Subaru WRX Forum banner

Subaru Legacy GT 440XT Turbocharger versus Subaru WRX/STi 20G-XT Turbocharger

7K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I am about ready to upgrade my turbo with a TMIC. My power goals are between 450 and 500. Does not have be 450 or 500, just somewhere in between there. I am on the edge with buying one of these, but cannot commit. Does anybody have dyno numbers from these turbos? Any input/opinions/etc on these would be nice!

#4 ·
A. Neither will do it assuming you mean whp and not crank. If you meant crank, go with the Legacy turbo because it will actually fit.

B. Those 2 turbos are not the same fitment

C. You need far more than you think you do for 450-500 whp. Built motor, built transmission, and a crap load of everything in between. Additionally, nothing about this will make for anything resembling reliability. A WRX making that much would not make a suitable DD. Hopefully you have another car. And a vast budget.

How much are looking to spend said and done? Plan on $30-35k in parts and labor for your goals. You will need to have further funds stashed for when stuff breaks, because it will.

#5 ·
I appreciate the honesty. This is my DD. I drive it probably 4 miles a day. Bus stop is two miles away and takes me to downtown Denver. This will eventually become my project car in around two years. After two years I will have a new DD and keep this.

I have been stashing up for new gears and a built motor for awhile. It does worry me a lot about my tranny. I do not launch my car or abuse the crap out of it for that reason. I would feel MUCH better if I had a built motor and tranny IMO.

I was asking for advice on turbos because I want a solid plan to reach my goals and not buy a turbo and find out it puts out crap power. Thanks for the help!

On a side note how much does a rebuilt motor cost?

#9 ·
brfatal, I called Mac Autosport. They have been working on my car since I bought it and they quoted me around 6500-7000k for a total motor build. Spot on sir.

psinuse, yes I have driven a car with 450hp. I do understand how quickly these cars can turn into animals. That is why I wait around six months before I add on more crap so I can get used to the power. I def. do not want 500 plus. That is just asking for trouble....

When it comes to cars I am a noob when it comes to turbos. Have no clue which one produces efficient power or less lag yada yada. Just need pointed in the right direction before I pull the trigger on anything. Thanks for all of your help though.

#10 ·
Then your looking at a GT35 turbo to get in that power range. I would recommend going with a little bit lower compression than a standard 2.5L has to give you a bit of wiggle room. Tuning will be of utmost importance to keep that car running as it should. Pretty much any thing factory will need to be upgraded.

#12 ·
You have no idea...and I am sure a few others would agree. Granted I don't have as much money in my car as some do, I built my own motor, tune it myself and do most of my own labor, but I can say that even with that I have well over $15k in my car just in parts. I figure around $5k just in the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.