Top mount air box - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

operadude is more helpful than not
Top mount air box

Has any performance company thought of building a top mount air box for 2008+ WRX & STI owners with front mount intercoolers?
I always thought about it, then I saw it used in the new XGames 2011 WRX STI rally car.
It would be neat to see how well it works.
Attached Images

Fabio
2008 VF52 WRX Opensource Magnus Motorsports Stage 3 Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Besides getting very dirty very fast I like it. It'd probably be a hard fit without a lot of piping unless you want rotated as well.

-Chris
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
umm i take it there taking advantage of the hood scoop thats no longer being used?? probably. now how well you think the car will work as you suck 100% rain water and snow down into the motor?

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I can see its use on a non dd car, but yeah, didn't even think of that one.

-Chris
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
umm i take it there taking advantage of the hood scoop thats no longer being used?? probably. now how well you think the car will work as you suck 100% rain water and snow down into the motor?
I did some more research and found that a company called Gravelsports used to make one for the older Imprezza RS normally aspirated cars that used to have the non functional hood scoop. Anyway, there were no problems with water ingestion or snow except for comments from people that did not have this particular intake. The consensus from people that actually had this intake was that there were no ill effects from rain, snow or dirt. The filter was effective at preventing dirt water and snow from getting in. Since they don't make the Imprezza RS with a hood scoop anymore, these intakes are not made anymore.
However, since many WRX and STI owners often convert to FMIC's, it would be interesting to see if this set up works any better than the conventional CAI's from AEM, Perrin, TXS, etc. If it does, It may be another way to go for people with FMIC's.
Maybe if there is anyone with connections to Vermont Sportcars, the company that built the XGames 2011 rally car from which the pictures above were taken who is willing to talk, we may find out what the benefits might be.

Fabio
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
again for a rally car or drag car maybe some positive out comes. but heat rises also so your sucking in the hottest air possible so...again i dont see any good advantage of it.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
again for a rally car or drag car maybe some positive out comes. but heat rises also so your sucking in the hottest air possible so...again i dont see any good advantage of it.

Yup, it's true. Hot air rises. But this set up is getting cool air rammed in from outside ambient air and should enter quick enough that nothing will heat it up even if most of the air we are driving into is already deflected upward and over the front windsheild. Considering Subaru designed the front hood to receive air to cool the top mount intercooler, there should be plenty of fresh cooler air being sucked/rammed in especially if there is a decent seal. There is not much tubing to let it heat up on this set up pictured above either way.
Underhood filters like your setup draws air from inside the engine compartment and then passes even closer over the warmest part of the engine where all the heat rises to heat up the tubing which will more than likely heat up much more than the setup above. Where your setup may make more power is down low with additional torque because of the longer tube while the setup above I am willing to bet will make more top end whp while running cooler than yours because of the really short funnel.
The only way to know for sure though is to test it and since neither of us tested anything, we can't make any conclusions, just yet, just speculations. I'm sure the rally team had time to test both though and it looks like they went with the top mount air filter. It would be nice to see what their findings were.
Anyway, I just bought and installed the Process West Top mount intercooler so the Top mount air filter wouldn't work for me even if there was one out on the market. I'm just curious to see what the the benefits were and where it was making power.

Fabio