Red wrx 10 Project start - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
Red wrx 10 Project start

Hello Im fairly new to the forum as well as the tuner world. Ive always loved subaru's. It started as just a WRC fan. Some time down the road I decided to buy a 2010 wrx. It was a slow start, but ive seen several of the threads on projects I enjoyed following so here is mine.
Name:  DSCN2848.jpg
Views: 3793
Size:  97.7 KB
I bought this car on a wind. I thought if i did not do it now. I would never so I went to the subaru dealership haggeld for a while and drove it home. I new when I bought it I had big hopes for the car. The dealer asked me how much I wanted to put down. In my head im thinking the more I put down the less parts I can have now. I have good credit so none. I orderd the SPT cat back before I even drove it home. Harman motive catted downpipe about three days later. My wife was furious i bought the downpipe and did not tell her naturally because she would say no. SPT shorty soon after. Intake was next I decided to go with the HKS suction kit, I know other intakes have been shown to produce more power but I enjoy the look.
Name:  sdgsrfhg.JPG
Views: 2251
Size:  79.3 KB
Which brings me to my next point I have always been a fan of the stock location intercooler, I know front mount is far better in cooling proporties. So in the event I do decide to buy a front mount I will sell this intake and go for a Ks Tech or variant. Next i needed ECU managment ofcourse I went with the accessport and it's ever changing tuning abilities. Name:  cfgstew.JPG
Views: 2069
Size:  99.5 KB I ran into several problems here. Im in the army and stationed at FT. Waynewright AK. Alaska proves to be a tuners nightmare with the highest octane rating on 90 yes 90, the state with all the oil has a super low permium. Also there is only one tunershop i know of here. The reviews i read about this place makes buisness with them not an option. So I called perrin to see what kind of map they could produce for me with 90 octane. chris cone at perrin made me a impressive map working with 90. target psi 16.8. I was pleased with the map added alot of umph. Next in line was headers. I was torn between hp and the subaru sound, after alot of research and asking around i decided to go with GT SPEC equal length. Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1971
Size:  64.3 KB
I was surprised at the quality of the piece. Living in alaska has it's up's and down's one major down is everything i order is unreal in shipping costs. So i called my buddy and offerd him some beer headers and upipe is not really a one man show. about a hour into the project after fighting off the stupid problems, ie. one stripped bolt he got a phone call and had to go. So i drove on fighting one stupid problem after another.here is the stock vs gt spec Name:  fsghsdfh.JPG
Views: 2111
Size:  32.8 KB The headers actually went on smoothly it was not until the up pipe where it got stupid. After doing it one time i bet the next time if i were to do it it would go easy. learn as you go! Thats about it so far il be shipping out of alaska to ny soon, where more options become available. My next move is a tough one i have to decide front or top mount. If i go front most likely a trubo xs if i stay top process west ofcourse. I have a few minor parts on order now grimspeed 3 port boost con, rallitek skid plate. my plan was to do the build in phases phase 1 for me was to breathe it out headers back. Now that phase 1 is done phase 2 will consist of fuel componets, cooling and turbo which is a whole delima in intself. I appriciate feedback, I know myself by reading some of the other projects i learned a thing or two. Hopefully this will help somone in some way. I should make my cooling decision here soon. Il update more when I can thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Looks good so far. Can't wait to see the build as it progresses.
#3 Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
should be a sexy beast when your done with it, nice color also

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
#4 Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

gastoys is an unknown
Wow, you are getting serious with the build! I have the exact same car to include the fastest color - "Lightning Red" so I will be watching this thread for updates! I also did not purchase the Premium nor the limited because the options added a lot of un-needed weight. I am actually on the fence on removing the Air Conditioner unit to include the AC radiator - still debating this one as I have not found any data on how much weight that will reduce. Don't really need AC during mild Seattle Summer not to mention I ride my Hayabusa during the hot months.

My build is going towards weight reduction with performance.

1. Lower suspension using Eibach springs - reduces a pound or two
2. O.Z. Alleggerita HLT 18x8 wheels at 17.4 lbs vs OEM Wheel at 23lbs
3. BG Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 235/40ZR18 - I live in Seattle where it rains from Oct to May so need a tire for wet. Tire weight is 23lbs versus OEM Tire at 24lbs. The new 2011 WRX runs the same wheel size with the same drivetrain so there should be no issues going .5 inches taller.
4. 5Zigen FORGED RACING LUG NUTS reduces about 5oz per wheels over OEM
5. Invidia Q300 single exhaust should reduce another 25lbs or so.
6. Invidia Down Pipe
7. Perrin Pully reduce another 4lbs
8. Currently running full synthetic Amsoil in motor, but will be running Amsoil synthetic in Transmission, front and rear diffs
9. Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose
10. Perrin Afta-MAF Hose

Overall I suspect I will lose ~7lbs per wheel, total of ~28lbs
Total reduction of weight to vehicle will be around 60lbs
Total HP/TQ gain ~20HP/20TQ

I plan on keeping the intake stock for now too, with the exception of the H&K drop in filter I added in which I noticed very little gains other than 1MPG better fuel economy and maybe a hint, just a tiny hit of better throttle response.

Car is also debaged with the exception of "WRX" on front and rear to include the big blue Subaru Logo.

I don't have much planned other than that for now because I don't want to mess with the stock tune quite yet.

The last weight reduction will be me at 235lbs at 6ft to get back to my 200lb frame! LOL!

The hard part is justifying all these upgrade with my wife as she does not understand why I need a fast car when I already ride a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa with 200HP no to mention I only drive my WRX when it's raining. Car is 6 months old and only have 1,900 miles on it.
#5 Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
I'm putting together a red '10 sedan along the same lines.
1.Perrin Turbo back Exh.
2. Cobb AP with 92 Oct. Stage II
3. Process West TMIC
4. GT Sped equal length header
5. Perrin Blow off Vlv.
6. Perrin Crank Pulley
7. All syth. oils
8. Eibach swaybars
9. Whiteline rearend bushing kits
10. SPT short throw shifter
11. OZ Racing 18" wheels - TOYO rubber

Have you made any dyno runs with your AP, is so where are you guys art for HP and torque?
#6 Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastoys View Post
The hard part is justifying all these upgrade with my wife as she does not understand why I need a fast car when I already ride a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa with 200HP no to mention I only drive my WRX when it's raining. Car is 6 months old and only have 1,900 miles on it.
You could try "selling" them as "safety" mods...

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#7 Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
Gastoys,you sould try using an Odyssey PC 680 Battery, it's 20 lbs lighter then stock and it's weight taken from a good spot. I've used one in both my old '04 Z and my new WRX and have had no electrical issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by red104dr; 08-31-2010 at 06:22 PM.
#8 Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by red104dr View Post
Gastoys,you sould try using an Odyssey PC 680 Battery, it's 20 lbs lighter then stock and it's weight taken from a good spot. I've used one in both my old '04 Z and my new WRX and have had no electrical issues.
were did you get it and the bracket?

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#9 Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
I'm glad for all the feedback. My wife is also questioning my spending, but when she starts to pay bills I might listen! Until then I'm going to keep trucking. I like the look of the process west a lot. I think I might go rotated mount kit for Christmas. So that will make my choice for me. I'm due to deploy here soon again, so she will be garaged for a while I have had my wrx for 6 months now and just hit 3,000. I have a 2004 wrx daily driver/auto though. I'm seriously looking into BC coilovers for my next move. I have read a lot of reviews from wrx/sti owners and they seam to be on point. After stage 2 of my build is complete, which will be done soon. I don't think I will get to start stage 3 of my build until after I return. Stage 3 will be building or swapping tranny for a 6er. Then of to stroke and block work. Sadly there are no dyno's here! So im guessing on power, Also 90 oct is pretty weak. I would guess with my mods and current tune im in the ball park of 275-280 the stock boost on the 2010 is 14.2 and my target on 90 is 16.8 so no huge gains there, like higher octane. But im outa here in a few months and will go get mods added and a tune and post numbers then. NY has several good shops all over the state. I also don't want to overload the EJ and its problematic internals too much until I have professional help.
#10 Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
One thing I noticed is that the stock 09 I test drove back in Michigan felt faster than my modded 09 here in Utah (doesn't help that I'm used to it now)... Elevation and crappy gas FTL. If I can find my way back to MI I think the car will be screaming.

-Chris
#11 Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
The battery and backside aluminum shell I got through Summit racing, the brackets that you see I added myself.
#12 Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
Wanted to post a couple of pics, I think our cars are going to end up looking alot alike.
Attached Images

#13 Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
Is that the lip of the hpt website? That delete looks awsome. Where did you get the carbon fiber? Also where did you get spt dec? And also what rims are you running? The black on black looks nice. I am a subaru gold guy myself, I plan on pro drive gt1 or try n get 2010 bbs golds off a sti. Tint jobs in alaska suck though so im waiting the max the will do is 25 in rear. I dunno about the huge wrx dec, but it looks good man very clean.
#14 Old 09-15-2010, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
The front lip and rear accent over the licenseplate are SPT factory accessories. The wheels are OZ racing. After I removed all the crome badging off the trunk it looked a little bare, so I had the WRX made in Carbon Fiber: I probably overdid the size.
#15 Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red wrx 10 View Post
Is that the lip of the hpt website? That delete looks awsome. Where did you get the carbon fiber? Also where did you get spt dec? And also what rims are you running? The black on black looks nice. I am a subaru gold guy myself, I plan on pro drive gt1 or try n get 2010 bbs golds off a sti. Tint jobs in alaska suck though so im waiting the max the will do is 25 in rear. I dunno about the huge wrx dec, but it looks good man very clean.
The bbs' won't fit if you plan to pick them up from a guy that took them off his STi... The bolt pattern needs to be 5x100.

-Chris