Subaru WRX Forum banner

Single Exhaust Versus Dual

34K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  anxiouz 
#1 ·
I was thinking that going with a single exhaust versus dual exhaust would save on weight, but not sure how much?

Dual exhaust looks nicer, but I would think it probably adds about 40lbs. What are your thoughts?

Single:

Dual:

See less See more
#4 ·
Unless you can find a nice way to get rid of the second exhaust cut-out, I'd just go with the dual exhaust. I always thought cars with two cut-outs and only one exhaust looked a little funny from the back (4 cyl Honda Accords, Honda S2000 w/ aftermarket single exhaust, etc.)

#7 ·
I like the aesthetics of the dual system better, but I find it dumb to have a single pipe divided just for the sake of having 2 mufflers. It just adds unnecessary weight, that does not fit my philosophy: "form follows function/less is more".

Check out what this dude did with his bumper's spare exhaust cut-out:

just an idea...

BTW, are you planning to install that exact same exhaust as in the pictures above? Is that an Invidia Q300?

#11 ·
I share your philosophy on form follows function/less is more. And yes I am thinking about going with the Invidia Q300 due to reputation, sound, function and that they make a single for the sedan. Nothing gets bolted on unless it reduces weight and adds performance and if it does not reduce weight it better add A LOT of performance.

that is one tight looking sti, WOW!

#9 ·
At least on some cars, they have one muffler but just mount it sideways and have two separate exhaust tips so you don't need the weight of two full mufflers. Subaru's "dual" design is too much weight and cost just for the look of two mufflers.

#12 ·
As far as carbon fiber, though this is a great way to reduce weight it is very costly and probably something I would look into as my last option. To spend $1,500 to replace the front hood and rear trunk to save 30lbs is not the best way to spend your money. Replacing the stock 23lb wheels with 18lb wheels is a better investment. Or maybe adding a lighter exhaust w/ down pipe, possibly lighten flywheel and clutch... you get the idea. I am not knockin carbon fiber as a means to reduce weight, just that IMO it's not the biggest bang for the buck.

#13 ·
I think it just depends on what is it that you plan to replace, for instance I wouldn't get rid of my aluminum hood in favor of a CF hood, I would do that with my roof panel though. Why? it just makes more sense to loose the weight on the highest part of the car rather than lower where you already have a rather light and safer part (hood). I'd prefer a carbon wing rather than an OEM STi wing that is more the dead weight that it adds than the downforce that it would provide. Then I would rather have a nice set of carbon backed seats rather than the OEM seats with all the airbags and heating nonsense...

For the exhaust, if you are trying to reduce some weight, go titanium...

#17 ·
just a small interjection: extra weight is not the only reason to go with a single exit exhaust. unless the company that you buy your dual exhaust from has done a LOT of flow analysis on their split from single to dual, odds are very high that the exhaust pulses will scavenge at the split and actually hurt your exhaust flow pretty significantly. just a little food for thought. =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.