It's Gonna be BIG!! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
UPDATE:

DP=Installed
Wideband=Calibrated and Installed
COBB Heatshield=Installed
Tune=Cancelled until next weekend dammit!

I'll have to drive like a granny until I get tuned. At least I didn't go through and put the 3-port on before he called and canceled on me.

I only took two pictures during the install of the stock dp flange... I just don't get why Subaru designed the stock pipe like this...

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You know, that looks even shallower for the wastegate than the old models. You think they made it even more restrictive just so we'd have more to unleash?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#18 Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Shallow it is not... It's completely flat. The old ones I remember there was at least a bit of a recess.

On a positive note, I haven't thrown a CEL since the install of the pipe and AFR's are in check. I'm still too afraid to get into boost and I won't until I get tuned, but I'm pretty sure I can hear the turbo through the exhaust now and I like it.

-Chris
#19 Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well here are some installed pictures of the downpipe.

Looking at the wideband coupler/sending unit/whatever it's called

I also have a before and an after video of the CBE vs TBE Exhaust Setup.

CBE

TBE

-Chris
#20 Old 04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
It sounds good, lets see some numbers...

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#21 Old 04-10-2010, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
What do you have to do to calibrate the wideband afr gauge? I have an AEM one but never had it 'calibrated'. I thought it was plug and play type deal once you had the bung welded and hooked it up, lol. -1 for being lame on my end...

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
#22 Old 04-10-2010, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well from the Innovate instructions there is a black calibration wire that you hook a press button switch and led to, and then hook that to ground. Let the sensor hang in open air and then turn the key. Wait for 20 seconds till the sensor heats up, then switch the key off. Turn it back on after 20 seconds and hold the button down that is connected to the calibration wire. The led will blink throughout the process and then when you've successfully calibrated it, the led stays on. Mine remained lit after I went through the process so I assume it's calibrated right.

Basically it calibrates open air and then then it knows what atmosphere readings are so it can then compare that to what is sees in the pipe.

On a side note, I got on it just a few minutes ago coming back from the store and the car definitely feels faster, especially since it spools quite a bit sooner even without a tune. I promise I won't do it much, I just couldn't help myself. The turbo sounds so nice through the exhaust now!

-Chris
#23 Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

soup_notzee is an unknown
rcrs- did you have trouble getting the 02 sensor off of the dp? what tool did you use?
#24 Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Came right off with a 22mm wrench. I unplugged it while still on the car and pulled the stock dp off with it still on, and then took it off once I got the pipe off the car. It was no trouble at all.

-Chris
#25 Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Once you get the DP on and can hear the Turbo. Its the greatest thing since sliced bread for a few weeks. lol

Does your tuner have a dyno? I'm curious on the numbers too.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#26 Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

It's going to be a road tune... I live 35 miles from the COBB headquarters and then go figure they moved to Texas.. They charge 200/hr and you need an AP to get tuned there but I was going to do it. Bastards.

The tune is set...

7pm Friday night. Should take 3-4 hours since we do a pull in an undisclosed location, tweak for a half hour or so depending on how it looks, and repeat until it's dialed in.

I'm stoked.

-Chris
#27 Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

3-port is on. Ready to tune.

-Chris
#28 Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Updates??

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#29 Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh are there updates.

Just got done with the tune....

Can you say 20psi at 3200 rpm's and ZERO KNOCK and perfect 10.9ish AFR's??

I can.

Good lord the car feels good now. It pulls very hard all the way to the 7k redline and feels right at home with a quick blip of the throttle. My guy's on-board dyno software came back at 285hp/280tq at the wheels. Not too sure how accurate it is but he said it's the fastest WRX he's tuned. That last part made me smile, not to mention stepping on the gas and going crazy.

The car seems to be happy running slightly rich at just under 11.0/1. We turned the fuel up to about 11.2 and it had a few small knocks (under a degree), so we pulled it back and now there is zero knock whatsoever.

EDIT:
Also, so everybody knows, my IDC's are at 85%. His on board dyno software, after some more plots, came back at 280whp, 301 wtq. Again, who knows how accurate it is, but 85% is a safe spot at 20 psi.

-Chris

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 04-17-2010 at 11:13 AM.
#30 Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Random update because I scared myself this morning. I got in the car and was leaving my apartment when I hear a clunking coming from right under the center console. Only happens in first gear a split second after I get moving. I thought I was effed. About two miles later I remember that I put my empty propane tank behind my seat to get filled up.... it was rolling an inch or so when I would start movingand hit the back seat. I laughed because I realized what an idiot I was to forget the tank was on the floor back there. Definitely a relief though lol.

-Chris