specific tune? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Im not trying discredit Keith or anything (as he has more knowledege than I could ever hope to even read) but I use the Cobb AP with my 20G setup and have used it since stage 1. And if you look at Cobbs cars and others, in the hands of the right person it can be used to pretty high levels also.

But like mentioned above its about personal choice and how much you want to spend.
That's twice you have pointed out something I should have added....LOL

I guess I should have stated that a little better than I did. With the AP you can get custom tunes done as you mod the car more. From the sounds of it you aren't looking for 11,000,000,000hp so as it comes out of the box should be good for you.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
That's twice you have pointed out something I should have added....LOL

I guess I should have stated that a little better than I did. With the AP you can get custom tunes done as you mod the car more. From the sounds of it you aren't looking for 11,000,000,000hp so as it comes out of the box should be good for you.
Pointed out something that you should have? What that you know 11,000,000,000 more things about these cars than me? Lol.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#18 Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
No I really need to re-read my posts before adding them so as to include more data to help the OP make a more informed choice...silly pants.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#19 Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Lol, its alrite. No harm no foul. One of these days I will be as knowledgeable and remember as much as you have forgot. At least you are far to the AP and dont totally bash on it or discredit it. I think the OP just needs to really read about both and see which they are more comfortable with. Either way, both are great for the car, and for the driver enjoyment.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Lol, its alrite. No harm no foul. One of these days I will be as knowledgeable and remember as much as you have forgot. At least you are far to the AP and dont totally bash on it or discredit it. I think the OP just needs to really read about both and see which they are more comfortable with. Either way, both are great for the car, and for the driver enjoyment.
I didn't mean that in a bad way my good man, stupid internet doesn't always convey what I am trying to say or how I am trying to say it. What I mean is that I really am getting old and forgetting things and it's not good especially when it comes to important things like this.
For me it's all about "freedom of choice" I used the AP years ago, v1 of course, and it was a great tool. I enjoyed it's versatility and ease of use really.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#21 Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08alaska View Post
id really like something i dont need a computer for because i dont have internet at my house. i only get on it at work and i dont think theyd like me downloading to much on this computer.. does the cobb ap have all of the off the shelf tunes on it when you buy it.. the website listed stock stage 1 adn 1+ also stage 2 and 2+. it looked like the stage 2+ would be what im looking for it says aftermarket intake and turbo back exhaust.. any other programmers a good plug and play?
Ok, is it a K&N typhoon intake or K&N drop in filter? Two very different things. The latter is fine with any OTS map. A K&N typhoon intake will require a protune. Why? You might ask. Because they only support AEMs intake and the Cobb SF intake.

COBB Tuning . Subaru WRX AccessPORT . Map Listing

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#22 Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
Quote:
With opensource (once you have all the programs loaded/downloaded) there are pre-made maps you can either get or buy from people and places similar to the AP. Those are the two most used EMs for subies.
loaded/downloaded to my computer or car? and is opensource a plug and play? cobb can be with off the shelf tunes right?
#23 Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Ok, is it a K&N typhoon intake or K&N drop in filter? Two very different things. The latter is fine with any OTS map. A K&N typhoon intake will require a protune. Why? You might ask. Because they only support AEMs intake and the Cobb SF intake.

COBB Tuning . Subaru WRX AccessPORT . Map Listing
ya i saw that on cobbs site the other night.. its a typhoon tho im sure like i said it was on when i got it. def would not have been my first choice for cai. the stage2+ ots tune says for turbo back exhaust systems and cai. id imagine that one would work but i also imagine after reading so much it may be a little iffy
#24 Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08alaska View Post
loaded/downloaded to my computer or car? and is opensource a plug and play? cobb can be with off the shelf tunes right?
*says in the evil emperor from Star Wars voice*"Yes my child I can see it now, you will give in to the dark side.. HAHAHAHAHA!!!
On a serious note, read about opensource here. Then if you have any more questions please feel free to ask me anything.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#25 Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Open source isn't plug and play easy. It takes some more leg work, but it doesn't mean that it sucks.

Uh, the K&N Typhoon will need a protune unless you change your intake to a Cobb or open source friendly intake. I think XPT makes maps for one or two intakes as well. Someone else could enlighten you on that. But, I'm pretty sure no one makes off the shelf/pre-built maps for K&Ns intakes.

Kirt
#26 Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Open source isn't plug and play easy. It takes some more leg work, but it doesn't mean that it sucks.
This is true there is a bit more to it than the AP.

Again it's............................................

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#27 Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Link fail

Kirt
#28 Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Link fail
It works for me... your browser<my browser...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#29 Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

What browser? My internet explorer says, "Embedding disabled by request. Please watch on youtube."

Kirt
#30 Old 07-23-2011, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
What browser? My internet explorer says, "Embedding disabled by request. Please watch on youtube."
Then click on it and watch it on youtube silly....lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...