Ready for my tune. Parts list - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

rjklement15 is an unknown
Ready for my tune. Parts list

Hey guys,

I am ready for a protune and have found a shop here in NH thats sounds pretty good.

As of right now I have a Cobb Turboback, Cobb intake with the box, and HKS BOV.

The parts that just came in and are about to be installed within the next few weeks are PERRIN EL headers, HKS Up pipe, Cobb pulled, grimmspeed boost control solenoid, and the recirc kit for the bov that I should have put on a long time ago.

How does the list sound? Anything else I should know or get? What should I be able to SAFELY get on these to my 2011 WRX Hatch?

Also most importantly, how long can I drive untuned? I may not be able to get it tuned or a few days after the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Not long. Gotta stay outta boost. How long do you plan on driving it with mods and no tune? (hopefully just to tuner )
#3 Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Why a header on the stock turbo?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Why an up pipe when the stocker is already catless? Why install parts on a car knowing they need a tune? Why ask why and risk it? If you have a tuner get a limp map from him at the least, you are really risking alot putting all those parts on a car that is turbo'd and the fact that the quality of gas has gone down also being the winter months.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

The headers are equal length so they should have good gains especially tuned right even without a new turbo (so I read you guys know way more then I do, or else I wouldn't be here asking opinions). The upipe says its bigger than stock and the turbo will spool faster. As for the tune, it will be just to get it tp the tuner. Most likely driven home and parked uptil I go to the tuner. I have an accessport so i can put it on valet mode. Will that work?
#6 Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Read up on what valet mode is. Its meant so people cant rail on your car if you velet park a WRX. In velet mode the car is next to undriveable. And by gains on headers of any kind, not really worth the money IMHO, especially the price of quality headers and the gains you get out of them. And as far as up pipes go, not really needed unless you are running some massive turbo, and still dont see too many people using them unless they go EWG.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just don't understand the need for a header when there are people making over 400whp on a ported stocker... Bigger diameter up-pipe isn't needed on the stock turbo either.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Money Is not at all an issue. I just want power. I do not plan to drive It around untuned for months and months, I will just be driving home and parking the car until I have it tuned. I see no danger when tuned properly, I was simply asking what I could expect to the wheels with a nice tune.
#9 Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well, we can't say for sure what your car is going to make at the wheels. It all depends on car, dyno, octane of fuel you plan on running, and many many different factors that we can not predict.

Honestly, you will have to baby the crap out of it if you plan on putting the 3 port bcs on before you make it to the tuner's. Changing that one part...because of how it works. It will severly skew your ECU settings and you'll have a extremely good chance at overboosting very easily. Once your tuned you'll be fine, but until then you will have to baby it and stay out of boost. I hope you have a boost guage to tell if you're out of it.

I am not trying to be a d!ck, I'm just trying to let you know the risk of even getting into boost. Which will be very easy until its tuned for the 3 port. Which is why most people will wait to do that at their tuners or have their tuner just install it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#10 Old 12-12-2011, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
a 38ish lb/min turbo will like the EL header. is 20-30 hp/tq worth $800? not really. was it worth me paying $250? yeppppp

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#11 Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Well, we can't say for sure what your car is going to make at the wheels. It all depends on car, dyno, octane of fuel you plan on running, and many many different factors that we can not predict.

Honestly, you will have to baby the crap out of it if you plan on putting the 3 port bcs on before you make it to the tuner's. Changing that one part...because of how it works. It will severly skew your ECU settings and you'll have a extremely good chance at overboosting very easily. Once your tuned you'll be fine, but until then you will have to baby it and stay out of boost. I hope you have a boost guage to tell if you're out of it.

I am not trying to be a d!ck, I'm just trying to let you know the risk of even getting into boost. Which will be very easy until its tuned for the 3 port. Which is why most people will wait to do that at their tuners or have their tuner just install it.
That was already considered. that bcs is the only part that will not be on for the drive to the tuner. They said since its so quick to do they will just throw it on for $20 when tuning
#12 Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I just don't understand the need for a header when there are people making over 400whp on a ported stocker... Bigger diameter up-pipe isn't needed on the stock turbo either.
Like I was previously saying, porting the stocker and replacing the header all together are done to accomplish completely different goals. I say this running basically a GT3076 on a completely stock manifold though. I agree that it's not work it on a stock turbo. Down the line yes.

Last edited by brfatal; 12-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
#13 Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Like I was previously saying, porting the stocker and replacing the header all together are done to accomplish completely different goals. I say this running basically a GT3076 on a completely stock manifold though. I agree that it's not work it on a stock turbo. Down the like yes.
Down the like yes????

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
#15 Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

I see, well it happens...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...