Warranty policy on new 2012 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deans_socash is an unknown
Warranty policy on new 2012

Hey guys, new to the forum. I just bought a brand new 12 wrx 5door and I was wondering if anyone knows the bolt on options I have without the void of my 36,000mile warranty. I called Subaru multiple times and couldnt get a hold of a human. All help is greatly appreciated , thanks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Catback

Kthanksbai

All kidding aside. You are safer just doing a Catback... And let the rest wait.

With that said, not one "upgrade" will void your warranty.... This is illegal.

Unless the specific upgrade can be at "fault" for the warranty claim....

Make sense?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#3 Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Catback

Kthanksbai

All kidding aside. You are safer just doing a Catback... And let the rest wait.

With that said, not one "upgrade" will void your warranty.... This is illegal.

Unless the specific upgrade can be at "fault" for the warranty claim....

Make sense?
Gauge cluster will. *waves tongue*

It can't be voided, but mods can lead to claim denial and/or red flagging, either because the problem can somehow be linked to the aftermarket part or because "if you drive a modded car you must abuse it". I never flagged any accounts for mods when I was a service rep, because I'm not an asshole. But some people will. Just find a mod friendly dealership near you and ask what's acceptable to them. AND NEVER LIE ABOUT WHAT'S DONE. They will know when you do.
#4 Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alright I feel you. I just don't want to be flagged down if something does go wrong. There's only one subaru dealer around me and the salesperson probably didn't know what he was talkin about but I asked him what mods can I do to the car, he said nothing until you finish the warranty. I'll look into the cat back but I was really hoping to put an AEM cold air. If anything I could just remove it before I bring it in for them to look at. Again I'm pretty new to the world of car mechanics so all advice is greatly appreciated. Real quick q/a if you guys don't mind, I'm at 1225 miles I've had the car for 13 days , when should I do my first oil change? I understand that the special oil to break in the car is important but my "know it all" uncle is telling me to change the oil around 1500 and not put it on record. Any thoughts on this?

#5 Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Your service manual tells you when to change the oil. Off the top of my head, the 1st stated oil change is 3,750. A catback, mechanically, won't affect anything other than the exhaust hangers, so you should be fine on that one. Intake, ask.
#6 Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
I'm not an asshole.
Why you lie to the nice man?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#7 Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
LOL paul.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
LOL paul.
Wise guys huh?

#9 Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans_socash View Post
Alright I feel you. I just don't want to be flagged down if something does go wrong. There's only one subaru dealer around me and the salesperson probably didn't know what he was talkin about but I asked him what mods can I do to the car, he said nothing until you finish the warranty. I'll look into the cat back but I was really hoping to put an AEM cold air. If anything I could just remove it before I bring it in for them to look at. Again I'm pretty new to the world of car mechanics so all advice is greatly appreciated. Real quick q/a if you guys don't mind, I'm at 1225 miles I've had the car for 13 days , when should I do my first oil change? I understand that the special oil to break in the car is important but my "know it all" uncle is telling me to change the oil around 1500 and not put it on record. Any thoughts on this?

i changed my oil 3 times before 3k. once below 500 to get all the new metal shavings out of the motor and once at 1000 and then at 3. some issues with these cars is these micro tiny oil screens you have in the car, one before the turbo and one behind the drivers side timing belt cover. they can get clogged real easy. flushing the motor sooner than later can only help things.

subi used to say 3600 miles and then raised it to 7600 miles and motors started blowing with clogged screens. so the brought it back down to 3600. then in 2011 they started using synthetic from the factory and now its 7600 again but nothing was changed with the screens. synthetic in my eyes doesnt stop the bad stuff from happening and its also horrible for a break in oil. but now you'll just have to live with what you got. hopefully you dont burn oil as subi says 1/2-1qt is normal between fill ups. funny i burn zero.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#10 Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Dave B is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
i changed my oil 3 times before 3k. once below 500 to get all the new metal shavings out of the motor and once at 1000 and then at 3. some issues with these cars is these micro tiny oil screens you have in the car, one before the turbo and one behind the drivers side timing belt cover. they can get clogged real easy. flushing the motor sooner than later can only help things.
Pretty sure the screens were removed in the later EJ25 turbos with the exception of a screen near the AVCS system.
#11 Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

nope they're still there. the two that im talking about are in the left and right avcs lines. one right before the turbo under the inlet tube and the other behind the drivers side timing belt cover. you cant get to that one unless you pull off the timing belt, cam gears, and then the cover. they're the banjo bolts with the circle head on top instead of being flat.

#12 Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Now how much oil does the 2012 wrx take and what oil filter? If ya dont mind informing me I'd really appreciate it

#13 Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Use a Suby filter, and then check the manual for the capacity. Pretty sure it hasn't changed from the 5.25qts IIRC

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#14 Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thank you brotha

#15 Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

its 4.5qt, 4.8 with filter i believe but i always end up doing 5 to get the oil to the top line on the dip stick. if its 5.25 that must be the old cars with the oil coolers.