specific tune? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
specific tune?

i have a 08 wrx. with a catless downpipe and a air intake. prgrammers for it? anyone have specific one theyd recommend for this mild setup? ive heard a lot about cobbs plug and play one. good and bad. would hope to get someone running something similar and know how its working for them thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
What kind of intake?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
its a k&n the dealership took it in used and put it on. not sure why but they did. im gonna change it eventually because i was never a fan of k&n.. will the program matter if i change the intake? and if i just kept the k&n what woukld you suggest
post #4 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Well if you get a Cobb AP, I would go with a Cobb intake. I try to keep all one brand when I can.

-Derek
post #5 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
would teh cobb ap still work with the k&n? im gonna change the k&n eventually but it wont be all at one time
post #6 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Uhh..It will work. How good it will work is the question. I have a 02, and I know that it doesnt really get along with any other intakes except stock, Cobb, and SPT intakes (thats what Ive seen from lotss of research). I had a crappy ebay one on when I got my car, then I spent some money on a Cobb and it was much better.

Try out the Cobb forum. There might be some more help there also.

-Derek
post #7 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
cobb forum on here or just one off the internet? thanks for the advice
post #8 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
COBB Forums

There you go. It should help. Or there's more people here that would love to help you.

-Derek
post #9 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

kcwrxfan is an unknown
So right now you have a ctaless DP and k&n CAI or SRI and the car isn't tuned? Not sure how much different the 08 are from the 11's but that is a huge issue for the a/f, you really should put the stock intake back on it and get a pro tune or AP from cobb and get a map for the DP. cobbtuning.com also kronosperformance.com is selling the AP for $547 right now this month, great savings.

Good luck, hopefully someone with a 08 and more mods can help you out. I see no maps for k&n products.
post #10 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
There is no map for a K&N intake. Personally I'd get a tune on that car ASAP. The 08's a prone to lean conditions from the factory anyway and running an aftermarket DP with no tune is asking for trouble. Now if you had an 02-03 it's a little different, but 04 on up a tune is the most important thing to get for the car first.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #11 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
it has a k&n on it now i got it from the dealership used like that.. i havent put the dp on yet because ive read so much about getting it programmed first. so now im trying to find the right one to go with.. those will be the only mods that it gets is the intake and exhaust. so whatever programmer you guys rec. would help. everywhere i see is the cobb accessport that seems to be subarus big thing
post #12 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08alaska View Post
it has a k&n on it now i got it from the dealership used like that.. i havent put the dp on yet because ive read so much about getting it programmed first. so now im trying to find the right one to go with.. those will be the only mods that it gets is the intake and exhaust. so whatever programmer you guys rec. would help. everywhere i see is the cobb accessport that seems to be subarus big thing
Again personal choice. I use Open Source software, Romraider and ECUflash. Nothing wrong with the Cobb Tuning stuff though. It's a good choice for people who don't really want to push the envelop with there cars and prefer a nice subtle increase in performance. There are others, but most a stand alone and very complicated to use for a beginner.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #13 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 08:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im not trying discredit Keith or anything (as he has more knowledege than I could ever hope to even read) but I use the Cobb AP with my 20G setup and have used it since stage 1. And if you look at Cobbs cars and others, in the hands of the right person it can be used to pretty high levels also.

But like mentioned above its about personal choice and how much you want to spend.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08alaska is an unknown
id really like something i dont need a computer for because i dont have internet at my house. i only get on it at work and i dont think theyd like me downloading to much on this computer.. does the cobb ap have all of the off the shelf tunes on it when you buy it.. the website listed stock stage 1 adn 1+ also stage 2 and 2+. it looked like the stage 2+ would be what im looking for it says aftermarket intake and turbo back exhaust.. any other programmers a good plug and play?
post #15 of 38 Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
With opensource (once you have all the programs loaded/downloaded) there are pre-made maps you can either get or buy from people and places similar to the AP. Those are the two most used EMs for subies.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement