Subaru WRX Forum banner

SPT catback + COBB DP soundclips?

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Tim W 
#1 ·
Currently have a '12 WRX with SPT catback and am planning on a COBB downpipe. Is there anyone familiar with this setup? I'm looking for feedback on the loudness of the combo. SPT is significantly quieter compared to other after market brands of catbacks and was hoping someone would have a sound clip or YouTube link of the two.

Thanks

#2 ·

Alright there's 3 sound clips. Take them for what there worth. Sound quality is only so good. I'm actually hoping to install my cobb dp this weekend and I already have the spt catback on my sedan. I doubt the sound will change that much. The part that really contributes to sound is the catback set up.

#5 ·
So the install is complete, I will try and get some pictures and videos at some point this week. I did not think that the car was much louder than before. On a cold start it seemed a little louder than before. It was not an annoying louder though. It seemed the noise at cruising speeds were pretty close to the same as before as well. So all and all I would say there isn't much more noise. I also installed an aem intake so that was added noise under the hood! :D

#8 ·
Love it! Well worth it. I was very impressed. I'm glad I did it. Some parts of the install were slow going and frustrating, but that's cars for ya. I just stayed patient and kept plugging away.

When you're ready to do yours I will do my best to answer any questions. It's easy in the fact that everything goes back where it came. How much of a pita they wanna be coming out is another.

#11 ·
Here are a few clips of spt cat back with the cobb dp. I'm not sure if it will work.

-voice 1 is cold start at idle in the car then right by the muffler and then standing about 3 feet away. (the rattle at the beginning is the make shift spacer at the dp to cb because we snapped the original 2, i've since replaced them with the correct ones)
-voice 2 is normal acceleration
-voice 3 is normal then a I stepped on it a little get the intake noise in 2nd gear
-voice 4 is stand still rev with my turn signal clicking in the background

Attachments

#12 ·
Good street setup for sure. The 11+ sedan cutback from COBB was just released last week to the USDM... Something else to consider if you want guaranteed trouble free OTS COBB maps. The reason for the delay was partly to develop a catback that maintains OEM NOx emissions as well as stock back pressure to make it safe for stage 2 with the stock MAF sensor. This wasn't a design problem with the wagon. The SPT works if you trust hobbyist data loggers, but the COBB cbe is dyno proven with their OTS maps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.