Wastegate Flutter? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Describe your situation a little better for us. What's the car running like otherwise? I'm linking the description of my car's problem when the ring lands blew in cylinder #4. How many miles have you put on it? An easy way to check for ring lands is to warm the car up and open the oil filler neck, then watch for it to puff smoke. When I say smoke, think of your breath on a cold day. Most ring lands seem to be going between 7500-20K miles. You can also compression check the motor to confirm any problems or lack of them too. Hope that helps.

This is what I noticed when the problem first started happening

Then this is when Subaru sent it back to me a couple times

Link to my description of the problem and how I knew exactly what it was - build page also

Link to the ring land failure thread on iwsti.com

Advertisement

#17 Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
When we had it hooked up to the computer last week we didn't see anything else wrong. The car runs great beside the fact it won't boost over 15 psi. No smoke no nothing.
#18 Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mine never did smoke out of the tailpipes. I hope sincerely that it's not what's causing your problem, but I wanted to put it out there as an easy check to pull the oil cap off and check it.

#19 Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
I appreciate the advice and I'll give that a check tomorrow. The car feels like it has every bit of power it always had. It would be a shock to me if I had an internal issue. Literally the only thing it's doing, is not boosting over 15 psi.
#20 Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well if you're sure it's not an internal issue it sounds like a wastegate issue. At the same time, if you feel the car is the same as before, well I don't get what the issue is. Also if it feels like it's making the same power I doubt you have a dead turbo. If anything maybe your wastegate took a crap. and is opening early and bleeding off exhaust.

What is the target boost on the map, and what is the taper supposed to be? My tune I'm pushing 20psi peak tapering to 15 by redline, and it tapers pretty quick.

-Chris
#21 Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
The map it had been running on for almost two years was for 19psi. I don't get into my car much so I didn't realize until recently that it didn't boost over 15 psi. I honestly thought the "flutter" was normal, me being a first time wrx owner and it has been making the "flutter" sound for as long as I can remember. The guy who tunes my car and has been working with these cars for a while is saying its the "flapper" (as he called it) or the wast gate door on the inside of the turbo, not letting it boost over 15. And he suggested replacing the turbo. I got a like new TDO4 for 120 bucks I'm gonna toss in it tomorrow. Head down to the shop for a new tune and see if that fixes it.

What I mean by it feels like it always has is that, it feels like it has every bit of power that it's had for the last couple years that I been driving it.
#22 Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
if your not hitting boost you have a few things to look for. wastegate malfunction, wastegate door operation, boost leak, the tune itself, stock 2-port or aftermarket 3-port operation just to name a few. if your sure you have no leaks id have to ask how you know? unless you hook up an air compressor via a home made cap thing you will never know forsure! that should be your first step. you can make one by using a CAI to inlet coupling, 2" PVC pipe end cap, drill a hole and install a tire valve stem from NTB.

once you start pumping the system up you will start hearing a loud hissing leak before you start to hear a low droan or a water bong sound thats your evap system kicking in. leaks are pretty easy to hear.

if that ant it then before you pull the turbo take off the DP and check the wastegate door operation. you should be able to pull it open and closed and look for smooth operation and/or anything inside the turbine housing causing trouble. look for turbine cracks too on the inside.

if those arent it the tune and boost control solenoid will need closer inspection by your tuner. if nothing was touched and all of a sudden boost is dropping id bet its a leak or wastegate failure. the other reasons are not so likely.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#23 Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Always love when you put your home made flesh light up on the forums!Laugh!

-Chris
#24 Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Always love when you put your home made flesh light up on the forums!Laugh!
!Cry!

Funniest crap I've seen all day!

#25 Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
I had already just about finished installing the new turbo by the time I saw your post about trying to use the cap to check for leaks. I'm gonna finish it up in the morning and if it is still doing it I will definitely give it a try.

I also noticed when pulling my intercooler out that they had left one of the hose clamps loose after installing my boost gauge. he clamp closest to the bov was loose. Could this have anything to do with it?
#26 Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
could be. leaks dont start till you hit that leaks limit to hold back pressure. if the pressure got to high then it could start leaking off. 15psi could be the limit to whatever is your problem. proper boost checks are always the first thing one should do and do often. doesnt hurt every 3k when doing oil changes to pull the intake and do a quick boost check.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#27 Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
Doesnt hurt every 3k when doing oil changes to pull the intake and do a quick boost check.
Agreed, I need an air compressor. Don't think a bike pump would be too effective

-Chris
#28 Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08DGM View Post
I had already just about finished installing the new turbo by the time I saw your post about trying to use the cap to check for leaks. I'm gonna finish it up in the morning and if it is still doing it I will definitely give it a try.

I also noticed when pulling my intercooler out that they had left one of the hose clamps loose after installing my boost gauge. he clamp closest to the bov was loose. Could this have anything to do with it?
Mine has the same issues your is having, and I noticed my left hose clamp was lose and also almost like it was coming off. I will be pulling it this weekend and cleaning it up and tightening it. I hope this fixes the issue.

Just Curious:

Are you using an AP?

Mine is showing:
WG DC - 62% at minimal throttle input. (When I say minimal I mean super feather touch on the pedal)

Also when I hit 7.3 psi, thats when my whining starts.

Turbo dynamics - Once I hit 7.3psi it goes into the negative like the turbo isn't holding pressure.

So my guess is based on what I have read I am going to tighten the clamp and possibly order a new wastegate.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
#29 Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
Another simple check would be your y pipe gaskets under your TMIC. I put a Turbo xs TMIC on my car and I had a similar problem. I did pressure checks Boost leak tests and found nothing. The gaskests did not look bad, but when I put some gasketing silicone on them and re - installed it the problem was gone...something to try if you have not come up with a solution to the problem.
#30 Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
I installed the new turbo, and the car seems to be running great. No more flutter and I had it boost's up to 18 psi. Take it down Friday for a new tune, gonna check it for leaks while I'm there.

Thanks for all the advice folks.