Subaru WRX Forum banner

Start from scratch?

4K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  craigfralick 
#1 ·
I've noticed that a guy could buy a 5 speed manual Impreza for really cheap...could you reasonably start a build from there?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
I was thinking 10,000 for the car and 5 thousand for mods at firdt, then maybe just something I can keep building on over time. My main concerns are how much does it cost to add a turbo (and evrything that you need with it). Will the transmission hold well, and my goal is a daily driver that is awesome to drive and over 300 horsepower...and that's still kimd of open ended.

#4 ·
Over 300 whp on the wrx trans is right on the edge of its limitations depending on how agressive you drive it. Wont hold up for sure with hard launches, hard shifts, and driving like a ass in general. The cost of a turbo and supporting mods depends on if your buying new or used (big difference there). You may be able to get around 300whp on a vf series turbo which can be had for 300-500 used or close to a grand or better brand new. Supporting mods needed would be downpipe (100-350), catback (200-500), injectors (?), intercooler (300-800), tuning platform (not sure how much for a open source cable and laptop or 595 I think for a accessport. Most tuner shops will have a cable to flash open source with), and a tune (250-500). At the least a good boost gauge would be good to have as well. You also need to factor in maintenance cost if the car is due. You dont want to go modifying and pushing a car that has been neglected of regular maintenance. You will probably want your suspension and brakes up to par with the added power as well. All these prices are just off the top of my head estimates from low to high end of the spectrum. Someone els can chime in if I have forgot something or am misinforming you. Fast, cheap, reliable....pick only two.

#5 ·
If you're going to coax that much power out of the engine, then you will be disappointed with how the stock suspension handles it. $3k-$5k for suspension upgrades is not unreasonable if you include tires, spring/strut or coilover assemblies, sway bars, endlinks, bushings, and other reinforcement pieces.

an aluminum radiator should not be overlooked either

#16 ·
I can speak from experience that the WRX trans isn't going to blow apart at 300whp or 300wtq, no it will pretty much give out right about the time you really don't want it to regardless of how much power your making. I know I have run well over that numerous times at the track and mine held quite nicely...

#21 ·
Okay so I drove a WRX the other day at my local Subaru dealership and when I was at high rpms there was a noice that sounded like a vibrating almost light grinding in both 2nd and 3rd...this one is all stock bought, serviced and sold there its2 whole life and as far as I can tell it's never been modded. It's a 2006 with 87,000 miles for 14,995 which seems like a high price imo

#17 ·
I was also looking at an 03 wrx with an 04 STi drive train swap...or a high mileage one owner 04 STi all stock just has a little over 200k miles...OR I might just have to hold off another year till I can incrrase my budget but I'm starting to feel like if I don't do this now I never will. Anyway the one with the drive train swap does seem pretty legit but he is 2 states away from me, heres the posting

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/3883643690.html

I've been texting the guy a bit and he sent me a link to a dyno video and has the paper results from it...380 whp and 351 wtq...so if I could get this for 12,000 do yall think it would be worth it (would also leave me with about a 3,000 dollar oh shit budget) lol he even added me on Facebook

#19 ·
#24 ·
You'd be buying another person's problems. Highly modded cars are a big nono in my book. Don't listen to me though I know absolutely nothing about these cars...I just get on here and let words flow from the keyboard to the screen...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.