Single Exhaust Versus Dual - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
gastoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 7
gastoys is an unknown
Single Exhaust Versus Dual

I was thinking that going with a single exhaust versus dual exhaust would save on weight, but not sure how much?

Dual exhaust looks nicer, but I would think it probably adds about 40lbs. What are your thoughts?


Single:

Dual:
gastoys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
06f250sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
06f250sd is an unknown
I would say it adds 10-15 depending on which muffler is being used. If you want to save weight, get a carbon fiber trunk
06f250sd is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 22
Kwt-Rex is an unknown
The empty gap left by the single is just ugly,do guys think the hatch's diffuer fits the sedan?
Kwt-Rex is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,198
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Unless you can find a nice way to get rid of the second exhaust cut-out, I'd just go with the dual exhaust. I always thought cars with two cut-outs and only one exhaust looked a little funny from the back (4 cyl Honda Accords, Honda S2000 w/ aftermarket single exhaust, etc.)

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,158
RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It doesn't add weight compared to stock though.... I'd say it's still lighter than the oem system you have on it now.

-Chris
RcrsWetDream is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
06f250sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
06f250sd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwt-Rex View Post
The empty gap left by the single is just ugly,do guys think the hatch's diffuer fits the sedan?
The diffuser doesn't fit, its built into the bumper.
06f250sd is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
fuapiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 462
Images: 3
fuapiti is more helpful than not
I like the aesthetics of the dual system better, but I find it dumb to have a single pipe divided just for the sake of having 2 mufflers. It just adds unnecessary weight, that does not fit my philosophy: "form follows function/less is more".

Check out what this dude did with his bumper's spare exhaust cut-out:


just an idea...

BTW, are you planning to install that exact same exhaust as in the pictures above? Is that an Invidia Q300?
fuapiti is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,198
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Good idea.. I haven't seen anybody do that before.

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Moderator
 
mosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,501
Images: 7
mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
At least on some cars, they have one muffler but just mount it sideways and have two separate exhaust tips so you don't need the weight of two full mufflers. Subaru's "dual" design is too much weight and cost just for the look of two mufflers.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
mosc is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
booosted09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 477
Images: 5
booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
i'm going with a single exit exhaust. I do like the tow hook that guy threw on his STI. Looks good.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
booosted09 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
gastoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 7
gastoys is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
I like the aesthetics of the dual system better, but I find it dumb to have a single pipe divided just for the sake of having 2 mufflers. It just adds unnecessary weight, that does not fit my philosophy: "form follows function/less is more".

Check out what this dude did with his bumper's spare exhaust cut-out:


just an idea...

BTW, are you planning to install that exact same exhaust as in the pictures above? Is that an Invidia Q300?
I share your philosophy on form follows function/less is more. And yes I am thinking about going with the Invidia Q300 due to reputation, sound, function and that they make a single for the sedan. Nothing gets bolted on unless it reduces weight and adds performance and if it does not reduce weight it better add A LOT of performance.

that is one tight looking sti, WOW!
gastoys is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
gastoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 7
gastoys is an unknown
As far as carbon fiber, though this is a great way to reduce weight it is very costly and probably something I would look into as my last option. To spend $1,500 to replace the front hood and rear trunk to save 30lbs is not the best way to spend your money. Replacing the stock 23lb wheels with 18lb wheels is a better investment. Or maybe adding a lighter exhaust w/ down pipe, possibly lighten flywheel and clutch... you get the idea. I am not knockin carbon fiber as a means to reduce weight, just that IMO it's not the biggest bang for the buck.
gastoys is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
fuapiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 462
Images: 3
fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastoys View Post
As far as carbon fiber, though this is a great way to reduce weight it is very costly and probably something I would look into as my last option. To spend $1,500 to replace the front hood and rear trunk to save 30lbs is not the best way to spend your money. Replacing the stock 23lb wheels with 18lb wheels is a better investment. Or maybe adding a lighter exhaust w/ down pipe, possibly lighten flywheel and clutch... you get the idea. I am not knockin carbon fiber as a means to reduce weight, just that IMO it's not the biggest bang for the buck.
I think it just depends on what is it that you plan to replace, for instance I wouldn't get rid of my aluminum hood in favor of a CF hood, I would do that with my roof panel though. Why? it just makes more sense to loose the weight on the highest part of the car rather than lower where you already have a rather light and safer part (hood). I'd prefer a carbon wing rather than an OEM STi wing that is more the dead weight that it adds than the downforce that it would provide. Then I would rather have a nice set of carbon backed seats rather than the OEM seats with all the airbags and heating nonsense...

For the exhaust, if you are trying to reduce some weight, go titanium...
fuapiti is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 07-13-2010, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
fuapiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 462
Images: 3
fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
At least on some cars, they have one muffler but just mount it sideways and have two separate exhaust tips so you don't need the weight of two full mufflers. Subaru's "dual" design is too much weight and cost just for the look of two mufflers.
Either way its all more for looks than anything else. In architecture school I learned that looks should be a product of the functionality of things...
fuapiti is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
booosted09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 477
Images: 5
booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
I just picked up a single exit CBE for my car. Does anyone know where i could find that tow hook thats on that STi? Do you think thats a kit or a custom job?

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
booosted09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome