restrictor pill adn cobb ap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

08silverwrx is an unknown
restrictor pill adn cobb ap

well i been haVING problems with my stage 2 adn ive searched forums on cobb and it wouldnt let me post a thread there for some reason even though i registerd with them but any way my car has been cuttin out around 3k rpms in stage 2 on my car and i was reading that it is the restriction pill on the waste gate and they reccomended that i buy a new one or drill out the orignal one a little bit...does this sound like it would fix the problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

bak2rex is an unknown
what are your mods? I didn't have to mess around with that restrictor pill. I'm also at stage 2 ots map, catless 3inc d/p at that, full 3 inch exhaust, drop in filter and i'm running fine. Be honest on telling us your mods and did you try installing a mbc and just forget to connect the 2 original hoses w/ the restrictor pill back? Don't get mad with my question because I know someone who has done that b4.
#3 Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I know the 06-07 WRXs have that problem, havent read about it for the 08s. Have you tried to email or call Cobb? They can and will that way also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

i have a catless 3inch down pipe and full custom exhaust and im gettin the intake in bout a week...and i got the cobb ap lol...but my cel comes on and says waste gate 'A' and that line where the pill is located and i was reading in the cobb forums a guy with a 08 wrx like mine had the same problem and he called cobb and they are sending him a bigger pill...maybe i should call cobb directly like u said
#5 Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

i didnt touch that line with the pill in it...do u think that it could be my programmer by any chance
#6 Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

bak2rex is an unknown
iirc there is a pill on the little tube on the waste gate side and on the turbo side also. yeah it won't hurt calling cobb..good luck bro
#7 Old 07-11-2008, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah thanks...i asked one of my buddies that has a 02 bug eye and he had the same problem and said he just drilled out the pill a little bit and it worked for him but id rather buy one and know its right...i think that is the problem because thats what the code reader on the cobb is telling me and it all makes sense in a way if u read it in the cobb forum
#8 Old 07-12-2008, 01:24 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you use the correct drill bit size you will be fine. But you can also purchase the line with the appropriate pill in it and change the line. Thats up to you. Good luck with it.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 07-12-2008, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok do u kno what size drill bit i can use or what website i can buy the vacume line from bc i can not find it any where
#10 Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM

I would again try to ask Cobb. I looked through all the info I have and have found and couldnt find it myself, at least pertaining to the 08.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 07-14-2008, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cobraonchrom is an unknown
I have an 08 and I'm about to go stage 2. I'm goin with a Cobb catted DP. Is this only a problem with Catless DP's?
#12 Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

hemoglowen is an unknown
whats a pill restrictor?
#13 Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 AM

I know for the 06-07s it was, not sure about the 08s. A restrictor pill is in avacuum line and it helps to control boost. When you up the boost you can change/drill the pill,or change to a 3 port BCS usually.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 07-15-2008, 06:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bak2rex View Post
iirc there is a pill on the little tube on the waste gate side and on the turbo side also. yeah it won't hurt calling cobb..good luck bro
It forms a T from the solenoid, with one hose going to the wastegate and one hose going to the turbo. There is only one pill and it is located in between the T fitting and the nipple on the turbo compressor housing.

To the OP, contact cobb, but you shouldn't be doing anything to your restrictor pill in a stage 2 setup. Are you getting a CEL when it cuts out? Is your cruise light flashing when this happens? With a catless DP the 2.5L engines are prone to overboosting.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#15 Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 AM

Hey Mike nice to see you back. Cobb actually has a bulletin for the 06-07 about changing the restrictor pill for the stage 2 setup to help with the overboost issue. But you are right in contactng Cobb. They are great,helpful people from my experience.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"