Turbo Sound (Did my research) Intake recommendation please. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXNJ13 is an unknown
Turbo Sound (Did my research) Intake recommendation please.

Hi, I did some research about changing to BOV. but read all the problems that could occur from doing that. (NOT GOING TO DO IT)

So the alternative is an intake?

what intake would you recommend? and what tuner? also if you have sound clip would be nice I heard the Cobb intake on youtube. sounds really nice. anyone know where I can get a good deal on that and is the tune required for just an intake? if yes what tuner would you recommend.

Thanks!

I have 2013 wrx base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
COBB....

Get an AP first before your mods...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown

Have a Cobb intake on my 06 Wrx with turbo back exhaust and Cobb stage 2 tune. The intake sound ill have to say is louder then my turbo xs hybred bov.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#4 Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXNJ13 is an unknown
So I have been doing more research and saw that some people say that AP is required to a do any modification even intake.

so I think I will do the following (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I have this OBD2 adapter which connects via Bluetooth to my phone and I can set it to log Mass Air Flow Rate.

I hope it's accurate. I will drive with my stock intake and log it, I will drive with cobb intake without tune and log it.

Will this make sense to determine if there is significant difference or not.

I'm not an expert just trying to see if I need to spend close to $600 on an ap, void my warranty, and all this when all I'm probably going to do is just the air intake (until i get the modding bug that is going around here).

What do you guys think?
#5 Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage

It def changes it to lean enough conditions to cause damage. A lot of people with warranties start with the suspension to not due so as it's also a weak spot on the new Rex's. But I know you want the sound the intake will give you, and the stock tune map is borderline dangerous. So I (and many others) just get the supporting mods needed to go stage 2 and be done with it. But if you don't wanna void the warranty stay away from an AP or intake. Best of luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#6 Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

eradicate is an unknown
I have an aem cold air intake and the ap in my car. all u need to do is reflash the stock map back onto the car before you take it in for anything and they dont know. whenever i go in for any kind of work i stop at a gas station a block away, reflash the stock map back on and take the ap with me. warranty is good as long as they dont know.
#7 Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXNJ13 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicate View Post
I have an aem cold air intake and the ap in my car. all u need to do is reflash the stock map back onto the car before you take it in for anything and they dont know. whenever i go in for any kind of work i stop at a gas station a block away, reflash the stock map back on and take the ap with me. warranty is good as long as they dont know.
according to other people on the forum the dealer can tell even if you re flash it to stock.

When I bought my car the dealer gave me this catalog from Subaru that has parts for sale. One of them is STP high flow intake.

why would they sell something like that if its going to make the engine run lean?
#8 Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yes, they can see if you flash it back. Once another map has been on it, they will always be able to tell if they look for it.
Cobb says their intakes don't require a tune, but opinions will very with that statement.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#9 Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXNJ13 View Post
according to other people on the forum the dealer can tell even if you re flash it to stock.

When I bought my car the dealer gave me this catalog from Subaru that has parts for sale. One of them is STP high flow intake.

why would they sell something like that if its going to make the engine run lean?
The SPT intake also has a reflash (not free of course) that's supposed to come with it.
#10 Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
I personally spoke to the service manager at a Connecticut subaru dealership (he was referred by a good friend) and he said at the dealer levels a reflash back to oem ecu can not be detected. They cant tell if its been flashed or not at there level. If you blow a motor, they have your ecu sent out to have it inspected deeper....and thats where they can tell.
#11 Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXNJ13 is an unknown
even cobb website states that 2008+ wrx must use tune.

can you guys look at the attached image. this is from my obd2 adapter. (not even sure if its accurate) does the attached make sense? will I be able to tell if major change happens with the new intake if I compare the attached info to the info I will obtain when I install the cobb intake?
Attached Images