Subaru WRX Forum banner

theRIOTact's build thread!!

51K views 167 replies 21 participants last post by  Haw1es 
#1 ·
So I'm starting a build thread for myself, and I look forward to updating it often lol! I've been patiently waiting for my engines break in period to be done so I could get my fix, and I certainly got it today. Hope you all like so far as much as I do. Just waiting on my turbo heatshield which seems to have been lost in the mail. Happily sitting at 305HP/355TQ :D

Installed:
Forge Recic BPV
Perrin Shroud
Injen CAI
Invidia Catted DP
BrenTuned Stage2

Also replaced all interior and exterior lights with LED. And changed out the stock low/high/fogs with Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras. Having like 4 different colored lights throughout the car was just bothersome lol. Now the whole thing's uniform. Sorry my OCD gets the best of me sometimes lol! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Suspension
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line
Vehicle Automobile repair shop Car Subcompact car Hatchback
Text Line Font Diagram Pattern

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks great man. Awesome numbers!!!
You sure do have your head on straight going right into suspension, Than when it comes time for more power, Your ready!!!!. I look forward to seeing your build as its going to be close to my new build.

#5 ·
Absolutely Blaze, usually always do suspension first. After reading about all the cons of the 3g's though the stock tune map definitely seemed the first must do as its borderline dangerous! So if I'm spending good money for a tune I'm def not going stage 1 lol! So get the minimal to go stage 2 and get it done. Now to stiffening up the weak suspension :D

#6 ·
Just subscribed, your build thread is my wish list. I can't wait to get started on the engine. For now I'm concentrating on the exterior. Are u happy w the Philips halogen if so can u post pics. Also I have a few rookie questions, Is the aftermarket bpv for aesthetics or does it serve a purpose. And what are your plans for the suspension upgrade?

#8 ·
Deeds: I'm honestly not too happy with the Ultra Visions....Theyre ok. I read tons of forums and googled pics and they looked quite Hyper White. Mine def aren't what I've seen in pics. I was leary of only going with a 4100w bulb but the pics and reviews I read about the Sylvanias and Phillips bulbs made me think otherwise. The lows/highs/fogs all match now but they're not exactly as hyper white as an LED like in the license plate and interiors lights. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with a 6000k of sorts but I'm still reading up on it. And the stock BPV is problematic for the 3g's after stage 1 so that's why I got it. If you're going to stage 2+ I'd def recommend getting one. But if only doing say a stage 1 from an AP or something you should be fine. And thanks for the subscription. I'll post some pics of the lights ASAP.

#14 ·
Here's the Crystal Visions on mine. As you an see they're not like the above pics. And after looking at the pics they're quite deceiving. They look much whiter in both pics than they do in person. I'm thinking the Diamond Visions @ 5000w over the Crystal Visions @ 4100w is the way to go for me. Anyone wanna buy these?? Got lows/highs/fogs all up for sale if you like the whiteness. I want a very slight blue tint though like an LED bulb so these just aren't for me.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive lighting
Light Lighting Wall Sky Night

Attachments

#15 ·
I see what you mean by the lack of blue but I kinda like the look and they r def better than the stock. i had blues on a previous car and they looked cheesy and weren't very bright. Its a fine line. The PIAA bulbs seem nice but as u know it's hard to tell from what's online.

#16 ·
If you want to go hid. Which Imho is deff the way to go. You don't need to do a projector retrofit really. Unless you really want to I guess. But www.ddmtuning.com has really quality products at a very good price. You could get the 8000k 35w and those will have a slight blue tint. 6000k is straight white. Also they have lifetime warranties I believe on their products which is really nice to have. Just my $.02

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#17 ·
Yeah I'll prob go HID at some point...idk. Everyone says the light projection inside the halogen housings using HID can cause problems though. The beam isn't directed correctly out of the halogen housing and ends up everywhere but in front if you. And I've heard of housing damage as well...an that's all I need lol. It's basically like doing the H9 bulb swap. Tons of people do it with no problems, yet some do have BIG problems from doing it. The Phillips Diamond Visions are looking pretty nice though! I'm ordering them on Friday. If those don't work I'll be holding off till I can go full HID.

#18 ·
Got my Philips Diamond Vision bulbs in the mail today. All I have to say is I'm highly pleased with how much they look like an HID inside my housings. You can't notice it in the pics really but the blue hue is there where as with the Crystal Visions it was still yellowish at some angles.
But you can see how much whiter the passenger side is than the drivers side. I tried multiple pics to capture the "blueness" of the bulbs but my awesome iPhone isn't capable of such easy tasks lol! I'll get some better ones ASAP for everyone. But if you're looking for an HID looking bulb this is it!
Headlamp Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Light

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Car

#19 ·
Also got my turbo blanket in the mail yesterday...finally! I had to upgrade the fastening to some rivets though, cause bent finishing nails holding something together just didn't seem right lol! It was too dark after the bulbs to install it today but I'll snap some pics once installed.
Bag Handbag Turquoise Leather Fashion accessory

#23 ·
Somewhere on here is a build thread of mine....Funny I did a search for WRXtuners on my phone and your name came up in the search??? Anyway car looks nice other than I'm not a big fan of HID...I know, I know, but it's just me....

#26 ·
Here's a link to where I bought mine. He's the only vendor I've found with them. Their 100% perfect fit too and come in many colors! Def a good price as well. I didn't get done with them till like 11:30pm last night so that's why I didn't take a pic, but I'll be sure to post one in here soon as I get home from work today. And yeah they're only held on with double sided tape so it's an easy removal/install as well.

http://www.cruxmotorsports.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_60_65&product_id=109

IMO it's a mod worth spending the time on. I hated mine from the get go, ESP on the SWP. The silver looks good on something like yours in the WRB but def not SWP. I've just been searching everywhere for ideas then finally came across this one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#25 ·
Yeah, that's prob cause I have an unhealthy addiction to the forum lol! This is much better than FB to waste my time on.

But thanks Keith, I appreciate the comps! And I would've been fine with the headlights I just couldn't stand how the fogs didn't match the lows. My OCD just can't allow that type of non-uniformity FOL!

#27 ·
Oh, and just an FYI man the CF wrap is not part of his sale. That link is for the inlays only. I decided to add the CF as a better option than bombing or dip. Found an 8"x4" piece on eBay for like $2 though. Just didn't want you to think its all one piece or something.

But I laid the CF down, used a heat gun to push the WRX logo in, then cut out the logo with a blade to give things a cleaner look. I first laid the overly ontop of the CF wrap but didn't like it. It didn't sit inside the engraving well and looked sloppy IMO. So I took the inlay off, carefully cut out the CF, and dropped the inlay back in. Looks MUCH better that way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.