Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   stage 2 reliablity (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/stage-2-reliablity-33732/)

thekamikaze kid 03-15-2013 08:20 PM

stage 2 reliablity

just wondering who have modded their cars to stage 2 and have not had any problems. going to put a up and down pipe, 3 port bcs, and perrin sri with custom tune. is putting all that stuff on my car gonna affect the longevity of my car?

man show 03-15-2013 09:57 PM

That's a tricky one to answer.

Generally, yes, modifying parts that make your car more powerful than stock will negatively affect how long it lasts.

In the scheme of things, the parts you mentioned aren't serious additions, so as long as the tune is not super aggressive, longevity shouldn't be significantly decreased.

For what it's worth, I used Cobb's Stage 2, 93 octane off the shelf map from 2/16/08 (11,200 miles) until 12/16/11 (86,200 miles) with a Cobb catted downpipe and HKS cat back. Then I installed a TXS TMIC, GS 3 port ebcs, GS modified stock headers, Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, and some other goodies and got a protune - that lasted almost 8,000 miles at which point I upgraded to a 20G turbo with the remaining necessary supporting goodies and got another tune. My engine died shortly after that (cracked piston, lost compression, blowing all kinds of smoke out of the exhaust, significant power loss, rough idle, etc.). But now I have a rebult motor with forged internals and some other goodies, so I expect my car will last several tens of thousands more miles :)

So... in conclusion, I don't know if I answered your question at all.

The end.

thekamikaze kid 03-15-2013 10:49 PM

Lol, how did u treat it with all that stuff?v did u race it or what? I want a car hat will pull hard but I plan to babie it. I got 120,000 miles on it but I'm on the fence at putting on all that stuff.

man show 03-16-2013 06:55 AM

It was (and still is) my daily driver, so I drove it normally for the most part... although I have also been known to stretch its legs once in a while ;)

sleepr 03-16-2013 08:14 AM

I am running a stage 2 setup similar to your description (minus the aftermarket intake but add a Big16g turbo and the necessary fuel delivery upgrades) since around 75k-80k miles on the odometer. I specifically asked my tuner to give me a conservative tune. I am a bit over 120k now and have not had any problems.

I would describe my driving as man show did. Checking the oil on a very frequent basis is a good habit to get into if you are looking for piece of mind IMHO.

mosc 03-18-2013 08:38 AM

Factory tunes suck and restrictive exhaust does not help engine durability. You can remove some restrictions and retune your car with a quality tune and improve performance, reliability, and fuel efficiency. Now, if you use your newfound power to hotrod around those are extraneous factors outside of the argument.

A stage 2 exhaust and tune is good for your car. If you drive hard that's not good for your car but of course you didn't buy a prius so some of that's expected. You can drive your car harder with stage 2, which can compromise durability but nothing's forcing you to put your right foot down.

rockfordwrx 07-16-2013 11:38 PM

How much did it cost to Forge the internals because I'm reaching the point were that might be necessary

psinuse 07-17-2013 05:12 AM

[quote=rockfordwrx;324066]How much did it cost to Forge the internals because I'm reaching the point were that might be necessary[/quote]

How do you know this? You'd be amazed at what the factory parts can handle. If you decided you need a built motor buy one from a reliable engine builder, unless you have the experience and tools to do the job right yourself...