Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tune?

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  SubieDylan 
#1 ·
so i just did a major upgrade to my wrx including a blouch 16g, new 850cc injectors and fuels pump and invidia turboback exhaust. i have not gotten a tune yet and im wondering if that is what is causing the loss in power and all around rough drive. i know a tune is required but i didnt expect the car to have zero power without one. is this normal? or did i perhaps install something wrong? there are no leaks oil or gas, and the car idles fine, a little lower than what im used to before install but i can tell fuel pump is working. just wondering if this is standard performance b4 tun or what?

#2 ·
You need a tune!
And also, you might want to get a tune.

You may also want to upgrade your intake at this point, not required for your level. But probably not a bad idea for a simple $200.

And last but not least.... Your upgrade requires a tune!

Reactions: LW_Black4
#4 · (Edited)
None of the 'improvements' you've made to the engine become an improvement until you get an engine tune that takes advantage of them.

Essentially you've re-engineered the engine with the changes and the ECU assumes you've still got the stock hardware mounted.

It also helps to develop a relationship with a tuning shop, because you'll need to go back to them to update the engine tune if you make any further changes.

This is the part of owning a trick machine that is higher cost and more maintenance than a stock WRX. It's like the duality of a woman (or guy for that matter); some parts are great, and others hard to live with. Ha ha.

#6 ·
Yes the first thing you need to do is call a tuner... good luck lol. If your a/f is off then you are damaging your engine. To what extent idk.

Your problems sound like symptoms of too rich a/f. With all those mods it has to be rich, off boost anyway. A wideband sensor (like AEM Uego) will tell you if you are rich or lean and when, once you learn how to read it. Make sure there are no post turbo leaks i.e. loose hose clamps etc. Also you can check all your vacuum lines and intake manifold hose connections for a popped hose. If you want to get anal you could have a shop leak test the vacuum lines. When I popped an intercooler hose it idled so rough that it died.
If I had to guess I'd blame the injectors for causing low idle and roughness (rich a/f). I watch my a/f at idle and when it is rich the idle drops and raises when it's lean.

Props on the diy job! You probably already know but..when modifying your car you are mostly on your own. Yes a tuner relationship is pretty much mandatory unless you're a pro but when they say "it should be fine" that sometimes means "I have no idea". Ask them the right questions to find out their experience and knowledge level. Don't be too quick to trust and never assume. My 0.02

Oh and if you do get an intake, know that a short ram without a box will cause intake temps up to 170 degrees! (I have one) Cold air or short ram + cold air box i.e. Cobb SF etc.

#8 ·
the tuner that I'm using said nothing about the car being un-drivable and was very surprised when i told him i did entire install of turbo, exhaust, and injectors in under 6hrs in the rain.

i do already have an upgraded intake, i have a k&n short ram with a heat shield box and i left the stock piping in place to funnel cold air directly to the filter location.

unfortunately I'm really limited here in hawaii as what tuners there are to choose from...

#10 ·
well i have not really "driven the car" per se. i just started it and moved it about a block to make sure i had no leaks. as soon as i noticed there was no power and it was bogging i parked it and stopped the engine. i didn't want to mess anything up before i talked to someone more knowledgeable about these things than me.
i got no prob with wrenching on cars but the electrical and computer things elude me.

#13 ·
With all the work you did, its worth the money to have a tow. With the parts you described you've got more fuel more air and a faster than stock exhaust. There is no way your ecu could handle that without a tune. please do the responsible thing and have it towed, even if its only a few miles away.

#14 ·
Do not turn over the car without a new map for the 850cc injectors!! That mod alone can and will severely screw your engine up. What model year do you have? You need a limp map for the new injectors to even idle it right without boost. Repeat...Read this!! Do not turn your car over. Have it towed like Jason said...

Reactions: arewmors
#15 ·
i have an 05 wrx.

or i was thinking that i could go back to stock injectors temporarily so its drivable. i know thats kinda redundant and more work but at least i would be able to have a working car until i can get it tuned after all its only a few hrs of work for injectors...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.