TMIC or FMIC - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
No offense takin by me, I to enjoy a nice conversation. thats why I like this site people can express their opinions without being ridiculed or being called a dumb ass, unlike some other sites I wont mention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
I went front mount after hours and hours of tuning, mostly road, and I could see my performance, knock patterns, and even boost spool affected by a hot top mount. Since I have went front mount these have all stopped. I am running a Dom 1.5XT-R, which isn't the largest turbo in the world but it's substantial compared to stock. My point is just this, if you are going to buy one, why buy something that already has issues with being right over the motor/turbo? I had mine blanketed, and a full wrap on it as well. I had zero throttle response or spool characteristic change. So it's hard for me to see suggesting putting something on I saw issue with, not trying to argue, just speaking from experience.
-Carl

All this was done before I got rid of the VF52(it blew up, like previously stated). I have been on front mount ever since and wouldn't dream of going backwards. Like I said, if you are putting out the cash, it's hard to not suggest what I think works better.
What works for one car may not work for another. To many gray areas to do a real comparison. Keep in mind I'm running a build motor spinning 8700rpm and still running the stock airbox, stock plugs and the stock MAF housing. According to some on here I am doing things all wrong, but it worked for me.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#18 Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
well i have a BOV and can go blow through so nan nan nan a boo boo.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#19 Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
I used to until the oil residue coming even through my catch can threw my MAF readings off. No more BOV for me was way too much headache, pre-turbo MAF is so much easier to tune. Now that I have a ball bearing turbo and PCV to atmosphere it would probably be fine, but not going to mess with it ;p.
#20 Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
well i have a BOV and can go blow through so nan nan nan a boo boo.
Well pffft I mean pffft whateva...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#21 Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
I used to until the oil residue coming even through my catch can threw my MAF readings off. No more BOV for me was way too much headache, pre-turbo MAF is so much easier to tune. Now that I have a ball bearing turbo and PCV to atmosphere it would probably be fine, but not going to mess with it ;p.
my tuner tuned it just as fast as if it were draw through. you really need to find someone who knows it. i have no PCV and my crank and valves run to atmos so no problems except for every now and again i get a P0172 and the MAF needs shot with cleaner. on the 2011 my inlet is going to be 100% closed, no more EVAP system hose and running 3port hose to atmos like it says you can.

#22 Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
It's not hard to tune, it's hard to keep tuned because of all the crap that blows through your intake. With a closed system it would be identical setup to pull through, but it's just not worth it to me. I have my bpv set pretty loose for zero stutter and would rather not deal with a bov opening up under light vacuum.
#23 Old 08-06-2011, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I find it hard to believe that you lost no throttle responce going FMIC. The new WRXs have basically zero piping from the turbo to the TMICs. Mean while you have to pump that air through a couple additional feet of piping and its just as fast as coming straight off the turbo? Air can move fast....but, that just doesn't sound right to me.

Yeah, you might gain some top end on a FMIC vs a TMIC. But, most people don't run a turbo that requires a FMIC. I'm seriously considering a FMIC on my set-up though. Which would be a custom made set-up from my tuner. Which they use top end cores vs some of this off the shelf crap that you pay too much for. My tuner has been making custom EVO FMICs for some time now. So, i'm not worried he'll botch it up

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#24 Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

I lost throttle response going from a 2.0L to a 2.34L...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#25 Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Keith I am going to throttle you if you keep up the GM Bashing

Kirt
#26 Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hey I said I liked the GN and the Syclone....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#27 Old 08-06-2011, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

I saw it in another thread...I should've called you out in the right thread. But, that joke couldn't be passed on.

Kirt
#28 Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I certainly can't feel it. I am sure there is a difference, physics says there has to be some. But it's not noticeable. I read some forums saying difference in turbo spool is fairly large(this was several years ago), but can say from tuning literally 100's of runs on my car and several others that switched it's not substantial, in fact on my 2.5 boost curves are almost identical. I just can't see a reason to run top mount, if you are going to put in the effort and money on a "new" intercooler, it just doesn't make sense to me is all. It is much easier to just slap on another top mount, the piping, removing the bumper, and making room for the pipes can be a pain in the a**.
-Carl
#29 Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

^^^ bingo

maybe just maybe a td04 would show a difference in boost curve but the vf52 is big enough to perform like you said.

the only argument i can make against myself is that when i went FMIC the temps were a lot lower and my tuner was no longer afraid of breaking my plastic parts. because of that we increasd boost. so targeting 19psi instead of 17psi would make the FMIC spool as fast or faster than the stock TMIC. one could argue an aftermarket TMIC could of spooled even faster. but we'll never know and i dont care because it was a world of difference to me.

#30 Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

"le sigh". Guess I'm doing it wrong.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...