Stage 2 Cobb, questions about up stairs power. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Derrick is an unknown
Stage 2 Cobb, questions about up stairs power.

Hello everyone I got a 2011 WRX limited I love it runs great and here is list of mods. Cobb access port, invidia down married cattless downpipe, Cobb intake and air box, short shifter with bushings. All i have done is downloaded the stage 1 then the stage 2 from cobb website when time was right on the parts list. This car hauls the mail in 1st 2nd but third and 4th it just doesn't seem to have the lungs and I am wondering if this is normal maybe because its 4 cylinder etc?? If this is the case I am cool with it but if say a pro tune will wake the up stairs up quite a bit then I will look at this in the future! FYI I have drove very fast cars use to race SSO in NMRA and Fun Ford and have been as quick at 7.10 at 215mph in 1/4 mile but have never drove anything but v-8 cars. This WRX runs great but I don't think it want's any part of a fast V-8 car from like 40mph right now not sure if it ever will? Thanks for reply's guys I love this website! Chris Derrick P.S. I would like to reply this car has great throttle response idle start up no flaws just needs more Up stairs and I am wondering if this is possible?

Last edited by Chris Derrick; 10-06-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
To tell you the truth...with mine 1&2 are the two gears that don't feel as strong. Now i have the older 2.0 but 3rd is really where it feels like it comes alive if Im going through the gears. You may wanna run a data log with the ap and post it up maybe some of these guys can see what's going on if anything. What kind of boost are you hitting in 3rd and 4th? Third Im at the high 14ish and 4th i see 16-16.5 depending on how cool it is outside. If you aren't hitting target boost you may have a boost leak. Just a thought.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#3 Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Derrick View Post
Hello everyone I got a 2011 WRX limited I love it runs great and here is list of mods. Cobb access port, invidia down married cattless downpipe, Cobb intake and air box, short shifter with bushings. All i have done is downloaded the stage 1 then the stage 2 from cobb website when time was right on the parts list. This car hauls the mail in 1st 2nd but third and 4th it just doesn't seem to have the lungs and I am wondering if this is normal maybe because its 4 cylinder etc?? If this is the case I am cool with it but if say a pro tune will wake the up stairs up quite a bit then I will look at this in the future! FYI I have drove very fast cars use to race SSO in NMRA and Fun Ford and have been as quick at 7.10 at 215mph in 1/4 mile but have never drove anything but v-8 cars. This WRX runs great but I don't think it want's any part of a fast V-8 car from like 40mph right now not sure if it ever will? Thanks for reply's guys I love this website! Chris Derrick P.S. I would like to reply this car has great throttle response idle start up no flaws just needs more Up stairs and I am wondering if this is possible?

This statement makes me laugh. I'd be willing to put that to the test...
As far as your car, yes a custom tune will make a big difference. A Cobb map is designed to be used a general upgrade on most cars. Each car is different, so they have different needs.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Guys I will take look but its 1st and 2nd that hit hard bottom third runs good but you can tell its just overly safe upstairs in 3rd, 4th
thanks CD
#5 Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
To tell you the truth...with mine 1&2 are the two gears that don't feel as strong. Now i have the older 2.0 but 3rd is really where it feels like it comes alive if Im going through the gears. You may wanna run a data log with the ap and post it up maybe some of these guys can see what's going on if anything. What kind of boost are you hitting in 3rd and 4th? Third Im at the high 14ish and 4th i see 16-16.5 depending on how cool it is outside. If you aren't hitting target boost you may have a boost leak. Just a thought.
I have not checked boost yet but target should be 18.3 with 93 octane stage 2.
#6 Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Yeah Keith i know i sure know what mine would do to one...provided i had a nice long stretch of closed road. That's where my car is at its best...launching aside. I honestly don't know for sure though. I don't street race. ;-)

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#7 Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

wow you guys got me wondering? Why would mine not have much up stairs? There isn't any reason for boost leak nothing up there has been taken apart. And its not heat soak because in the AM on way to work today it was 53degrees and car just up to temp getting on the interstate it was running good! I doubt its knock got good 93 octane gas and what should be safe Cobb stage tune for down pipe and there intake. What are you guys thinking maybe I am just expecting to much? Don't take me wrong its not turd up there but just feels like it falls off quite bit from first 3 gears. Looking at dyno # this makes sense looks like all the tq is 3000-4500 rpms so up in top of gears your making lot less tq but more HP. Thanks CD
#8 Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Get a couple logs posted.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 10-07-2011, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Your turbo and engine are not designed for high RPM power, that's pretty much it.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

I looked at data log today and boost goes to 17.5 then by 6000 rpms its at 13.5 this is also what the tune says it will do. I will try to post today. Thanks Everyone. CD
#11 Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Completely normal... The way the car is set up from the factory (pretty much turbo limited) it's fast up to about 5k rpm's and then it starts to fall off.

If you want to keep making power up top you need to change a lot, mainly a larger turbo that can breathe that high up in the rpm range, but head work also helps.

Unlike all the big V8's you've been around (I would guess N/A and supercharged, maybe a big turbo'd V8), you now have to deal with a 4 cylinder turbo powerband, which is pretty peaky when using a tuned factory configuration.

-Chris
#12 Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Completely normal... The way the car is set up from the factory (pretty much turbo limited) it's fast up to about 5k rpm's and then it starts to fall off.

If you want to keep making power up top you need to change a lot, mainly a larger turbo that can breathe that high up in the rpm range, but head work also helps.

Unlike all the big V8's you've been around (I would guess N/A and supercharged, maybe a big turbo'd V8), you now have to deal with a 4 cylinder turbo powerband, which is pretty peaky when using a tuned factory configuration.
LOL our car was a 90 gt with 427'' small block ford and twin GT47 "88mm" turbo's making about 2700hp with giant intercooler in passenger seat that ate 20 10lb bags of ice a pass! I have only owned 4cylinder hondas and always wanted an AWD turbo car and love this one! I don't care to get stupid with lots of gadgets etc but if it makes it safer, more reliable, and little more hp I will think about it. Will the car do any better with after market wastgate? How about larger top mount intercooler at my power level now? Thanks for the response pal! Chris Derrick
#13 Old 10-07-2011, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

I am wondering what a pro tune would do or am I only looking at 10 hp? I noticed AF is set up at 11:1 right now. Car is getting 21-22MPG and love it!
#14 Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Huh, so let me get this straight, our cars are designed from the factory to only be fast from stop light to stop light because of the turbo?....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
OP if you are going to get a pro tune, look at similar stage 2 (+) guys. If you get a pro tune and the funds allow get at least a 3 port boost control solenoid, it will help spool and help you hold that power longer towards redline. But like mentioned above, you really have a rather small turbo, bigger than previous year WRXs, but still small, that doesnt breath well or produce the power up top.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"