Really weird sucking noise!!!!!??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ryan phenicie is an unknown
Really weird sucking noise!!!!!???

Ok guys I need some help. Today I was driving and all of a sudden I started hearing this noise. It kinda sounded like my turbo spooling up but way louder. I stopped driving and waited a couple of hours popped the hood and everything looked normal, but when I turned the car on and started driving it started making the noise again. It only happens after I hit about 2500rpm and in ever gear also it gets louder the faster I go. It sounds like something is sucking a lot of air? It's a 2012 with only 7000 miles on it and not a single mod the car is 100% stock. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?? Or know how to fix it? I still have a warranty on the car so it's no big deal to take it in to get looked at I would just rather do it my self. So I would really appreciate any helps guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Could be the throttle body to intercooler hose. The clamp that holds it on would be loose. Or the pipe could have even came off due to the clamp being loose. I had that problem on my 2012 around the same mileage. I took it too the dealer after I reseached it myself and was pretty sure it was that. Then I took it in and told them the problem. Didn't tell them what I thought it was though. They found it was what I thought. They put a new clamp in and off I went. So check that out and let us know.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #3 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ok cool thanks I'm going to go check that out right now thank you and I will let you know if it fixs the problem
post #4 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nope that wasn't it I checked all the hoses and clamps everything looks nice and tight thank you though
post #5 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Alright. I'll see if I can think of anything else. From what I read they need to be really snugged. Did you actually try and tighten them? I would take it in to the dealer and see what they say unless anyone else can through some suggestions out there.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #6 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ya I'm just going to take it in I was just hoping to find out what it was and how to fix for future problems haha it never hurts to know
post #7 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Well let me know the out come. I'm interested to know for the future. Good luck.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #8 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Are you hitting the correct boost? Sounds like a vac leak

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ya idk it sounds a little like over boost and when it happens the car runs all sluggish.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
That would be underboosting not overboost.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #11 of 14 Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan phenicie View Post
Ya idk it sounds a little like over boost and when it happens the car runs all sluggish.
So you ARE in fact hitting the correct boost? I couldn't tell from your reply.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #12 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I'm going to go with that you have a defective trunk monkey. Get it checked. /sarcasam

Did you get it checked out yet? Its louder than the stock turbo noise? If its louder than before it has to be a pre turbo leak of some sort.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #13 of 14 Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigmes is an unknown
I realize that this thread is a couple of months old now and hopefully this is fixed by now, but no solution was ever posted.

I had this same issue on my '12 wrx, at arond 3k miles. Loud air sucking noise coming from under the hood that only happens when the car is under load, so very difficult to open the hood and figure out where it's coming from. I also got a bad smell coming through the cabin sometimes. The car also seemed to be slightly down on power to me, but I can't prove that wasn't just paranoia.

The issue was a "weak intercooler clamp" as described by the dealer. The air sound was actually air being sucked in after the intercooler because of the loose fitting. They replaced it under warranty.
That being said, you may need to be insistent with the dealer on this one because if they don't actually drive the car they will give you that 'cant replicate the issue' bs after 2 hours. I recommend you take one of your suby mechanics for a drive and point out the sound- this was the only way I got them to admit something was wrong.

I believe this is a somewhat common issue with the MY '12 cars as when it happened to me I saw a few threads on different forums asking, but none ever posted a solution. Hope this helps anyone getting the issue in the future.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Had the same problem which I posted on the 1st page with the fix as well.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement