Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stage 1, Cobb Intake question

13K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  wrxPaulie 
#1 ·
I'm rather new to modifying cars so bear with me if I lack the correct vocab. I have an '11 WRX and just installed the Cobb Intake and flashed the ECU for Stage 1+93. I drove it a decent amount today to test out the feel and the acceleration seems slower. Anyone else experience this? It may just be me overanalyzing everything but it just seems like the car rides "heavy" when accelerating.

Thoughts?

#7 ·
Right. It's gonna vary a bit from car to car. I only say that long because I wasn't checking the dynamic advance multiplier every single day. And when I did it was about 5 days after and everything was as it should be. If you wanna make sure everything is normal, just go into the live data on the ap, and look under the dam, I believe it should be sitting at 1. If so the ecu is probably "happy" with how everything is working.

#13 ·
I use the ots map and its ok but it has been said by many that the ots maps aren't end all be all. A custom map will be better long term. These ots maps are very generic, you will get more power, a better fuel curve and better drivability, with a custom map. I have been very surprised with this map for my car, and honestly the only reason I haven't gotten a protune is because the closest real tuner to me is in plano tx. Quite a drive for me and that shop is by no means a cheap one.

#16 ·
flashes dont take time to "learn". if they did then i wouldnt be able to go do a WOT run, stop, fix a few things like added or taking away fuel, adding boost, messing with timing etc and then go do another WOT run 3 minutes later. if it had to learn then every run id be losing HP and TQ and not gaining it. same goes with a pro tune. they run it, tune it, run it, tune it, etc. when you leave you have more power than when you came. every reset will set the DAM or IAM to 1. if you start feedback knocking then the ECU will learn it at that spot and pull timing where the fine knock will kick it. if you have fine knock thats basically learned knocked and something needs adjusted. if you pull fine knock long enough and big enough that will cut the DAM or IAM down below 1. thats when you know your having major timing issues but this can still happen 5 seconds after a flash. now getting the DAM or IAM back to 1 without a ECU reset; THIS will take time and a few days to make it happy again. personally i wouldnt want it to go back on its own because something bad happend in the first place and id want to fix it before it happened again.

if it feels like a dog then post up a log and we'll see if anything is wrong.

PS in this heat all your cars should feel like dogs.

#17 ·
True enough Scott... a flashed map is immediate. What they're talking about is the realtime map. If you're needing the realtime map to settle in to make the car run good. Then your flash map probably needs adjusted because it shouldn't be that bad right after a flash.

I'm just glad the humidity and heat is going away for a bit here. It was sucking some power out of my car.

#18 · (Edited)
I guess the older cars are a bit different?? When I put mine on the ecu was reset(apparently) with the flash, I'm pretty sure I remember it starting at 12 and moving back to 16 over a few days.(I could be wrong, but I thought that was the case) its been a few months and I have slept since then :p. But yeah my car has been a bit sluggish lately while temps have been in the 90s. A spray of the ic mister has fixed it up for a bit when I need some extra go go juice:) I agree though about the log, putpull one and post it up. You have the attention of the right members to help you out man. (Scott)
Now that I think of it after reading this back, I was using a map that was good for both stock or Sf intake. My bad. I did a manual reset to make myself feel better. Good call Scott

#19 ·
Well, it depends on how much was changed with the flash map. I know a few times my car would idle weird after a protune but, my tuner said the real time map just needed to figure that out with a couple minutes of idleing and given a day or two it'd be fine. Other than that though; my car ran like a champ right after a protune.

Sent from my AT100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#22 ·
Hi Guys...

Got my AP and I'm loving it.
All I got on the car now is
Nameless axle-back 4" muffler single wall 3.5 tip, quads
Perrin CAI
Stock BpV
Cobb AP Stage 1

Car run amazing, very sharp and I can feel the difference in power delivery, its faster
I'm over boosting little bit ( 16.8 ) should be 15.5 but I'm getting the car dyno tuned.
Not yet, talked with the tune shop and they want me to wait till my car hits 3000miles
and then I will go Stage 2 I'm gonna add cat-less DP, Grimmspeed EBCS
and boost ad A/F gauges.
While I'm there I will stiffen the car little bit with Whiteline sway bars.

But till the 3000 miles hit my car I want to wait, I'm at 1955 so in about a month or maybe later.

Ty guys for all the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.