Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   TMIC to TB line up (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/tmic-tb-line-up-36802/)

jkpair 07-14-2013 02:56 PM

TMIC to TB line up

I just experienced the known issue with my TMIC to TB hose rubber boots ripping apart.
I removed the boots and reconnected the hose without. The question I have is how do you get the TMIC to line up with the mounting bracket after you remove the rubber boots, and if that is a bad idea what aftermarket hose do you recommend?

By the way I am new to the forums, and the car. Love this car and only had it for a couple months.

Thanks ahead for any help that can be provided.

psinuse 07-14-2013 04:19 PM

Okay do you mean the rubber hose that goes from the throttle body to the intercooler? Did you replace it it another one? As far as getting the intercooler to line up right I usually loosen the bracket bolts on the drivers side a bit to give them some play, once everything is lined up right I then start tightening everything down.

jkpair 07-14-2013 10:18 PM

Well the end caps that go on the stock hose. I put one back on for the tmic side to make it line up and mount. Iddidn't even think of loosening the bolts for the bracket. Oh well. But If I could take both end caps off is that a wise decision. I would hate to have a supposed safety feature not available. I assume that is what the end caps are for.

AllExtinct 07-15-2013 07:53 PM

I agree with Keith about the brackets.
After taking it off and on a few dozen times you'll have it down pat.
Not sure how easy the 2011's are,never have had the pleasure of seeing such a new engine. :D

jkpair 07-15-2013 09:34 PM

!Laugh! Here you go.

[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/heavenscloud71078/IMG_20130529_201459_zps571291b1.jpg[/IMG]

AllExtinct 07-16-2013 07:56 PM

Wow so nice and clean! I see subaru has not strayed away from the plastic top radiator's
That intercooler looks a bit easier to work with than the tank of a IC that we bugeyes have.
Thanks for sharing the pic man. !Thumbs Up

jkpair 08-12-2013 10:32 AM

Yeah I would love to replace the IC. If only I can convince my wife so. It just looks like at any moment it could start leaking. The brackets holding it together just look like they're ready to give. I have seen threads on getting the bulletproof TMIC kit. Not sure where I can get that though.

Brockton 08-12-2013 10:46 AM

These intercooler/ tb/ intake mani designs are terrible imo. It makes it really really hard to access the TB.

For future reference, get the hose on the IC first, then just get the bolts started on the turbo, then line up the support bracket and get that started, bolt down the turbo to the tmic, then tighten up the support bracket. if you dont do it just right its really hard to get the support lined up.

jkpair 08-12-2013 01:06 PM

Yeah, I was able to finagle it around to get it to all line up properly. Striped one of the bolts for the bracket, what I get for trying to make things fit. But now I'm stuck with the dang p0244 code, I took it to SoA and they swapped my stock BCS out and said that should do it. Low and behold just this past weekend I get the CEL again. As far as I know everything is stock under the hood, besides the COBB heatshield. The downpipe is stock for sure. I don't have an accessport yet so I can't check which tune is on it, if any. It's driving me crazy, I don't want to blow the engine from the overboost. :confused:

pjkatz04 08-22-2013 07:52 AM

[quote=jkpair;323050]I just experienced the known issue with my TMIC to TB hose rubber boots ripping apart.
I removed the boots and reconnected the hose without. The question I have is how do you get the TMIC to line up with the mounting bracket after you remove the rubber boots, and if that is a bad idea what aftermarket hose do you recommend?

By the way I am new to the forums, and the car. Love this car and only had it for a couple months.

Thanks ahead for any help that can be provided.[/quote]

OP: You have a 2011 and this started failing already? :notgood: I have a 2012 and I'm worried. Anyway, if I were you I'd bring it to the dealer for a warranty claim, and save the $1000 for PW TMIC.

jkpair 08-26-2013 02:21 PM

[quote=pjkatz04;344290]OP: You have a 2011 and this started failing already? :notgood: I have a 2012 and I'm worried. Anyway, if I were you I'd bring it to the dealer for a warranty claim, and save the $1000 for PW TMIC.[/quote]

So you'd go PW over Perrin for the TMIC? Is there a huge difference?

boo-key bear 08-26-2013 02:31 PM

Pw or gs...best tmic you can get imho. Gotta get splitter also.