Wastegate Flutter? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wastegate Flutter?

Hey all, can't seem to find anything on the forums or any good videos.

After putting on my Perrin TMIC, I think I have some wastegate flutter. Towards the higher rpms I hear a sort of pulsing boost sound, but my boost holds steady around the 14 psi mark and drops off accordingly as I go towards redline. That tells me at least I'm not spiking, but at the same time I'm on the stock DP so I feel like I shouldn't have any wastegate flutter. I just don't know if a higher flowing intercooler would cause the sound. I also don't think it's compressor surge as it only makes the sound on boost, not after you let off the gas like typical compressor surge.

I'm just not sure if it's a small boost leak that doesn't show up until I'm pushing a lot of boost or actual flutter. If I can get a video of it I'll put it up. Right now I'm thinking I might tighten the actuator arm on the wastegate a turn or so and see if that reduces the sound. I'll also go through and check for a small boost leak, but it's definitely coming from the turbo side of the car. May just be a slight gap between the intercooler and turbo outlet (crappy design compared to the earlier WRXs IMO). I also don't want to tighten the wastegate arm if I don't have to.

My Mods that matter for this issue are:

Perrin TMIC
COBB Cat Back
Perrin CAI

Any input/ideas appreciated.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Sounds like normal boost noise. You will always have some "flutter" noise at the transition points of the wastegate. When it's just starting to open is when it will be noisiest. The only way to get rid of it is lower the boost. You just can't hear it with a stock setup. Take off your CAI and put your stock box on and it will almost entirely appear to be gone.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#3 Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
how is that setup working for you? just curious.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#4 Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Brad is right about this whole thing. I actually noticed it most with the Cobb TBE and SRI. When I upgraded the turbo and everything else, I cant really tell whats going on it makes so much noise.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well that answer works for me lol.... It just seems weird that it started after the TMIC install, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the power delivery of the turbo in the higher rpm range.

Boosted, to answer your question so far so good. The cat back and intake didn't really give me anything according to the butt dyno, but the TMIC did, even without any tuning so far. I know I've gained over the whole powerband- quicker spool ( I get full boost around 3300 or so), and definitely more upper rpm punch compared to the stock TMIC. It was really noticeable on the highway, 5th gear really pulls harder and I attribute that to the better flowing design of the Perrin TMIC.

In the near future I'll have the COBB DP and a road or dyno tune. I may also have PnP exhaust manifolds and crosspipe from Grimmspeed. I want to open the pre-turbo flow a bit, and I want to keep my boxer sound. From what I hear you get similar gains from the PnP setup compared to equal length headers for about half the price. Plus you keep the nice thick manifolds compared to thin walled aftermarket headers. This can all be expected in 2-3 months so I'll keep ya'll updated. My goal is 300 awhp/ 315-330 TQ and still is, but at my elevation (4200') and only having 91 octane, it'll be tough. If I was back home in Detroit at 600' and 93 octane I'd be golden.

-Chris
#6 Old 01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

crazyfast is an unknown
not that it necessarily has anything to do with the wastegate flutter, but if i read your last post correctly i would be pretty worried about engine knock with your current set up. with the intake and the top mount, especially with the lower octane gas, i would think that all of the extra dense air might be making your engine dangerously lean. imo you should get a tune on that thing pretty immediately
#7 Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

rety1-1 is an unknown
just wondering would that extra 2 octane really make that much of a difference?

wooot!!
new car!
'87 toyota supra turbo ;P
#8 Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes the extra 2 does make a difference. The big problem, however, is the elevation. It really kills the amount of O2 that you can get into the engine. Also, because of the elevation running lean shouldn't be too bad as I'm at 4200' elevation. Elevation makes a huge difference.

To add to my previous post, I just talked to GrimmSpeed and if I pick up that set of headers on the local classifieds they'll give me $80 extra towards my core- basically I'll get 220 back instead of 140. I just have to see how cheap I can get the extra set for (guy has them up for 40 bucks, I'm thinking he'll take 20 or 30) add in the extra shipping and I should still be able to save 20 or so bucks. Not much but hey, free money at that point.

-Chris
#9 Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
are you running any sort of engine management. I know when i threw a intake on mine it threw a CEL. it was also running extremely lean.
#10 Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

No CELs, you're at sea level and I'm not... As I pointed out in my previous post, elevation is HUGE. It also depends on the intake and tune you were running it on. The intake I have is safe for an untuned car. If you slapped an intake other than the AEM on that XPT tune you have, it'll throw it off since I believe that's all it called for. The K&N you have now, well they have a map for and I assume that's why you got it.

-Chris
#11 Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
I'm glad I found a post here on this fluttering. I am having it as well, though my turbo will not boost over 15 psi. It hit's 15 psi, holds for a second then drops about 6 psi within the next few seconds. I have had a couple different suggestions on what it could be. I have been told to replace the turbo because the waste gate is bad. I also have been suggested getting a manual boost controller to test the waste gate because the stock boost control could be bad. Any opinions?

Im on a pro tune with a full exhaust and a ram air intake.
#12 Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What are you reading the boost from ? Any engine management ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#13 Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
What are you reading the boost from ? Any engine management ?
I have an SPT boost gauge. But my tuner also had the computer hooked up to it last weekend and couldn't get it over 15 psi.
#14 Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Did you check for leaks? Thats the most common problem. But I wouldnt suggest a MBC, look into a nice 3port like grimmspeed if you are still on your stocker. Only downside to it is you need another tune. But you and the car will both be happier afterwords.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

08DGM is an unknown
Ya their are no leaks. I have a new turbo, gonna replace it and see if that fixes it.