Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Really weird sucking noise!!!!!??? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/really-weird-sucking-noise-37466/)

Ryan phenicie 08-03-2013 02:33 PM

Really weird sucking noise!!!!!???

Ok guys I need some help. Today I was driving and all of a sudden I started hearing this noise. It kinda sounded like my turbo spooling up but way louder. I stopped driving and waited a couple of hours popped the hood and everything looked normal, but when I turned the car on and started driving it started making the noise again. It only happens after I hit about 2500rpm and in ever gear also it gets louder the faster I go. It sounds like something is sucking a lot of air? It's a 2012 with only 7000 miles on it and not a single mod the car is 100% stock. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?? Or know how to fix it? I still have a warranty on the car so it's no big deal to take it in to get looked at I would just rather do it my self. So I would really appreciate any helps guys.

arewmors 08-03-2013 03:11 PM

Could be the throttle body to intercooler hose. The clamp that holds it on would be loose. Or the pipe could have even came off due to the clamp being loose. I had that problem on my 2012 around the same mileage. I took it too the dealer after I reseached it myself and was pretty sure it was that. Then I took it in and told them the problem. Didn't tell them what I thought it was though. They found it was what I thought. They put a new clamp in and off I went. So check that out and let us know.

Ryan phenicie 08-03-2013 03:19 PM

Ok cool thanks I'm going to go check that out right now thank you and I will let you know if it fixs the problem

Ryan phenicie 08-03-2013 03:41 PM

Nope that wasn't it I checked all the hoses and clamps everything looks nice and tight thank you though

arewmors 08-03-2013 03:50 PM

Alright. I'll see if I can think of anything else. From what I read they need to be really snugged. Did you actually try and tighten them? I would take it in to the dealer and see what they say unless anyone else can through some suggestions out there.

Ryan phenicie 08-03-2013 06:04 PM

Ya I'm just going to take it in I was just hoping to find out what it was and how to fix for future problems haha it never hurts to know

arewmors 08-03-2013 06:28 PM

Well let me know the out come. I'm interested to know for the future. Good luck.

pzr2874 08-03-2013 09:47 PM

Are you hitting the correct boost? Sounds like a vac leak

Ryan phenicie 08-03-2013 10:33 PM

Ya idk it sounds a little like over boost and when it happens the car runs all sluggish.

boo-key 08-03-2013 10:44 PM

That would be underboosting not overboost.

pzr2874 08-04-2013 07:56 AM

[quote=Ryan phenicie;332194]Ya idk it sounds a little like over boost and when it happens the car runs all sluggish.[/quote]

So you ARE in fact hitting the correct boost? I couldn't tell from your reply.

turmic 08-05-2013 09:07 PM

I'm going to go with that you have a defective trunk monkey. Get it checked. /sarcasam

Did you get it checked out yet? Its louder than the stock turbo noise? If its louder than before it has to be a pre turbo leak of some sort.

bigmes 10-22-2013 12:32 PM

I realize that this thread is a couple of months old now and hopefully this is fixed by now, but no solution was ever posted.

I had this same issue on my '12 wrx, at arond 3k miles. Loud air sucking noise coming from under the hood that only happens when the car is under load, so very difficult to open the hood and figure out where it's coming from. I also got a bad smell coming through the cabin sometimes. The car also seemed to be slightly down on power to me, but I can't prove that wasn't just paranoia.

The issue was a "weak intercooler clamp" as described by the dealer. The air sound was actually air being sucked in after the intercooler because of the loose fitting. They replaced it under warranty.
That being said, you may need to be insistent with the dealer on this one because if they don't actually drive the car they will give you that 'cant replicate the issue' bs after 2 hours. I recommend you take one of your suby mechanics for a drive and point out the sound- this was the only way I got them to admit something was wrong.

I believe this is a somewhat common issue with the MY '12 cars as when it happened to me I saw a few threads on different forums asking, but none ever posted a solution. Hope this helps anyone getting the issue in the future.

arewmors 10-22-2013 12:41 PM

Had the same problem which I posted on the 1st page with the fix as well.