TD06 20g Help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
TD06 20g Help

I recently installed a td06 20g on an E85 tuned 2009 wrx (I have tuned it since it was new). The old vf52 was running 20ishlbs till about 4800 which it took a sharp downturn, it just couldn't keep up. So I purchased a td06 and with an adjustable wastegate arm, it is noticeably slower spooling (to be expected). My problem is, I cannot get it to boost higher than 16lbs max at around 4500, this seems absurd to me for such a bigger turbo. I have shut the wastegate down to 0% cycle (100% dc), all the way through and it just doesn't seem to change the boost. I have checked all the obvious, boost leaks, boost controller problem, it works fine, tested with power source and vacuum. Turbo "sounds" healthy and spun freely when I installed it. Any suggestions? I can't imagine a really soft wastegate spring doing this but I have tightened it down a bit, I can still move it by hand pretty easily. Hopeing someone with some serious turbo experience has any suggestions. Bad Turbo?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Big questions on my radar are: Did you only change the turbo? Did you put a TBE on? Did you put a fuel pump or injectors on? Why are you adjusting the wastegate arm with a protune on the car? You are taking the car outside of the tune when you keep playing with it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Please Note

This is almost a full stage 4 car. It has tbe, and if you note, I have been "tuning" this car since it had 8 miles on it, both wide band/ and road dynoing it along the way. This car was pushing 326 awhp on the vf52 at 4600 feet. Yes it has 1000cc inj./fmic/big turbo inlet/complete check of boost leaks/255lph pump/big intake/E85/TGV delete. I don't want to come off as brash, but it seems sometimes in these forums people just start assuming the worst without even considering the content of the post. I appreciate the post, but I think it was fairly clear I wouldn't have just slapped a TD06 in the car. I am looking for someone with TD06 20g experience. I have pushed the wg actuator spring to about 15lbs and it peaks at 20lbs at 4400, vf52 would easily run 21lbs at 4000 but then quickly taper off. The TD06 holds 20 till about 5k and then very quickly tapers to about 15.5. "I" am the pro-tuner, I am looking for someone with experience with a td06. From the flow it should easily push more air, I have had problems with it already and really want to know if I am expecting too much at 4700 feet or if it seems reasonable to send this turbo back for a re balance.
-Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Big questions on my radar are: Did you only change the turbo? Did you put a TBE on? Did you put a fuel pump or injectors on? Why are you adjusting the wastegate arm with a protune on the car? You are taking the car outside of the tune when you keep playing with it.

Last edited by cwinterbower; 06-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Come off like THAT and won't see any help at all.

GL

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
What does one expect when he clearly states "I have been tuning it", and someone says "you are taking the car out of the tune when you keep playing with it. People come to these forums for discussion not to feel like they are being chastised by someone who is probably not in a position to chastise. I see this all the time, I am not trying to be rude, but try offering suggestions rather than assuming that because you come to these forums asking for advice that you know nothing. On another note, this is a new user account as I completely forgot my old one maybe the "1" post makes people feel like they can assume you are "playing" with it. Everyone "plays" with their car that's why we buy them, I just think it's rude to come off as critical versus actually try to help. How does asking me if I have put a new fuel pump in and if I have a tbe help when the original post clearly states 'E85' and 20lbs of boost on the vf52, the stock 550's would not do that without burning your car up. I made an effort to state what I had done with the car in hopes of avoiding the "YOU DID THIS" kind of replies. But if because I replied to someone that I felt was being rude, came off as rude, then I apologize. I just don't think it's constructive to use sentences like "why do you keep playing with it".
-Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Come off like THAT and won't see any help at all.

GL
post #6 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
To get away from the arguing. If anyone has any input on a td06 20g pushing more boost at some elevation please let me know. Looking for around 18lbs at 4700 elevation at 5k+rpm.
Thanks
-Carl
post #7 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Everyone cut the attitude, it doesn't help anything. If you don't have anything helpful to post, don't bother posting. Consider this a warning.

Carl, your question is tied with the tuning of your specific car. You really need somebody intimately familiar with them to look over your map. Usually timing needs to be changed. If that causes knock, you're tapping out. Is the turbo new?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #8 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yeah, its a new turbo. I had to send it back once because the intake turbine was touching the cold side housing. It is spinning freely now, but I just can't get much boost out of it. The wg actuator spring that ships with it is very weak, probably 6lbs. I have added a helper spring, and adjusted it down just a bit, I still want it opening well. It sits at about 15lbs. I am not knocking anywhere and have adjusted timing a bit, as well as afr. It just doesn't seem like it's flowing like it should. Hot side is much larger than the vf52. I have messed with avcs and afr trims low to get it to full spool around 3800 (20lbs), but it just doesn't hold like I expected the td06 to. So I am asking for opinions related to the turbo itself. I know the vf52 was huffing to make 13lbs by 6.5k and the td06 is running 100% wgdc at 6.5k and I am seeing about 15. So really anyone with a td06 20g giving me some input related to how hard this turbo has to work (wgdc) on a 2.5 to hold 18ish up high 5k+ rpms.
Thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
It almost sounds like your waste gate isn't listening to your ECU, doesn't it? You might be right about the spring not being strong enough. I've never heard of using a helper spring so that worries me although I see how it could work. I didn't even know they made 20G's for the turbo layout in the 08+ WRX so I can't offer you much specifics for your application. You really aught to call up a tuner.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #10 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I considered that and did 2 things, tested the boost controller with a 12v circuit, its a 3 port, (it works fine), and unplugged it from the ecu to make sure the car detects it ok. It threw an ecl so I "think" I ruled that out, though thanks for the input. And yeah the td06 takes some re routing to make it fit in the 09.
Thanks again for the input, I appreciate the dialogue, sometimes I figure it out just by the back and forth. I "think" I have ruled everything out with exception that the td06 is doing all it can at 15.5lbs at 4700 feet, "or" I have a bum turbo, maybe a wheel out of balance.
-Carl
post #11 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
GL with it. I misread the original post some, but sometimes if your profile isn't filled out or don't state all the mods done to the car. Then asking what I asked; is just for clarification on what exact mods are on the car. I wasn't trying to be a d!ck or saying you are inept. Just clarifying. Who made the turbo? I'd consider asking a turbo builder. Possibly Mike Blouch from www.BlouchTurbo.com He might have a little more insight because he builds turbos for a living or going with mosc's suggestion and maybe chatting up a local tuner. They might be able to help you rule out some things.

Kirt
post #12 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Alrighty, good to know. I may hit him up, though I am not sure how much help he will want to offer as it's not a blouch. But thanks for the heads up.
-Carl
post #13 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

They work on more than just their own "brand" of turbos and will rebuild competitors turbos. Mike is a good guy. Hopefully, he can have some insight without wanting to see the turbo.

Kirt
post #14 of 14 Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
What type of turbo are you running? Sounds to me like your wastegate cycles are not being met correctly. What type of Boost Control are you using?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement