Subaru WRX Forum banner

Upgrade turbo

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Currently new to imports and moding. I have a 2013 wrx sedan with few mods done such as after market exhaust, short throw shifter, and a lower kit, but my next goal it to upgrade the hp and performance. I was looking for a bolt on turbo where I can just swap and don't have to mess around with an intake or any other mods. I'm a college student and on somewhat of a budget so any help would be great.

#2 ·
thats impossible without blowing up your engine. almost every mod done to these cars needs a proper tune, let alone supporting mods

to "slap" on a larger than stock turbo, you will need, injectors, fuel pump, engine management and a bunch of other stuff. depending how big you go, you might need a intercooler as well.

then you have to consider suspension and brakes and tires. you cant have 400hp in a car without brakes/tires/suspension because you will end up dead against a wall or tree.

here is the unabombers manifesto to get you started: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 read it in its entirety. on the shitter is when i get most of my reading done.

after youre done with the manifesto, heres some good info as well: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/what-do-first-59649/

cheers, and happy modding!

Reactions: Carl David
#3 ·
Without having to do a bunch of supporting mods all you will need to technically do is get a 16g turbo and pro tune.

However... a turbo inlet while your in there would be a REALLY good idea.

Since you haven't laid out your end goals its hard to really give you a direction. Are you looking to do things more than once? (like go from a 16g turbo to a 20g turbo to a rotated set-up) I try my best to do things 1 and done as best I can to avoid double purchases.

Just with a protune on your stock set-up you will notice a huge difference in performance. With a 16g turbo, turbo inlet and tune you will feel even more and you will here that turbo so much more.

#4 ·
Before you grab more power please install a master cylinder brace. The 11-14 years have a very soft firewall and they need that brace to stiffen up the brakes, otherwise you are pushing the brakes with the master cylinder on a spring. it doesnt matter how much power you have, the wall at the end of the road has more horsepower than you.

As far as making more power Im with GSMZ, get yourself a pro tune for your existing setup and drive that a bit. You will likley find that the power comes on sooner and is smoother than your existing tune. If you are running a turboback exhaust ( with a downpipe ) then you need to tune ASAP. It is not good for the engine to run with aftermarket exhausts other than catbacks without a tune.

With a proper professional tune and a performance down pipe you can put down 275-285 to the wheels without replacing the turbo. Thats a 50HP jump over stock from just a downpipe and a stage 2 pro tune.

hope that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.