walbro 255 fuel pump install is a headache - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

djc1827 is an unknown
walbro 255 fuel pump install is a headache

We went to install my header and up pipe and decided to do the fuel pump first to allow my car to cool down. Easy 1 hour job right? No think again! Once we get the sending unit out which is plastic, we go to put the new pump in. Doesnt fit. Okay thats weird. So i research apparently we have to grind it down to make it fit. So we compare it to the stock pump and grind it down. Still doesnt fit. So we had to grind down inside of the plastic sending unit. After doing this it finally fit, but real snug. Now we have tons of plastic in there. So after cleaning it out the best we could we put it back together. (dont use water) Use gas to flush it out. Maybe a wet vac. Get creative on cleaning it out cause these new cars dont come with alotta fuel filters.

The only way around this process is buying another brand of pump for 2-300$
Thought i would share this post for others looking to upgrade there pump

11.82 at 116mph
stock turbo 2011 wrx
337whp 411tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
ya its a pain but not bad. just grind down the inner housing where the pump sits into, theres 5 total little tabs. i took it inside and flush with WATER, rung it out, made sure all the little grinded peices were out and slaped it all back together. just as long as everyone knows re-use your stock filter sock and there will be a bulge on the bottem of there housing where the filter sock is pushing on it from with in. the housing will clip back together but will leave a small gap, no biggy its normal.

follow this and you should be all good. How To: Walbro 255lph Pump for 2008 STi/WRX/LGT - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #3 of 11 Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

djc1827 is an unknown
walbro and companies who sell there products should tell people this stuff. I hate surprises

11.82 at 116mph
stock turbo 2011 wrx
337whp 411tq
post #4 of 11 Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The AVO fits better.. All you do is trim four tabs inside the housing and it clicks in place... 300 buck but a better pump IMO. The AVO is on my list.

-Chris
post #5 of 11 Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
The AVO fits better.. All you do is trim four tabs inside the housing and it clicks in place... 300 buck but a better pump IMO. The AVO is on my list.
$300 vs $70, 10lph less AND you have to cut your harness and put the avo harness on because your harness doent fit the avo pump. your insane if you want to do all that!! and theres 5 total tabs, gonna bet anything you cant just grind 4. theres 2 on the middle part that must be ground down, and i dont see how you can get away from grinding 2 out of 3 of the outer ones.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I was told by my tuner that the AVO really isnt worth the extra cost (of course this is on my 07). The walboro is more than sufficient for most setups. But thats the only experience I have with it, word of mouth.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 11 Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
$300 vs $70, 10lph less AND you have to cut your harness and put the avo harness on because your harness doent fit the avo pump. your insane if you want to do all that!! and theres 5 total tabs, gonna bet anything you cant just grind 4. theres 2 on the middle part that must be ground down, and i dont see how you can get away from grinding 2 out of 3 of the outer ones.
Woah there killer... I was talking out of the top of my head. My bad, there's five.

Now, time to pick apart the rest of the post.

245 lph vs 255 lph

245 is plenty 255 is even more plenty

To elaborate, 1000cc injectors flow at 1L per minute. The WRX has four. If you run 1000cc injectors you can run at 100% IDC for an hour and hit 240 liters of fuel. The avo can flow 245 lph, walbro 255. Oh I forgot, your gas tank is empty 45 minutes ago and you probably blew up your engine.

AVO- Variable voltage. Enough said.

It's also plug and play, confirmed by guys I know and the shop I go to.

The avo pump from all my sources has 100x better fitment than the walbro aka it's not squeezed into the casing and from the walbro installs I've seen, there's enough restriction in the cramped install to probably reduce flow below avo levels. That's just my feelings on the install.

Trust me, I was gung-ho about the walbro until I did my research. It's a good pump, but I feel comfortable spending the extra money on the avo.

-Chris
post #8 of 11 Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

hey what do i know besides what i can read. if you dont have to replace the harness like the directions say, then more power to ya! you still need to grind all 5 tabs like the Walbro, so in the end you still have the same amount of time installing a fuel pump, you have way more pump then you actually need from both and you spent $230 more doing it whatever floats your boat! wish i had your job

http://www.rallitek.com/avofupuup.html

PS if you would please! measure the AVO length wise and take a pic of the bottom of the pump housing, i want to see if it bulges. O and theres no restrictions on the Walbro. the filter socks inner parts are keeping it wide open for lots of fuel

post #9 of 11 Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

something i just noticed the AVO makes you grind 2 more outer tabs opposed to the 2 inner tabs for the Walbo. that means the AVO is actually larger around.

the blue is the 3 tabs you need to grind for the Walbro and the AVO

the Yellow is the 2 tabs you need to grind for the Walbro

the Red is the 2 tabs you need to grind for the AVO

post #10 of 11 Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes, my job does pay well, but it still doesn't make a $300 pump easier to swallow than a $100 pump:eek:. . I just have to save for a couple weeks longer than the walbro (I have a $80/wk car fund).

The avo clicks in place like the stock pump, whereas the walbro is just kinda forced in the housing and stays in place because it's tight. I don't have the pump yet, but when I do I can get some pictures of it to show how it fits in the housing. I probably won't get the pump until after my tune. Probably not the best idea but my tune may have been pushed up to April 17th, before I was planning on having the cash in my car fund to get the pump. If the tune falls through, which I'm kinda hoping for, I'll get the pump and then tune. Either way I'm getting my DP in three weeks and I'm putting it on right before I tune, which may be early April or sometime in May.

-Chris
post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

NJwagon is an unknown
ya wet vac idea dont sound the greatest with sucking gas out electricty and spark unless you want a hot burnt car