TD06 20g? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mitchkeller87 is an unknown
TD06 20g?

Just wondering if this will fit on my 08 wrx as a direct replacement? Also I dont think the intercooler to the turbo is a direct flange bolt on so how would I bolt the intercooler on? Any more info on the turbo would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 02:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Performance Race Engineering - PREracing.com

now if you search and read up on what you want you can find what your after..
this is just the first thing that google threw at me for your car so your gonna want to do a little more digging.
also, make sure you have the correct everything else to handle this aka.( supporting mods )plus tune for it via Protune....

good luck and do some major homework, your gonna need to

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #3 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkeller87 View Post
Just wondering if this will fit on my 08 wrx as a direct replacement? Also I dont think the intercooler to the turbo is a direct flange bolt on so how would I bolt the intercooler on? Any more info on the turbo would be great. Thanks
1) No, its not the same turbo layout as your car.
2) Why are you looking at a 20G? Are you planning on upgrading or just want to a new turbo to replace a broken one?
3) You will need some add ons to make the turbo you choose to run vs your stock set-up. At the very least you should get a Process West TMIC or FMIC, TBE, and a fuel pump. But, I'd say injectors and a 3 port bcs would be added onto that list as my bare min. Might as well get the most out of the turbo if you are going to put it on.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #4 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
exactly....point proven...research! research!! research!!!!

Just ### a 20G is a nice big turbo doesn't exactly mean that its the right fit for you either, its a sweet upgrade dont get me wrong but you would maybe benefit from many other turbo options(or maybe not even a turbo swap at all). It just really depends what your trying to do in the long run i suppose.

If you just jump into something you may be doing more bad than good.
if I had to guess, I would say your probably not quite ready yet anyway...no disrespect, but thats an upgrade you should graduate too. . . .But like I stated earlier keep doing homework...GL

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #5 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
It'll work, it just requires some modification to the set-up to run it. You can't just slap it on and walk away. Biggest reason is this.

See how different the layout is? The 2008 WRX and up layout is on the left and the 2002-2007 WRX/2004 and up STI layout is on the right.
Like, I said. You can use the 20G turbo. It just requires some extra work and changes.

Kirt

Last edited by turmic; 04-17-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: can't spell, yet again...
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I already got a turbo back exhaust, I am planning on buying a front mount to go along with the turbo. After I install them I am gonna get a bigger fuel pump and injectors which should do the trick.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

suspension mods? do you have a tuner? you will NEED a protune. Please dont just jump into this man or your gonna blow up one nice car

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2011, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
It'll work, it just requires some modification to the set-up to run it. You can just slap it on and walk away. Biggest reason is this.

See how different the layout is? The 2008 WRX and up layout is on the left and the 2002-2007 WRX/2004 and up STI layout is on the right.
Like, I said. You can use the 20G turbo. It just requires some extra work and changes.
it wont be done quick either, parts have to match correctly of you will have some major issues.
we are not trying to be A$$holes, just trying to help you to understand.
And please update your mods list so we can be of better help maybe...thanx

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #9 of 12 Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
At least if you get an FMIC you can run any turbo layout you want so yes the 20g will fit.

Just know if you push the 20g you will be at the limits of the stock block and you could pop it, and most likely will after some time.

As long as you're aware of the risks go for it.

Just to clear things up and since your mod list isn't filled out here's what you need:

Must Haves:
Fuel Pump (walbro 255 or deatschwerks 300)
Injectors (min 750's for pump, min 1000's for E85)
Turbo
FMIC or larger aftermarket TMIC
Aftermarket Intake that works with whatever FMIC you get (consider KSTech 73mm big MAF, you'll probably max a stock diameter MAF quickly)
TBE (you already have)
Pro-tune for this setup

Optional:
EWG Setup (since the turbo is out it's an easier job)
3-port EBCS such as GrimmSpeed (Not 100% necessary but I would do it)
Turbo Inlet (may want to while the turbo is out)
PnP stock exhaust mani OR aftermarket headers
Another Tune for all the above if done at a different time

Oh and expect to replace your clutch within a year.

-Chris
post #10 of 12 Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
I already got a turbo back exhaust, I am planning on buying a front mount to go along with the turbo. After I install them I am gonna get a bigger fuel pump and injectors which should do the trick.
That is a bare minimum right there.

A 3 port bcs, intake, turbo inlet, EWG, and whatever headers or PnP exhaust manifold option you choose would be all optional. But, a lot of those are highly recommended upgrades. You probably would be pushing the stock engine to its limits and the stock clutch will probably die out after some hard thrashings.

You can do your project at whatever pace you want. But, it will require a protune and some people save up all the parts they want installed in batches. That way they are not running back to get a protune each time they put on one part. Good Luck with the upgrades.

Kirt
post #11 of 12 Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
You're gonna need a lot more than that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
That is a bare minimum right there.

A 3 port bcs, intake, turbo inlet, EWG, and whatever headers or PnP exhaust manifold option you choose would be all optional. But, a lot of those are highly recommended upgrades. You probably would be pushing the stock engine to its limits and the stock clutch will probably die out after some hard thrashings.
Brakes, suspension, engine mounts, definitely clutch, good tires (not all seasons).
post #12 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I already got the parts that are required but I am looking at a set of headers. I know I need the tune but the best shop around is 8 hrs away in minneapolis sio i will have to take the car to them to get work on it done.