Subaru WRX Forum banner

Silencer Delete

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Nathan21 
#1 ·
I was wondering if this silencer delete would be the same process on my 11 wrx as it would be on this 06 sti?

I would love to do this to my wrx but want to make sure it won't harm anything

#10 ·
Some of personal preference, some of recommendation, other because the Cobb is more of less a short ram intake and the AEM isn't. Essentially it would probably benefit you the most in the long run, even though the stock intake is plenty good as far as performance goes until 300-400 hp, but you never know where you may want to go. Just my few cents. I believe the AEM is cheaper than the Cobb with the box. Cobb is $315 on Cobb's site and AEM I paid $229 on Summit's website with free shipping and I got it the next day.

#18 ·
Plenty good until and good until are different stories, but flatly put, if you're stage 2 you should have an intake because it's a worthwhile investment.

I'm speaking of the "hot box" designs like Cobb. I've personally never heard any short ram under hood intake that's enclose in a hot box make the audible noise that a CAI makes during acceleration...

The designs without a box certainly are a little louder than a CAI...that I def agree with. But open designs "scream" without a box. I personally don't care for the tone a short ram makes without a box. But again, this is just an opinion OP.
The AEM V1 SRI I had 10-11 years ago was outstandingly loud. It was the most annoying sound ever. My APS 70mm CAI and current Perrin BigMAF SRI are silent. It varies intake to intake, but I've never heard of a CAI making that awful suction sound. I imagine the fender well does a good job insulating sound.

#19 ·
^LOL^

Any ram intake is certainly annoying. That's why I say CAI all day if you're buying one. The tones are def horrible.

My buddy Josh has a 10' STi and runs the Cobb SF. I've driven and ridden in his and I think it sounds horrible!

Best thing to do OP is hit up a car show or meet and find someone with the 3 different types. Open/Closed ram and CAI. See which one you care for.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#20 ·
Best thing to do OP is hit up a car show or meet and find someone with the 3 different types. Open/Closed ram and CAI. See which one you care for.
^This

Or you can also Use Youtube to get an idea.

I use a "Boxed" style short ram personally and I think it sounds fine. You can hear the BPV sneeze between shifts and a little bit of suction noise but it's not overpowering.

We don't carry the AEM, but if you decide to go with the COBB I'll be happy to hook you up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.