SPT vs. PERRIN - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

458Italia is an unknown
SPT vs. PERRIN

Hello all,
I am going to be buying an exhaust soon for my 2010 WRX. I am considering the SPT and the Perrin exhaust (catback). I went to the dealer and they told me that if I put the Perrin on, and they can link a problem to it then they will not cover warranted problems. This is the main reason why I am considering the SPT. However, I am concerned that the SPT exhaust will be too quiet. And if I do go with the Perrin would I be able to put the stock exhaust on when I take it in to the dealer. Any opinions or thoughts will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If something breaks because of a cat back then hell froze over. To answer your question, you can easily put the stock system back on the car if you have an ounce of mechanical knowledge in your body in under a half hour. The perrin will be a bit louder than the SPT, but the SPT still sounds good.

-Chris
post #3 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

soup_notzee is an unknown
what mechanical problem could potentially go wrong with just a catback, anyway...? i cant think of one
post #4 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Maybe since the piping is a larger diameter small rodents can now crawl up it and get into the cats and chew them up? Either way you still have issues because there are still household pets in your exhaust....

I digress.

I can't see anything negative about adding an aftermarket exhaust.

-Chris
post #5 of 17 Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

SirVilhelm is an unknown
So which one did you choose? How do you like it? I am looking at the same two exhausts. I want something that shows off the exhaust but doesn't drone on the highway.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 AM
AMG
WRXtuners Member

AMG is an unknown
Generally the louder the exhaust, the more likely it will drone.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

458Italia is an unknown
I ended up with the Perrin. I LOVE IT! It rumbles but its not loud unless you're at WOT. I went with the Perrin because I was afriad the SPT would be too quiet. The Perrin drones a little bit but it's not bad at all, I kind of like the drone becuase it just lets you know the rumble is there.

P.S. The tip looks really nice with the diffuser, I'll get some pics
post #8 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Glad to hear you came to a decision and that you are happy with it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I have a Perrin exhaust and it doesn't drone at all. It is loud enough to hear on the highway going 65+ but it isn't a droning/resonating thing. At 75 I'm cruising at nearly 3000 rpm so I'm going to hear the exhaust no matter what it is.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #10 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx265_8 is an unknown
Is that in the 6th gear? dont you have a sti?
post #11 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Yes, that is in 6th gear. The gears are short :eek:

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #12 of 17 Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

458Italia is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
I have a Perrin exhaust and it doesn't drone at all. It is loud enough to hear on the highway going 65+ but it isn't a droning/resonating thing. At 75 I'm cruising at nearly 3000 rpm so I'm going to hear the exhaust no matter what it is.
Yea, that's what I meant, haha. It's not a drone but you can still hear it
post #13 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueMica Rex is an unknown
So when you say drone, but you can still hear it, what do you mean? I had an exhaust on my last car (VW Golf, yeah I know, the exhaust was on when I got it) and it wasn't too bad, but "too bad" is a terrible description. I know most people say if you have to ask, it's too loud, but I'm an engineer so I work in numbers. Any idea what decible range you're in at say 3000rpm (you probably don't have the tools to measure this, but maybe compare it to something you know like a blender, a tractor trailer, or a subway train)?
post #14 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I personally think my SPT got to be a little bit "droney" at freeway cruising speed. It's most noticeable when I have passengers trying to hold a conversation and I can't hear a thing they say over the exhaust. I will be trying to revert all my stuff back to stock this weekend and will be selling some of my stage 2 parts. I just don't know remember if I threw away the mid-pipe for the stock exhaust or not. If I can bolt up the stock mufflers to the SPT mid-pipe, I'll likely do that. Back to my point, I would say even the SPT drones. It's not way loud, and at no point is the engine sound in the front louder than the exhaust. I want there to be a nice balance between the 2. The exhaust didn't do anything that I could notice anyway. I'd do the downpipe first with EM for the same price.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

458Italia is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMica Rex View Post
So when you say drone, but you can still hear it, what do you mean? I had an exhaust on my last car (VW Golf, yeah I know, the exhaust was on when I got it) and it wasn't too bad, but "too bad" is a terrible description. I know most people say if you have to ask, it's too loud, but I'm an engineer so I work in numbers. Any idea what decible range you're in at say 3000rpm (you probably don't have the tools to measure this, but maybe compare it to something you know like a blender, a tractor trailer, or a subway train)?
I don't know of a much better way to put, it's not louder than a tractor trailer, or a subway. It's probably on the same decibel level of a blender at 3000 RPM. Trust me, if you're looking at buying this exhaust it's a lot quieter than the turboxs, or invidia (I actually love the exhaust note and decibel level. it is perfect, and I like quieter exhausts so the cops don't give me problems). When at 2800 RPM on the freeway there is a slight drone but it's not that noticable. I don't understand how the spt is droney, unless Hondafan has a downpipe (which he probably does because he is stage 2). FYI Hondafan, I'm pretty sure the midpipe on the SPT is 2.5 inches which is the same as the stock midpipe, I think the muffler is just different. I'm pretty sure but I could be wrong.