Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo choices for 2011

38K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Vew 
#1 ·
Everyone is nasioc is totally useless so I figured I would post here now too...I had an 09 years ago then an 08 for about 2 weeks and now I am getting an 11wrx. I am trying to decide if I wanna push the limits of my vf52 again and try to hit 11s on pump or 110oct to break my own record. No meth this time I am also leaning towards the map 20g billet,Tomioka TD05-18G/20g, BNR 18-20g, or Kinugawa 16-20g.This thread is not bash chinese turbos so please don't waste your breath. My concern is will the trans and stock motor handle this kinda power? I also want to keep my tmic whether it be IPR/perrin/AVO. I kinda want a turbo that will rocket me into the 11s on pump but I don't want lag. I have read numerous threads of people hitting 350whp on 18g's bla bla on what dyno. Every dyno is different, mustang dynos calibrated read the lowest. I put down 315/359 on meth with my vf52 which would easily be 350whp on dynojets. So on that note, has anyone ran any of those turbos in the quarter mile on 5speed 09+? I don't wanna waste my money on a 18-20g unless its gonna put me into the 11s on pump with 20psi feeling me? What I want is not butt dyno sheets with these turbos like MAP has on there website. I want track times I have seen 400whp cars with 20g's running 12s bragging about it!Laugh!so can anyone provide with someone who can actually drag race with one of these turbos?

Setup on my 2011 (3200lbs est)

Turbo UNDECIDED
Gt or Tomioka equal length header (sorry I care more about flow than boxer rumble)
Nameless or custom CB exh
Invidia catless Dp
Cobb short ram intake
750s
255 pump
Grim ebcs
Map sensor
Act street disc
Inlet undecided
TMIC prob IPR cause they are 500$
enkei 17x8 15.7lb rims
bf drag radials
Dyno tune at EFI/STM/AMR?

P.s. Synolimit you are running a big turbo now, what happened you gave up on going fast with stock turbo? I always hoped someone would take my record so I could take it back...oh well most of the time people have to break there own records.. Hope u plan on building your motor buddy !Thumbs Up

See less See more
#2 ·
The 20G will do the 11's you desire easily especially on drags.

Buddy on an 18G on e85 was doing 11.3 - 11.6 in a 05Sti up in Killeen... Course he snapped an axle, but that's besides the point.

I only know of 1 person running a Tomioka 18G, I believe (psinuse) and he doesn't have access to a 1/4 track, just a 1/8th (02 WRX)

Good luck though

#5 ·
I've run 7.80s in the 1/8 mile which is roughly 12.10ish in the 1/4 mile. That is purely an estimate though and that was on a low boost setting(18psi) and on 93oct pump gas. I would imagine on 24psi I could hit 11's no problem other than my trans exploding. Oh and that is on a "Ebay" TD06 20g. I have had some things done to it before I put it on my car, but for $500, which includes the extra work done to it, it works just as good as some of the high dollar ones I have seen and used.

#6 ·
suspension I am doing 1" drop either eibach or tanabe, stock struts will be fine. Brakes seriously what planet are you from? Since when do you need brakes to go fast in a straight line? Stopping is over rated lol

Those times are great for 18g on e85 but do you think he could have ran high 11s on pump? I dont mind snapping axles its the trans and cyl num 4 that worries me with 20g. Remember I have 5speed not bullet proof 6speed. Maybe I should just keep the vf52 cause I think the 20g will let me down on pump gas especially at 20psi. That turbo needs high rpms and 25psi to breathe right plus my 750s will be stretching it on IDC. I will look into Process west tmic but if they are pricy I will just go FMS fmic for like 679$ shipped. I know some guy beat my pump gas record at 12.25 with fmic while I was running 12.31 on tmic. Of course it was 85 degrees and I was running 18s with cheap tires too and his car was probably lighter. I had the heavy weight wrx with nav/roof/etc

Hes right nobody is hitting 400whp on pump gas with 20g on mustang dyno....hell I would be happy with 350whp at 20psi but I dont wanna have to run high boost, create lag, push the limits of internals and heatsoak my tmic

#7 ·
A 20g won't lag much on your car. 2.5L you'd see boost around 3800 or so depending on tune and setup of course, so that's not alot of RPM. I ran 850's with my 20g for a while until I decided I will be upgrading to a GT35/40 soon.!Thumbs Up Why would cylinder #4 be an issue? I know #3 is suppose to run lean, but I haven't seen any ill effects and I am running the stock fuel rails.

#8 ·
2.5 liters make tq way better than 2.0 liter talon but I noticed one thing i hated about 20g turbos...they suck on pump gas. I ran 20psi on pump and 26psi on race gas. The difference was almost a sec in the quarter mile. 2.5 are tq monster and im sure they spool quicker than most but they also need to be shifted sooner than my talon. I shifted that at 7500-8000 rpms in every gear...just my two cents but I havent ran a 20g on 2.5 liters yet but what I am seeing is kinda disappointing...there is a reason I cant find good track times on 20g turbos cause nobody is pulling em without e85 or race gas or meth:mad:

#10 ·
Yea but you arent running 2.5 liter and you prob have built motor? And show me some mid 11s on pump gas dammit! Cyl number 4 always goes on the new 08+ they have weak piston rings of course I was running meth and we found a leak in the kit, who to blame the shop, the company, myself who knows. Either way I wont run meth again...just 110 for track and pump as daily

#11 ·
From my car or just any WRX? My motor is still smaller than yours and it also has a very low compression ratio, 6.9:1. Again the turbo choice is yours and what works for me may not be your thing, but it's an option non the less.

#15 ·
Other than forged piston, yes everything else is stock. I could run 11's on pump if I had a better trans setup...Keep in mind i'm still running 100k+ 03 trans and this car is my daily driver.

#13 ·
P.s. Synolimit you are running a big turbo now, what happened you gave up on going fast with stock turbo? I always hoped someone would take my record so I could take it back...oh well most of the time people have to break there own records.. Hope u plan on building your motor buddy !Thumbs Up
no big turbo yet. i wanted to max out the vf52 with every upgrade possible i could do in an easy manor ("cheap"). i did everything up to injectors and a bigger MAP. before i had them put on though im trading in for an 11 tomorrow. my payment is like $100 cheaper and i dont have to worry about the rock chipped paint, motor, tranny, or clutch on a new car with zero miles. (had 36,000) !Thumbs Up

the old set up had
EL header
ewg
Catless DP
CBE
CAI
3" inlet
FMIC
BOV
Blow through
air pump delete
tgv delete
parallel fuel lines
walbro 255
3 port
21psi to 15.5psi taper

new setup to max the vf52 will have all that but will add
750cc
aeromotive FPR
reversed JDM IM, longer runner TGVless
AEM 3.5 bar MAP
22-24psi to 16-17psi taper

after that and i see what she runs ill add on a new turbo. i was gonna do the GT/X/3076r EWG but im just loving this... i think 400/400 will be nice.

TopSpeed Motorsports | DOM 1.5 TESTING COMPLETE!!! - NASIOC

#16 ·
Bet you wont buy another black car lol I hated my 09 thing was dirty 10 min after I washed it. Gonna love my pearl white 11 when it gets here...damn natural disasters slowed down the shipment. psinuse, you have a nice car but woulda coulda shoulda...show me the track videos and timeslips. I know those trans are glass so build the trans up and go run 11s. Synolimit looks like your gonna mimic my setup but adding ext wg and tgv deletes just remember how much of a pain it is to go back once you delete tgv...no warranty work for you quickly buddy.. I don't think stock blocks can hold 400whp safely..yea some do it but its rare and they prob drive like ####ies never bringing it to the track or launching it hard. I do have faith in the trans 09+ tho. I launched my car over 10 times in a row at 5500 rpms with grabby act clutch never grinded or skipped a beat both times I went to the track running 12.3s on pump and 12.01 on meth

#17 ·
lmao! i had DGM and it too wouldnt stay clean. my white pearl showed up today from japan and i get it at 11am tomorrow. bet you, haha

think again, the JDM mani has no TGV's, my mani will be sitting in a corner with my TGV's, fuel rails, injectors, everything bolted still on it. all i have to do is pop one mani off and the other back on.

well depends on the dyno. my tuner runs around 230hp stock on his dynojet. he also just bought a mustang that sits right next to it!! ill ask and see what its putting down on stock vf52's. i have a feeling there around the same. even if its 15hp off, 400 on a dynojet and 385 on the mustang will be fine by me. if he doesnt advise it then 375 and 360 it will be.

#21 ·
well depends on the dyno. my tuner runs around 230hp stock on his dynojet. he also just bought a mustang that sits right next to it!! ill ask and see what its putting down on stock vf52's. i have a feeling there around the same. even if its 15hp off, 400 on a dynojet and 385 on the mustang will be fine by me. if he doesnt advise it then 375 and 360 it will be.
:rolleyes: You're right. Here we go again. You're gonna be sorely disappointed when that Mustang (properly calibrated) gives you results ridiculously less than you're wanting to believe. You think you're gonna make as much power as I did with a 20G on the highest reading AWD dyno in the Mid Atlantic.

I know people with 20g's and I shit on there cars with my vf52 light to light and at the track. Proof to me 20g's don't suck on pump gas and can hit 11s at 20psi without running high boost levels since they flow so much more thanks
I'd like to see that.

#20 ·
Dont take offense man but I don't preach the vf52 to be a good 11 sec turbo on pump gas cause its nearly impossible....race gas or e85/meth maybe but Im not trying to sell a turbo here or hurt feelings I just want some solid proof not exaggerating dyno numbers that mean nothing. I know people with 20g's and I shit on there cars with my vf52 light to light and at the track. Proof to me 20g's don't suck on pump gas and can hit 11s at 20psi without running high boost levels since they flow so much more thanks

#23 ·
I was hoping for a good thread to come along.

If you want to be serious about building a fast VF car (VF52 only record is kind of dumb IMO) the new benchmark is sub 11.5's oh and run E85 or you don't have a chance (unless you pull the body off the car, then maybe). I have a feeling there will be a VF powered Subaru nipping at the heels of 10's before the end of 2012.

Just a word for the wise: don't shit on other people's cars

Subscribed.

#26 ·
Ninja edit!
BTW Kieth I think I've set in my mind that I'm going to run the 52 on the built longblock just to see how it does on higher compression and built heads. I'm curious to find out.
I see what you did there....:shhh: Now it will be a good thread...:p

Best of luck and if you need some help please feel free to ask. I can only give you my experience, which I guess is limited to building crappy 20g powered low compression cars...Meh but I digress.

#27 ·
Guys are barely breaking the 210whp on mustang dynos vs your butt dynos on stock sti's. That being said my 315/359 would be 350/400 on butt dyno thus making the same power with my vf52 on meth vs your 20g on pump making the 20g an over rated turbo. If it wasn't over rated I would have bought it by now. Thats why I am on the edge...feeling me. Yea people will be running 11.50s with vf52 who me? Nobody can drive and has touched my record in like 18 months lol And on top of that nobody is running 10s without shaving 400 lbs from there car like the 11.69 vf39 car who holds the sti record next to me. Proof is in the pudding shall i repost again? People were speechless about my dyno numbers and timeslip. Proving again dynos mean nothing and track times tell the truth. Vf52 is a damn good turbo and does the 18g live up to its expectations...only one way to find out cause nobody here is giving me answer you guys just talk out of your ass and make excuses for high dyno number and no timeslips to back it up

New record on vf52 - NASIOC

#28 ·
Look i Put down 400whp on butt dyno and run 12s yah lol, your sti's are bullet proof trans but how do you like shifting into 3rd to hit 60mph or maybe 5th gear in the quarter mile lol.....Don't hate congradulate

#32 ·
30%? you need dragged behind a horse and hung. whats the average 20g push? 44 lb/min? the blouch 20gxtr pushes 47 lb/min so im guessing there 20g runs 44 lb/min. sorry to burst your bubble but the vf52 isnt a 30 or 32 lb/min turbo. the TD04 is but not the 52. at most its a 39 lb/min and i always said it’s a 38 lb/min. (but I guess you’ll argue with this too!) so whats that mean then???? The vf52 is a 30-32 lb/min turbo? Whats that make the TD04?? 20 lb/min? your insane.

so to end this so you'll stop talking to me cause you’re the most annoying person on this forum, a 10% difference will show similar numbers. you point out a dynapac dyno. all day long a vf52 can get within 10% of those numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 350hp with a lot of bolt on's and boost can or even more boost and E85 can get even higher. O did i mention the vf52 will crush those down low numbers since it will out spool that larger/slower turbo!!!?? you must be nuts if you think tuners dynos are that far off when a vf52 with supporting mods and e85 cant do 400+ TQ. your 380tq is pathetic. Shawn church in cali runs a dynapac just like this one and ive seen the figures of 390tq on cali 91 with low boost! The numbers match, end of story.

Till you show me a whole bunch of mustangs that run wrx’s at <200hp stock, you are completely wrong. And if you do show me a bunch you’re still wrong. The wrx does not have more than 20% drive train loss. 265 (if that is their real number, which I don’t think it is) x20%=212hp. So what you’d be telling me is the wrx makes 180hp “on a real dyno, cause im barf and know so much” and has 32% DTL?????????????? The reason you’re wrong is because those are the dyno’s that are messed up! Their forced to read way to LOW, not that ours are reading to high. I still gained 120hp from modding. That’s still 300hp and that’s only on 15.5psi at redline on stock injectors. Add 2psi more and some mods and ill let you come cry on my shoulder on your little crappy low reading mustang when it breaks 300hp even if its only by 1hp.

#33 ·
Use more punctuation. People might take you more seriously.

You post shows a complete lack of understanding of what dynos are for and how they should be read. As well as a lack of understanding about making power with Subarus.

I'm the most annoying to you because I actually call you out for it for fear that someone that doesn't know better might actually believe your nonsense. Stop before the hole you dug yourself gets too deep for you to get out of.

Also, a stock bugeye made in the 170 whp range on the 1st dyno that my car had ever been on. That's almost 25%. And your VF52 does not flow as much as you stated.

#34 ·
This is why I use airboy... No fighting.

Stock 09's make in the 210 range. My car now makes 350 airboy. I picked up 140ish hp. Done. No argument. Somebody else can do the same thing in MA as I can here in NE with airboy.

The quick answer is to just back up your power with a 1/4 mile trap speed (NOT ET). Trap speed is a very good way to judge power, ET judges the driver.

Scott, if you have one, I'd like to get a 3rd gear log of you car and I'll run it on airboy. Not sure if you have any that aren't on a dyno, but it would dispel some of the hate. I just ran a stock 08 yesterday or two days ago and it came out to about 165/210 on airboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.