short ram intake and more questions!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
short ram intake and more questions!!

just recently got downpipe/mid pipe/ and quad exhaust from megan racing here in california.

now the next step is, i want to get a intercooler down the road. Perrin Front Mount Intercooler system, now with that system i for sure need a short ram intake correct? and if so whats the best intake to get cobb or aem intake system..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage

Did you install that stuff yet? Tuned? Just curious for numbers. I would def go with an intake on your next round of mods an tuning though as it'll serve a purpose at that point. I got a sick deal on mine so that's the reason I got it already. I went CAI but I heard Cobb is the way to go if you want short ram air.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#3 Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Don't get a FMIC until you go with a larger turbo.
#4 Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
Megan said no tune need for dp catack system.. tune is only needed for after uppipes and intakes etc.. not exhaust system.

But yes soon will get results I hope.. they said 10_15hp gains..and ya the parts are on and I do feel a much bigger pull and hear the turbo wined up a lot louder and hear the air wooosh out of the exhaust.

What's is fmic? Dent know all terms yet..
#5 Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anytime you mess with the downpipe, you will need a tune.

Only things you don't need to tune for are catbacks. Among a few little things.

Rule of thumb, anything that creates power will need a tune/tweaking.

TMIC=Top mount intercooler.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

Garage

He's referring to a front mount intercooler setup instead of a top mount. Like mentioned you don't need a fmic unless you plan to upgrade your turbo, but you don't have to do it at the same time either. You can have the fmic first and upgrade the turbo later. And I know you're good with just a cat-back with no tune but idk about a DP without one...maybe someone will clarify. You really wanna get that stock map off your car ASAP anyways though so I'd recommend the tune either way. The stock map is borderline dangerous according to multiple tuners I've spoken with. At least a stage 1 from a Cobb AP. That would def be my next move if I were you.

#7 Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Anytime you mess with the downpipe, you will need a tune.

Only things you don't need to tune for are catbacks. Among a few little things.

Rule of thumb, anything that creates power will need a tune/tweaking.

TMIC=Top mount intercooler.
Paul beat me to the reply lol! I thought the tune was needed though. So get yourself an intercooler and a tune OP and you'll be pushing good power even without a turbo upgrade.

#8 Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost911 View Post
Megan said no tune need for dp catack system.. tune is only needed for after uppipes and intakes etc.. not exhaust system.

But yes soon will get results I hope.. they said 10_15hp gains..and ya the parts are on and I do feel a much bigger pull and hear the turbo wined up a lot louder and hear the air wooosh out of the exhaust.

What's is fmic? Dent know all terms yet..
Megan has no idea what they are talking about. If you drive your car with that downpipe installed in boost you are potentially going to damage your motor. Tuning is 100% mandatory immediately after installation.

Installing a FMIC will only harm your performance on the stock turbo. With anything smaller than a 20G you really should stay with a TMIC. Even with larger than that many people still opt to run a TMIC and it works fine.

Stop buying parts and start researching. Uneducated, impulsive purchases will get you nowhere.
#9 Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
I stand by K&N drop in filters.
You might wanna read up on messing with the intake also.
Like said, impulsive purchases will get you nowhere and end up costing you more headaches than HP.
Good luck man.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
Rebuild in progress....

Chuck.
#10 Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Garage

He's already basically pushing a stage 2 setup though guys and our plastic intercoolers aren't going to last long like that, and certainly not after anymore modding than he or I have. I def agree with these guys you can go without an intake if you want for now OP as our intakes ARE good with any stage 2 setup and it doesn't NEED to be done. If installed and tuned along with your intercooler it'll certainly help HP gains though. After the mods you've already installed at least an intercooler should be pretty close on the list of mods afterwards if you're modding to the point of a bigger turbo or plan to drive your car "free spirited" lol. But even without the turbo I'd still consider an intercooler. Like mentioned a tmic is cheaper and better for now with the stock turbo esp though, and as you can see some still don't even with a bigger turbo setup. Its a lot of personal preference really and no one will ever agree on the following: intercoolers, bypass valves, and intakes lol! But when tuned it'll absolutely give you power gains...even without a turbo upgrade right away.

#11 Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
with the downpipe and exhaust sytem that i have, how long would it take to make damage to the engine as you say it will?
#12 Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A day.... A month.... A year..... The ECU can't make the adjustments needed to run correctly.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3