Subaru WRX Forum banner

Short shifter

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  azn_outlaw 
#1 ·
Ok, I know this has been discussed, but quick question. Im going to buy a 09 WRX that doesnt have the SPT short shifter.

My question is, would it better to have the SPT short shifter, then add the Kartboy bushings and short stick, or just get the Kartboy SS and bushings, utilizing the stock shifter?

thanks

#2 ·
from what i read the SPT short shifter isnt really the best option....the throw on it isnt really that short plus it is way over priced...i think your better off buying the complete Kartboy S.S. kit with bushings and all. I know you are in the same boat as me and you dont want to void your warrant...but i think it is worth the risk..its on my list of things to buy.

#6 ·
I would go with the Kartboy SS and Bushing combo, relatively cheap and you can find it for $120.00 bucks if u search around.

I just installed my Kartboy SS today; I did it at work so I really haven’t had a chance to take it out. From what I can tell though it feels great. Install was a breeze; here are some wonderfully written and illustrated instructions from TWM Performance.

http://www.twmperformance.com/manuals/2008-wrx-short-shifter-install-manual.pdf

#9 ·
#12 ·
+1 for doing the complete set up at once (it is much easier). I have COBB and it is excellent but they have discontinued making them. The hardened busing (front/rear) make a real difference.

FYI, it is much easier to pull the shifter and then do the bushings, then re-install the shifter.

#16 ·
I recently installed the Kartboy bushings and shifter. Its a very nice mod. I really didn't notice that much of a change with the bushings. Probably because the stock rubber bushings are still brand new. The short shifter I for sure noticed a difference. The throws seem to be half as long as they used to be.

Does anyone notice that it takes a little more effort or pressure to shift gears now with the short shifter installed? I don't know if its because there is less leverage with the short shifter or because I tightened the linkage nut too tight.

#17 ·
I'd give it a week or two to see if you get used to it. The day after I thought "How will I get used to this?"

After a week I was pleased as punch.

I just test drove an 09 over the weekend. Subaru is sending me a free copy of DIRT2 for my PS3 for beating up on their brand new car :)

I couldn't believe how long the throws were. I drove the STI also. It had the factory short throw and it felt remarkably similar to my car. The ride was also about the same as my car. With the STI in standard mode(C maybe) it felt about the same as my Stage 2 car. When I put it in C# it really took off.

#19 ·
I put in the Kartboy SS with bushings a little over a month ago and I was the same way. I thought my right arm was going to get huge with the extra effort. I went back in and made sure I didn't overtighten the linkage to the shifter and it was ok so I guess it's something to do with the geometry of the shorter shifter giving you less leverage on the transmission.

I am tempted to put the stock one back in just to feel the difference again. I'm too used to the short throw that I don't remember what it was like not having one.

#21 ·
I just installed a Cobb SS on my 08, man what a difference! The throws are real short and i love how its double adjustable! I bought mine used since they are discontinued....(best $80 ive spent on the WRX so far)....ill be getting the kartboy bushings shortly, cant wait to see the difference with them in.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.