Subaru WRX Forum banner

Strange Acceleration

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  synolimit 
#1 ·
Hi Guys...

I have a strange thing happening
When I hit the gas hard the car, what it seems like, is going in 2 stages.
Smooth acceleration till around 5k rpm then it almost feels like a very fast
loose of power then the car pulls again.
I mean its in .5sec but i can feel that double punch.
Anyone knows that that could be?
2012 wrx 1120 miles on it with Perrin intake

Paul W.

#9 ·
why do people never read?

take the intake off before you blow the motor, and get a tune ASAP with or without mods.

the OEM tune is junk and knocks like crazy. the pulls you're feeling is a knock event and the motor pulling 2-4* of timing and then giving it back to you. that more then enough to blow a piston ringland.

#11 ·
OKi..
I took the intake out and OMG, car run soooo much better
much better response and pulls.
Yes, i know ppl are saying don't do it with out the tune
but like most ppl we just do and take it off lol
I guess we hope we wont have to do the tune and get luckey
but not in my case
TYVM guys
I did leave the GFB BpV/BoV on

I will call the dealer and see if they would void the warranty
if I tune it and if it will, then I guess I'll wait
3yr or 36k miles

#13 ·
i never understood why people say that. whats it matter if it blows at 3k or 36k? you still have to pay for it if you blew it up. why waste your time for 3 years and 36k to drive a pig around?

and as for saying "i guess we hope we wont have to do the tune and get lucky" is crazy talk! if you arent logging your car you have NO idea if you do or dont need a tune for something. so hoping and praying is only going to damage the motor if you havent done so already.

ive said this a million times so one more shouldnt hurt. the OEM tune is garbage and knocks like crazy. anything over 1.8 load especially in the upper RPMs is death to a motor territory. now im not talking about the motor blowing up and killing you but its enough to crack a piston ringland. once a ringland has cracked you lose all power to that cylinder. sometimes 1 down cylinder cant be felt by your normal everyday Joe. most time the ECU doesnt even know there is a problem. you can crack a ringland for exactly what you have done or you can "micro crack' it. if you pulled the piston and magna fluxed it you'll see the micro crack. however no ones gonna do this. once you start tuning and adding more parts and power the crack will grow and blow the motor. this is why you guys gotta read before you start "hoping" everything will be ok. get off the OEM tune and get a stage 1 tune from someone; sooner the better.

#14 ·
damn.... I got schooled :p

Thanx for the explanation

As for the dealer, I didnt get a chance to call today but I bet they'll be like hellz no
but you never know. The dealer my do the tuning.
I'll keep as posted

Why would the sell a car with such a bad tune then? I don't get it. Why they setting them self up for
repairs?

#15 ·
Good question! I have no idea why the hell they would put such a crap tune on a great platform like the wrx. But alas...its there so all we can do is fix it. Good news is I think with a stage 1 tune you will be happier with the overall feel of the car. You will feel a lot smoother acceleration. And a slight bump in power. I vote start at stage one and let the mod bug dig in :p

#17 ·
its for emissions. running a car at 14.5 AFR to 4000rpm doesnt pollute like a car that runs 11.0 from 2k to redline. they believe in the knock sensor doing its job to pull timing when it does knock and i think they believe most people just buy the car to have, not to boost around town daily. whatever the reason they have to abide by govt rules.

#22 ·
its been awhile since i read up on it but last i saw they say e85 pollutes more than gas in ozone or greenhouse gas. however i have no idea who to believe because it could of been from a gas producers ripping on e85 to sell more. can never trust anyone when it comes to these things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.