^^This is how I replaced the MAF housing that I just cut out. One Pro I see so far is the TurboXS CAI was 73mm (3 inches) from the filter to the weld. Then it drops to 66mm and attaches to the turbo inlet. Now the CAI is 73mm all the way from the filter to the turbo inlet. I'm just thinking maybe thatís a little better for the turbo to be able to suck in a larger amount of air due to larger diameter pipe, inlet kills it of course but im thinkin positive!

Next I cut my TurboXS intercooler piping (see pic) and I bought 2 more couplers, 3 inch reducing down to 2.5 inch and 2 more T-bolt clamps for $25. The TurboXS MAF housing is 3" and the intercooler pipe is 2.5. DURR! I picked this spot because the MAF sensor must be in a strait piece of pipe, close to the throttle body and away from bends in pipe.

Next I needed to add length to the MAF sensor harness. About a foot and a half did the trick and I routed it nicely ect ect. I had everything so FREEBIE 

Next I needed to block off the stock BPV flange. My friend made me a piece of aluminum same size as the flange and another gave me gasket material to put in between the two. I also found a copper plug to put into the BPV to inlet hose. Not sure if im going to keep this here because it looks trashy, but getting to the inlet is a PITA to cap off the hose if I take it off.

Last my friend welded on my TurboXS RFL BOV flange and I installed the BOV 18 inches away from the MAF sensor as my tuner told me to.

Next is a tune. I was going to tune anyways for 18-19psi with the FMIC and BOV but moving the MAF I hope will make it all go a little better. So far the car drives stock! BOV can do its thing and there is no back firing or hesitation or anything, itís a gem! All and all not bad for about $50.
EDIT. after tuning the 66mm ID TXS piece we found out it didnt work and was to small. we had to use the left over 3" pipe i got off ebay because its ID was 73mm and was needed so the MAF voltage wasnt maxed out.

#15 Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stiffy is an unknown
question for the OP. so I am wanting to do this to my 04 wrx but I saw in your last post you said that you were maxing out your voltage and said you had to use the extra 3" piping. now did you put that 3" piping on your cold air intake piping or did you add it to your intercooler piping where your maf was. sorry I just couldn't understand which part you added the 3" pipe.