Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Recircualting Valve (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/recircualting-valve-33349/)

General-Leo 12-05-2012 07:09 PM

Recircualting Valve

Allright so I thought the BPV was located/mounted on the intercooler. But I looked for it the other day and didn't find anything. I have a 2013 WRX any help on where it is?
Thanks is advance.

man show 12-05-2012 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Notice the blue circle. Notice the blue arrow pointing to the blue circle. Notice the little black thingy inside the blue circle with the blue arrow pointing to it. You're welcome! :p

General-Leo 12-05-2012 07:57 PM

You never fail to help out on the forums, thank you. :sneaky:

man show 12-05-2012 09:52 PM

No problem-o, I aim to please. Do you have any special plans for the newly-discovered bpv?

pzr2874 12-06-2012 05:29 AM

No, don't do it Leo

You probably remember looking at an older WRX and the bpv is where you thought it was on the newer models.

General-Leo 12-06-2012 01:56 PM

Well I think everyone knows what I plan to do. hahaha the dreaded BOV even though I understand it is not needed until the car is heavily modified and running WAY more boost. I want to put one on after I break the car in (following the adjustment instructions to a T) worst case senario if it starts running crappy from the BOV I am going to keep the stock BPV and could always put it back on right?

pzr2874 12-06-2012 02:05 PM

Correct. Most ppl don't do the maint on the BOV's.... main reason most say they are no good. That and they leak most of the time if not maint.

General-Leo 12-06-2012 03:03 PM

I'm sure ti will say witht the paperwork that comes with the BOV, but how often and what kind of maintenance needs to be done? does anyone know?

jmiah007 12-06-2012 04:39 PM

Don't quote me but I believe it is just periodically making sure the spring/valve is adjusted properly. The spring is like most springs and will wear out if you are constantly adjusting it tighter, it is probably time to replace said spring. glad to know I'm not the only one going this route.

BLAZE2099 12-06-2012 05:42 PM

95% of them need different springs, shims ect for them to work properly. Typically they don't ever get tuned in right this giving our cars crappy scenarios.... Stalling, smelling like fuel, bad idles... Ect...

psinuse 12-06-2012 06:38 PM

[quote=BLAZE2099;288420]95% of them need different springs, shims ect for them to work properly. Typically they don't ever get tuned in right this giving our cars crappy scenarios.... Stalling, smelling like fuel, bad idles... Ect...[/quote]

Yeah but they sound wicked cool brah....

turmic 12-06-2012 09:33 PM

Oh....and there isn't a way to truely "tune" for a BOV. Why? Because you're taking a closed loop air system and making it open loop. Something the car and ECU were never designed for.

pzr2874 12-07-2012 05:35 AM

Add in greasing the piston to most if not all BOV's, even aftermarket BPV's

General-Leo 12-07-2012 10:39 AM

[quote=turmic;288430]Oh....and there isn't a way to truely "tune" for a BOV. Why? Because you're taking a closed loop air system and making it open loop. Something the car and ECU were never designed for.[/quote]

So how is it that other people get them to work just fine? I have rode in a evo that had a BOV and everything seemed to be fine... no idle issues anyway. haha

brfatal 12-07-2012 11:00 AM

[quote=General-Leo;288409]Well I think everyone knows what I plan to do. hahaha the dreaded BOV even though I understand it is not needed until the car is heavily modified and running WAY more boost. I want to put one on after I break the car in (following the adjustment instructions to a T) worst case senario if it starts running crappy from the BOV I am going to keep the stock BPV and could always put it back on right?[/quote]

You have a plastic BPV that does not hold boost as well as the older model ones. ~Stage 2 you may need to replace it. If you do, I would recommend another recirculating valve rather then a venting BoV, make sure you get a quality one, and have it set up by your tuner to insure that it's not leaking (most people would never know if it is). The biggest reasons for leaking are improper setup and lack of maintenance. Then there are the ones that leak because they are poor designs.