27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Course, maybe it's your BPV seizing up and surging into your turbo and your wastegate is quite happy. #### if I know.
How could I tell the difference myself? Is there's a key thing one does that the other doesn't so I can tell? I'm guessing it's not that easy lol! But there's gotta be a way of telling for sure?.?.

I've watched videos of both. Surge seems to happen during acceleration near redline, where flutter happens only during shifts. Right?.?.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Surge seems to happen during acceleration near redline, where flutter happens only during shifts. Right?.?.

Sounds correct to me cause during shifts is the only time the bpv is doing anything unless its leaking.
the RIOT act likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#33 Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Take that motha off and inspect it. You can rule out a few things that way.
the RIOT act likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#34 Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Ok, so now that I feel like an abusive animal owner lol! I just took it out and did the following. Lemme know if this changes anything.

Still did it first off so temp/alt def isn't the problem here. So why am I just feeling this now is my biggest question??

Does not do anything besides bang the rev limiter at 7k in a parked position revving the $h!t out of it. I'm thinking sitting in neutral and redlining it isn't telling much cause there's no boost being built in neutral...but tried it anyways.

Does not flutter in any gear except 4th and 5th gears. I don't have to redline it or be in WOT to make it flutter either so I would've felt this long ago...so it's def something new. As long as I was over 10psi it would flutter if I dumped the gas pedal whether WOT or not.

Thoughts?.?.

#35 Old 10-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Take that motha off and inspect it. You can rule out a few things that way.
I will be doing this next! Gonna take it apart, clean it, take the shims out, install RTV, and try this again to see if there's any improvements.

#36 Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
So you're running an aftermarket BOV????

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#37 Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
So you're running an aftermarket BOV????
I run a Forge v2 BPV Keith. Pretty sure I mentioned that in one of my posts, but apologize if I didn't. That's why I've been talking about swapping springs/shims. Why what's up?

#38 Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

texasmr2 is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Does not do anything besides bang the rev limiter at 7k in a parked position revving the $h!t out of it.

Does not flutter in any gear except 4th and 5th gears. I don't have to redline it or be in WOT to make it flutter either so I would've felt this long ago...so it's def something new. As long as I was over 10psi it would flutter if I dumped the gas pedal whether WOT or not.

Thoughts?.?.

1. Why the hell are you hitting the rev limiter while parked?
2. The BOV only reacts when the engine is under load ie being driven.

It sounds like to me you are just abusing the car 'boy racer style' and have no concept of how a turbocharged engine operates. The GD Subaru WRX/STi works off the same principles as any other forced induction engine.
#39 Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmr2 View Post
1. Why the hell are you hitting the rev limiter while parked?
2. The BOV only reacts when the engine is under load ie being driven.

It sounds like to me you are just abusing the car 'boy racer style' and have no concept of how a turbocharged engine operates. The GD Subaru WRX/STi works off the same principles as any other forced induction engine.
Hey d!€k I suggest slowing your role! You're seriously rubbing a lot of people the wrong way around here and I assure you that you don't wanna come at me that way!

I've been modding cars, racing 4cyl enduros, and AutoXing since I was a teen so I assure you I'm no newb to either modding or driving. Yes, FI systems are new to me but I didn't see you in here offering ways to diagnose this problem, so I'm basically trying things out to see the cars reaction. Revving my car to redline a few times is FAR from the worst thing in the world to do.

So don't come in blazing guns and just running your mouth cause you'll get put in your place real quick!

You must have missed the part where I said I'm NOT at WOT and NOT peeking boost. Nor do I ever beat my car up...as I've also mentioned numerous times.

Now if you have something relevant or intelligent to say I'm all ears, but if not stay off my thread.

09bluewrx likes this.

#40 Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
I run a Forge v2 BPV Keith. Pretty sure I mentioned that in one of my posts, but apologize if I didn't. That's why I've been talking about swapping springs/shims. Why what's up?
That is your issue right there...see it in green... Keith's Grumpy rule for Subaru's #1 Unless you are making a crap ton of power, no need for a BOV, even if it's a fancy aftermarket one...Granted the stockers on the newer models aren't that great, but I bet if you put the a stock BPV on, your issue will go away...I will go away now and not bother you anymore with my grumpy a$$...
the RIOT act likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#41 Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
That is your issue right there...see it in green... Keith's Grumpy rule for Subaru's #1 Unless you are making a crap ton of power, no need for a BOV, even if it's a fancy aftermarket one...Granted the stockers on the newer models aren't that great, but I bet if you put the a stock BPV on, your issue will go away...I will go away now and not bother you anymore with my grumpy a$$...
I love your grumpy ass Keith...please no leave me! 😜 I don't need people to love every mod that I do or agree with every statement I make to play nice together on a forum lol!

And yes I know how you feel about valves too lol! I just read too many threads about leaking OE valves on 08+ and figured I should just do it while I was going to stage 2 as I also know they don't handle more than 19psi reliably (from posts I've read and talking to tuners) and the stage 2 put me at 18psi. I will try removing the shims and if that doesn't work I'll try the stock BPV. I'm sure that'll def solve the problem at this point as we're certainly looking at a flutter issue, but I'd hate to take a $180 part off that's been paid for lol!

Why you wanna buy it? You know you want it Keith! 😉

#42 Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Will an earlier model from like a 02-05 WRX fit the newer cars?

damn ricers<---hidden message...lol
the RIOT act and arewmors like this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#43 Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Aaaahh...why thank you sir! I could def care less about the sound of a BPV and only replaced it cause it was half way cheap and I heard so many bad stories about the OE one. If removing the shims doesn't work I'll bolt my OE valve back on till it starts leaking.

So the 02-05 will handle more boost more reliably?

#44 Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
I believe the older ones are metal not crapy plastic like our new ones

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#45 Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah I def remember hearing/reading that as well Andy now thy you say that...