I guess to start this thread I will list all information from the beginning:

08' WRX Premium starting with:
Stock internals
Stock turbo
Stock intercooler
Stock tranny
Stock suspension
Stock ECU (no mapping)
Stock Rims (currently painted black, Powder coating within next few weeks: $70 per wheel with a 5-7 day turn around)
Invidia CBE
205/50R17 Eagle GT tires

Upgrades to date:
HKS Turbo Timer (Installed 1/9/11) ($104)
Cobb AP (Stage 1 installed 1/26/11) ($640)
HKS BOV (Installed 1/13/11) ($281)
HKS catless DP (Pending install this weekend) ($480)
Torqued Performance Stage 2 map (Pending install this weekend) ($69)
HKS Up-pipe (Pending install) ($165)

Issues:
Body issues are my main concern at this point. I have another thread in the Non-Tech area covering those issues. I got an estimate yesterday:
Hail damage repair: $1650 (mainly on the roof)
Full paint repair: $2500-$3000 (probably about $500 less with CF hood and trunk)
CF hood/trunk: $1250 (shipped)
Body parts: $359 (includes new front bumper and rear bumper side skirting)

Upgrades to come:
HKS Unequal Headers
VF52 or 20G turbo
New FMIC or TMIC (still having issues on deciding)
Coilovers
Chassis bracing
Sway bars
Endlinks
HKS SRI
750cc or 850cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Mishimoto Radiator and hose kit
Tires (probably stick with 205/50R17 just undecided on brand)
Custom Tune (looking for a Protuner with a decent distance from my location)

There are, I am sure, a few things I haven't listed that I have on my mind. But here is what I have for starters.

I will post pics of the project once I get a chance.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD

Last edited by Subbie; 01-28-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added some info (in red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Concerning your turbo and IC setup, what are you looking to get out of the car? I run a TD06-20G from Blouch Turbos and a TurboXS TMIC, and I LOVE the combination. Lag is still very minimal, great power and I have some room to grow if I add an EWG and maybe some PnP'd parts from Grimmspeed (and now I will have a built tranny also). I ask and say that cause the VF52 might hold you over for now, but you might also want more, and a 20G is a great comprimise for just about anything. Good looking list tho, and I look forward to seeing more progress from the car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Concerning your turbo and IC setup, what are you looking to get out of the car? I run a TD06-20G from Blouch Turbos and a TurboXS TMIC, and I LOVE the combination. Lag is still very minimal, great power and I have some room to grow if I add an EWG and maybe some PnP'd parts from Grimmspeed (and now I will have a built tranny also). I ask and say that cause the VF52 might hold you over for now, but you might also want more, and a 20G is a great comprimise for just about anything. Good looking list tho, and I look forward to seeing more progress from the car.
I am pushing towards the TD06-20G just for the simple fact that I can pull more power from the engine while keeping stock internals and tranny. Hopefully coupled with 850cc injectors I can put down safely around 350-370awhp.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#4 Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im running DW 850cc injectors, at 20PSI on a mustang dyno that was in the Tacoma Washington area, around 80 degrees the day we did it, around the 8th or 9th run we pulled the 326/319 numbers. The following run we hit 330/330 but dont have a graph to prove that one. And my tuner said I had room to grow, but didnt want to stress out my transmission any. So you might not get all the way to 350, but its also possible wiht the right parts, a good day and a good tune. You wont be disappointed if you go with the 20G IMHO.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Also, if you want to keep the stock LGT layout TMIC, the new blouch 480-xt is essentially the new 20g-xt for the 08+ wrx TMIC. It's 1 lb/min larger too so a bit more power potential than the new 20g-xt.

Now if you want to get the process west tmic you can get the adapter pipe that will allow any stock location turbo to be run. Same goes for an FMIC.

Paint that CF, but that's just me. I hate bare cf on cars.

If you were closer to Plano I'd say go to cobb for the tune but it looks like you're way out in BFE, Texas compared to most of the big cities.

-Chris

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 01-28-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: edited 10 #/min to 1
#6 Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Im running DW 850cc injectors, at 20PSI on a mustang dyno that was in the Tacoma Washington area, around 80 degrees the day we did it, around the 8th or 9th run we pulled the 326/319 numbers. The following run we hit 330/330 but dont have a graph to prove that one. And my tuner said I had room to grow, but didnt want to stress out my transmission any. So you might not get all the way to 350, but its also possible wiht the right parts, a good day and a good tune. You wont be disappointed if you go with the 20G IMHO.

As for now I definitely want to be in the 350awhp range. That is the main factor driving me more towards that set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Also, if you want to keep the stock LGT layout TMIC, the new blouch 480-xt is essentially the new 20g-xt for the 08+ wrx TMIC. It's 10lbs/min larger too so a bit more power potential than the new 20g-xt.

Now if you want to get the process west tmic you can get the adapter pipe that will allow any stock location turbo to be run. Same goes for an FMIC.

If you were closer to Plano I'd say go to cobb for the tune but it looks like you're way out in BFE, Texas compared to most of the big cities.

Chris,

I was talking to the guy that will be doing my body work and mentioned to him that I would possibly go with painting the hood and trunk even if I go CF.

I actually only live about a 5 hour drive from there, so that would be plausible. Plus a little trip to "the city" would be nice.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#7 Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Josh is also on a conservative tune. Looks nice so far. You could always take a cruise to Plano or Austin for a tune at COBB

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Josh is also on a conservative tune. Looks nice so far. You could always take a cruise to Plano or Austin for a tune at COBB
Most likely I will take it there for the tune.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#9 Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Daily Update: 1/28/11

I got the AP Tuner program installed this morning on the computer. (Got up about 4:30 this morning just to download it. Also this is free.)

Then I downloaded the TP Stage 2 map. ($69)

Hopefully no call outs this weekend (for work) because I will get the DP installed and re-map the ECU with the Stage 2 map. I am going to try and wash her up and get some pics of the car and then the install.

I was half tempted to buy and download the Stage 1 map from TP just to see the difference but I don't see wasting another $69 for a one or two day drive. (But I was very tempted)

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD

Last edited by Subbie; 01-28-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: forgot a word (in red)
#10 Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Also, if you want to keep the stock LGT layout TMIC, the new blouch 480-xt is essentially the new 20g-xt for the 08+ wrx TMIC. It's 10lbs/min larger too so a bit more power potential than the new 20g-xt.

Should I get the 8cm Turbine Housing or the 10cm?

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD

Last edited by Subbie; 01-28-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added the quote
#11 Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
10. Minescule lag for more top end.

-Chris
#12 Old 01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Update: 1/29/11

Got to the HKS DP installed today. Went pretty well, only took all in all about an hour.

Got a few pics of the stock unit and also that big bellmouth on the HKS.
Attached Images

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#13 Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Cont. Update 1/29/11

I installed the TP Stage 2 map. And off we went.

TP Stage 2 thoughts:

According to the map info from the website -
Boost taget is 18PSI (I couldn't get more then 14.8PSI)
AFR taget was 10.8-10.5:1 (I couldn't get any better the 11.0:1)

Also, I was having a hard time at hitting 6600 RPMs.
Also running the Dynameter on the AP:
262HP @ 6321 RPM
281TQ @ 6321 RPM

So we stopped and I decided I was going to remap the ECU with Cobb's Stage 2 map.

What a difference.

I was no longer cutting out in the higher RPMs. I was boosting at 14.9PSI (which they say 15PSI target)

The ride all together felt smoother throughout the entire power band. Plus the TP Stage 2 map seemed to have the car running way more rich.

Going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow hopefully and may reduce the gap just a little. Re-install the TP Stage 2 map and see if the makes a difference.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the TP Stage 2 map. (but I will try again tomorrow if possible)

As far as the dynameter on the Cobb read with the Cobb map:
(Keep in mind that we hit a pretty nice bump at about 5000 RPM.)

Set up on AP was:

3198 lbs
3rd gear
2000 RPM start
6900 RPM finish

Check out those numbers - LOL I had to take a pic!
Attached Images

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#14 Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Cont. Update 1/29/11

Here is a little video

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#15 Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
LOL @ the numbers!

Dude, I want that map!!! jk.

I really like the accessport, it's super user friendly and works well, don't let that scare you off. Congrats, I can tell you're super excited getting into this. But it gets worse, I daresay I see a built block in your future

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon