Red wrx 10 Project start - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
-22, wow! Burrrrrr... and I thought it was cold here last year when my thermometer read 7 degrees. You win.

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

whodatbe is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by red104dr View Post
The front lip and rear accent over the licenseplate are SPT factory accessories. The wheels are OZ racing. After I removed all the crome badging off the trunk it looked a little bare, so I had the WRX made in Carbon Fiber: I probably overdid the size.
Where did you do the WRX or get the WRX done for you? I would love to have something like that.
post #33 of 44 Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Arthur is known to be trustworthy and helpful Arthur is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Looks great so far, can't wait to see how it turns out

Arthur - 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
post #34 of 44 Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
Update

Once again I have changed the direction of my build. Not off the original path too much. Ive decided to hold off on the turbo upgrade for now. I have been doing alot of research on twin scroll kits. Not sure which way im gonna go yet but time will tell. Also ive opted for building the block before adding any larger turbo upgrade. so I orderd some parts for my upcoming tune.

New parts to date
AVO front mount intercooler
AVO power intake
AVO slicone inlet pipe

Il be heading down to NJ soon to east coast subaru to get my tune. Infact the only thing im waiting for right now is for my car to actually get here. I will add a few more parts soon nothing major some brushings here and there and lightweight pully. But as my time is running out i will put the car in storage soon. I will have a sit down with a engine building while im down there and get some info on the block build. but for now just playing the waiting game. If all goes well in about 2 weeks time i should have a tune to report. Still thinking about a meth kit to add before i tune it. Temp drops are never a bad thing. I will post pics and numbers soon.
post #35 of 44 Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
post #36 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

roadtrip1098 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastoys View Post
Wow, you are getting serious with the build! I have the exact same car to include the fastest color - "Lightning Red" so I will be watching this thread for updates! I also did not purchase the Premium nor the limited because the options added a lot of un-needed weight. I am actually on the fence on removing the Air Conditioner unit to include the AC radiator - still debating this one as I have not found any data on how much weight that will reduce. Don't really need AC during mild Seattle Summer not to mention I ride my Hayabusa during the hot months.

My build is going towards weight reduction with performance.

1. Lower suspension using Eibach springs - reduces a pound or two
2. O.Z. Alleggerita HLT 18x8 wheels at 17.4 lbs vs OEM Wheel at 23lbs
3. BG Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 235/40ZR18 - I live in Seattle where it rains from Oct to May so need a tire for wet. Tire weight is 23lbs versus OEM Tire at 24lbs. The new 2011 WRX runs the same wheel size with the same drivetrain so there should be no issues going .5 inches taller.
4. 5Zigen FORGED RACING LUG NUTS reduces about 5oz per wheels over OEM
5. Invidia Q300 single exhaust should reduce another 25lbs or so.
6. Invidia Down Pipe
7. Perrin Pully reduce another 4lbs
8. Currently running full synthetic Amsoil in motor, but will be running Amsoil synthetic in Transmission, front and rear diffs
9. Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose
10. Perrin Afta-MAF Hose

Overall I suspect I will lose ~7lbs per wheel, total of ~28lbs
Total reduction of weight to vehicle will be around 60lbs
Total HP/TQ gain ~20HP/20TQ

I plan on keeping the intake stock for now too, with the exception of the H&K drop in filter I added in which I noticed very little gains other than 1MPG better fuel economy and maybe a hint, just a tiny hit of better throttle response.

Car is also debaged with the exception of "WRX" on front and rear to include the big blue Subaru Logo.

I don't have much planned other than that for now because I don't want to mess with the stock tune quite yet.

The last weight reduction will be me at 235lbs at 6ft to get back to my 200lb frame! LOL!

The hard part is justifying all these upgrade with my wife as she does not understand why I need a fast car when I already ride a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa with 200HP no to mention I only drive my WRX when it's raining. Car is 6 months old and only have 1,900 miles on it.
If you're looking for increased performance and lighter weight I recommend at least taking a look at K Sport brakes.... I've been looking at those for a while, but I don't want to install them in a Maine winter. They are supposed to be stupid light and way more powerful, and compared to the other bbk's on the market they are a decent price.
post #37 of 44 Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
update

So this has turned for the worst for the 14th time. So i finally got a day off of work. Got up early to make the three hour drive down to inovative tunning in buffalo NY. Got there and it seams as nature and every other power did not want me to get this tune done. First of all its Neg 17 in new york. I left the cold in alaska i thought. So I get there and there is no heat and the pipes are frozen. The guys there stayed poaitive saying they qwill work on my car cold or not. Awesome im thinking. So we all agree the front mount will take longest, so wed start there. Im looking at the 2.5 pipes and quickly notice the cold side pipe will not make it with my stock battery. So being the smart guys they are there, they asked me who I bought it from. I told them and bam on the phone with a tech at rallitek. We lay out our fitment issue worries with him. They assure us it will fit if we remove the air pump and fit the pipe in and then put the air pump back on. So being that these guys have sold thousands of these im sure we start cutting the bumper and doing the required fitment triming. Three hours later as we attempt to fit the cold side pipe, it will not fit not even close. So at this point i have three options. All of them will cost me more money, which sucks but i want this done so i explore each option. Option 1, smaller battery no issue generally cheap fix. It get really cold here, so we are worried about cold crank start. The smaller battery's im looking might not have what it take to get threw a winter up here. So I look into trunk relocation, uber expenive and wont work i ship my car alot and junk in the trunk is a big no no. option 3 custom cold pipe. expensive but will work. But i only had one day to be down there. SO now i have a car that was massivly de-tuned in light of new intake and inlet pipe and time constrants we could not tune in one day. I called rallitek naturally mad, they had assured us it would fit over and over again and did not require any additional parts for fitment. Wrong way wrong, so now i have a 300 plus labor bill and no front mount. In addition the core is already fitted on, and they will charge me more to take it back off. So we capped the ends, put the bumpber back on and re-installed the top mount. So now I have two intercoolers on my car and one of them working. I have been in contact with rallitek sence then seeking some re-embursment with this issue. I made all the right moves even called them to make sure before starting this whole nightmare. I was given bad intel. My tuner even document on my invoice that rallitek have given us bad info on the intercooler which resulted in this mess. Rallitek was blamming AVO and said that they would have to call AVO and see about re-embersment. On rallitek website it clearly states that it will fit 2010 wrx. There rebuttle was that it will fit the chass code not the car. Im waiting to see the final decision from them before i post the e-mails on here. Pretty much they are saying screw you. The latest e-mail i recived they told me they charge 7 hrs for labor to install a front mount, he litterally said I am getting a deal for 300 bucks labor and if I hit more than 7 hours of labor they might re-emberse me then. The thing is I paid 300 bucks labor with no result because they lied to me. The intercooler itself is very nice I must admit, very quality made. Only if the service behind it was to match id be ok. Now im stuck with finding a battery with enough ccs and small enough to work, or custom cold pipe. I have heard alot of jazz about turbo XS intercooler core being cheaply made in china, which is why I chose a differnt route. Looking back now atleast turbo XS would fitt, and i bet they staned behind there product a little more than these folks are. So my end result for my first tune was a half installed intercooler, not tune and a 600 buck bill. The positive was I did get a few parts installed. Inlet pipe etc.. I recently found a 2007 sti limited for sale and i thought long and hard about trading in for it. But seeing how bad of a time im having with this wrx, just makes me more excited to build her up. If anyone is thinking about buying the AVO front mount belive me id probably go with another company. I defantly expedted alot more from a company like rallitek. I even said i dont want your money, just write in on your website that this will have fitment issues on new wrx models. So some guy doesnt go this nightmare like me. My time is running out quickly here, so before i go im going to make the trip down to NYC to have AMR doctor my car up and give me some results before Im back overseas. Ive also learned alot about tuners over the last few days. Im telling you from lessions learned now, just drive the extra mile to get to the guys who have the reputation to match the product. So in about 2 weeks il try again. Please save your stupid comments for yourself. Even how ugly this turned out im trying to remain optomistic!!! also before somone says to delete the air pump NYS requires it for inspection and IM test.

MORE TO COME
post #38 of 44 Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
lightweight battery

Should solve this problem with a braile 2317 only 17 pounds with enough cca to get me threw im sure. having to spend another 200 bucks, should not be the easy way out. If they had said this from the get go id be ok.
post #39 of 44 Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Unfixed

Stupid comment.

-Chris

Last edited by RcrsWetDream; 02-04-2011 at 03:59 PM.
post #40 of 44 Old 02-04-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
Well first off, let me thank you. You did infact manage to make it threw my very angry post. Congratulations! You also managed to tell it was in anger. Then you must have read the part about stupid comments. But wait you made it a point to post one anyway. Why, well no one really knows why. On a forum of people all with a common intrest and is most cases goals. Would someone post stupid comments, knowing clearly they ate upset. Belive me you would be too! It's ok, I forgive you! Me and jesus we love everyone. And I'm glad ya read it, even though it was poorly written in a angry rush. Me personally if I didn't have something nice or encouraging to say, I wouldn't say it. Especially if I knew they were angry. Thank you anyway , it's good to know that people atleast read or try to read what I write.
post #41 of 44 Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So posting your run on paragraph in a somewhat readable format was a stupid comment?

Well then I'll un fix it and good luck with your problem.

-Chris
post #42 of 44 Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I have to admit, after I was reading through your post I was offended to read that I shouldn't post any stupid comments. It seems like you are expecting that this forum of car enthusiasts who share a common interest was filled with people who weren't here to help you. We read it because we were looking to either gain or offer insight.

On topic, thanks for the heads up on the intercooler. I am starting to look at really building my car, as Subaru is likely going to deny any warranty claim on my motor from this point forward anyway. It's good to know which FMIC won't work well.
post #43 of 44 Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
So i packed up my gear and made the trip down to AMR in NY. For the second time i tried to get this front mount on. No sir not happening without a air pump delete kit. Apprently avo makes two cold side pipes. One for legacy 05-09 one for wrx that has a less agressive bend to it to fit around the air pump. Same intercooler just diffent pipe. The guys at AMR were great by the way and offerd to fabricate the kit to work right on the spot. Rather than get angry again, I just laughed it off. So im trying to sell it to a legacy guy. Also they brought me back to show me what a horrible job the other shop had done cutting my bumper. It was bad I could not tell when mounted but it was a mess under there. I made it there right at 10 when they opened. Nice place with a waiting room filled with leather couches and a big tv. I had to wait for another customer to get done he had a 02 wrx pushing 368 whp and 444 wtq on a AUTOMATIC. Just sick. He told me he had been coming to amr for a long time and they did excelent work. So i was forced to put the stock intercooler back once again. I did not want to cut up the kit and elminate any chance i had at sending it back or selling it. Rob there had delt with people having this problem with the avo kit before. He assured me he could not make water into wine but he could do his best to give me a decant safe tune on the stock intercooler. after some tweaking and a few pulls he came back with a print out. he did manage to get me 286.5 whp and 321wtq at just 16 psi. He told me we could go more agressive on the boost but to be safe with that tiny core he thought 16 psi was fine. I know we probably could have sqeezed more numbers out of it if needed but i wanted it to be safe. sadly i will garage her next week and go overseas. Overall my tune with amr was outstanding and would highly recommend anyone who can get there to do it. I will post the print out here soon i left it in my other cars glove box. I was hoping to make 300whp before I left, but with all the mishaps so far i think i am starting to get on track. So this post wont be updated for a year or so but when i return i will have many updates to post.
post #44 of 44 Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

ignored281 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ignored281
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but updates ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement