It's Gonna be BIG!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's Gonna be BIG!!

Well Iím about to put the ďfinishingĒ touches on my car in the next two weeks. Next weekend, April 3rd, Iím getting my COBB downpipe and Innovate LC-1 Wideband + DB Gauge (WBO2 data logging plus the gauge).

Both pieces are already ordered, the wideband Iím picking up for $220 brand new from a guy by me (he has a sweet hookup with Innovate- he is also performing my tune), and the COBB is on hold for me until they get back in stock at my shop mid to late next week. Iíll be putting those in right away, and Iím going to take it easy for the week I have the DP on as Iíll be running it w/o a tune.

The following weekend, April 10th, Iím putting on my dusty GrimmSpeed 3-Port on and getting tunedÖ. Itís been a long (read: expensive) road, but Iím finally going to be seeing some real results after all the hard work Iíve put into the car.

Some of you may know, my goal is 300 awhp/300+ tq, and I donít know if Iíll hit that because of my elevation and gas situation, but I know the car will be more than capable of it given my mod list. I said ďfinishingĒ touches earlier, and I still have more to come, but the power adders are complete after this next step. Once I get this done, Iím looking to do my engine/trans/pitch mounts, sport grille, some sort of BPV if the stock one canít hold up to my boost levels (thinking 18ish psi to be safe on my 91 oct. fuel). After that itís just saving money for an eventual transmission and engine build, but those are a few years down the line (fingers crossed on the tranny build not being necessary but voluntary).

There may be a few other items Iíll need, but only time will tell. The fuel pump and injectors are the big question mark, but all, literally all, the tuners I talk to say I donít need them. This includes the guys at COBB. They have all said stock injectors and pump and fine for the stock turbo. Iím taking their advice, but if I see issues, Iíll do them.

And for fun, hereís an updated mod list including what Iíll be doing in the next two weeks:

COBB Cat Back Exhaust
COBB Catted Downpipe
Perrin CAI
Perrin TMIC
Perrin Front and Rear Swaybars (25mm/22mm)
Perrin Front and Rear Endlinks
Perrin Subframe Lockdown Kit
Kartboy Short Shifter
Kartboy Rear Shifter Stay Bushing
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushing
COBB Knob
COBB Turbo Heat Shield
GrimmSpeed PnPíd Exhaust Manifolds Ė Black Thermal Coating
GrimmSpeed High Flow Crosspipe Ė Black Thermal Coating
GrimmSpeed 3-Port EBCS
Prosport Boost and EGT Gauges
Innovate LC-1 DB Red Wideband 02 and Gauge
RallyArmor ## Black Mudflaps with Grey Logo
Custom Fabbed 3-Pod A-Pillar Setup
Sharp HID 55w 5000k HIDís
Road Tune ~ 18psi (TBD)

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Looks about right... Fule pump will give a little. I thought they were almost maxed on the 09's ? Try to locate a lightweight crank pulley.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I don't think I'm gonna bother doing the crank pulley until I do a full build of the engine and transmission.

-Chris
post #4 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
how will you know your HP and TQ from a road dyno? i know the AP has something to tell you but how real is it?

your cat will hold you back from you goal but your headers should make up for it. 18psi can be had but you IDC will be high so keep an eye out. your 91 will also hold you back. most 09s can run 20-21 degrees of timing but your fuel will probaly only let you run 17-18. your TMIC however will help with the combat of knock. you got a lot going for you and a lot against 300/300. should be intersting to see on some kind of dyno though.

with all that money so far why not 750 or 850 injectors and $70 pump and hit 20-21-22 psi?? again with your fuel you cant run crazy timing but you can still get the benift of higher boost and hit your goal.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #5 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I want to see what the stock fuel system can do really. I have no problem buying 750's and the avo fuel pump and call it a day, but I have a feeling we won't be able to tune as aggressively as the larger injectors and pump call for. Like I said in my first post, I don't think I'm going to get to 300 because of my Utah situation. Maybe if I make it back to Michigan or the east coast, then I can pretty much guarantee I'll hit 300 with 93/94 octane and 600'.

Regardless, 300 was an arbitrary number I wanted to hit when I first started modding the car. My main goal right now is to get a nice wide power band with a bunch o' safe, usable power.

I'm also not too worried about the cat holding me back, a few ponies is a good sacrifice for some cleaner air. If you've ever been you Utah you'd be thanking me. Some of the worst air quality in the nation here because the mountains act like a freaking bubble.

I'm looking at any awd dyno's in Utah right now. Ever since COBB pulled out of Salt Lake City the Subaru community here is scrambling to find tuners and dyno's. If I can find one I'll actually be able to get numbers, but until then, I won't know my numbers (which don't really matter in the first place).

-Chris
post #6 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You don't need all those gauges, you're not actually adjusting anything. A reflash is just as simple to monitor as the factory tune. Use the CEL, the temperature, and your AP. You need gauges when you intend to DO something about what they say. With that money, upgrade the fuel system. Your goals will not be met by stock injectors.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ BUT... if he wants at a later time, he will be all set up for the bigger goodies.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

No AP, all opensource tuning.

-Chris
post #9 of 31 Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well I ordered my DP and turbo-dp and db-cbe gaskets today. They won't be in stock until Monday so hopefully I'll get them on Tuesday. I was supposed to get them on Friday but oh well. I'll just have to install the DP next Friday after work or early Saturday and then head out to get tuned.

I'm still getting my WBO2 on Friday, and I plan on wiring that up so it's all set to just get plugged into the DP once I put it on.

After that I just need to install the 3-port right before the tune and I'm good to go next Saturday for tuning.

-Chris
post #10 of 31 Old 04-04-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well nobody seems to be looking at this but here's a quick update anyway.

Got the wideband on Friday, installed it yesterday. Like I said before, it's the Innovate LC-1 Wideband and DB Red Gauge. I'll be able to log my O2 while tuning and be able to dial in fuel much more precisely during my road tune. Plus I can data log with my O2 readings anytime once I get my Tactrix Cable.

Here are a few pictures:

Box

Mounted the LC-1 on the firewall. The sensor plugs into that once I get my dp. Don't want to run the sensor hanging in the air...

Sensor itself

Gauge installed

-Chris
post #11 of 31 Old 04-04-2010, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
gauges look great.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #12 of 31 Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr Squiggles is an unknown
nice build, you'll have one mean ride!

Hee-hee he said COBB Knob, that's just funny right there.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Looks like I got some goodies in the mail today…

Looking at the Bellmouth section

Tapers to 2.5” at the flange… Not really sure why but oh well.

Looking in the flange at the high flow cat. No wonder they rob power…

I’m going to try and take tomorrow off or at least half off to put it on along with my 3-port ebcs, and then hopefully get tuned on Saturday sometime.

-Chris
post #14 of 31 Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Where'd you get the DP, how much?

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #15 of 31 Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RallySportdirect.com That's my local shop and they're awesome. Typical of COBB, $595 shipped. I'm pretty sure they have a mandate that nobody can sell it for less than that as it's the same price almost everywhere.

-Chris

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 04-09-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement