questions about AMR stage 1 kit..Yes Im new here! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
questions about AMR stage 1 kit..Yes Im new here!

Well, this is my 1st post, So hello to all. 1st about myself. Live in ABQ, NM I currently own a 2011 WRX. I like Diesels, planes and anything turbo charged blah blah blah. Im also building a 600RWHP 1983 Toyota Celica Supra with a swapped in 2JZGTE. Even my diesel truck is modded.

link to my build thread if you care. This is to kinda show what my abilities are.
ABQMK2's 2JZGTE addiction thread

my moto is "stock sucks" which leads me here. great forum BTW. Ive been on many forums is this one is top notch.

Ive been hunting the net for a slight upgrade for my WRX. I bought this WRX Suby for my wife but I love this car! I find myself begging her to drive it. Ive been into supras for years but this thing is a blast to drive..hell, I might even get me an STI for a daily!

So, onto AMR. Their "stage 1 kit" sounds to good to be true. I dont know very much about Suby vendors so this is why I ask the real people using these kits in the real world. Is this real? 320HP? AWD wheel HP or is this crank? Im completely blown away by the capability of these cars.

heres a link to AMR's claims
Auto Master AMR - Home of the Worlds Highest Horsepower Stock ECU Daily Driven STi

thanks in advance..If Ive violated any forum rules or rubbed anyone the wrong way by this being my 1st post, flame away here or in PM..Im a big boy and I can take it. I look forward to meeting some of you guys, especially here in ABQ.

Jake

Last edited by ABQMK2; 02-09-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Well first off Welcome to the forums, and WOOT another supra enthusiast now I won't feel so lonely, but to answer your question that's 320 crank hp and you would be better off by just starting out stg 2 which is just adding a dp to that package and you should be hovering around 340 crank hp

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Welcome,

That is to the crank... +/- 25% drivetrain loss is what most #'s are based off.

You are better off buying the COBB AP and just looking into doing mods yourself along the maps' "tight" reccomendations.

For 1100.00 it's a little steep. But other than that... go for it.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #4 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
thx felles but can you elaborate...stage 2..is that AMR or Perrin specific or another vendor? remember Im a total newb to the WRX world and i really dont know the lingo yet...i will learn it in due time though.

I hate it when they advertise crank numbers and dont tell you that. I will only go with the actual AWD numbers from another vendor since theyre not trying to inflate their HP/TQ numbers..Sort of like Perrin does, they show the actual dyno results..cool in my book. AMR just turned me off with that type of advertising.

Am i too quick to judge AMR here?

Cam tuned stage 2 2011 WRX
270HP/340TQ @ 17PSI 91 Octane

Jake
post #5 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
stages are fairly general in the WRX world kind of like BPU in the supra world, stage two is just a turbo back exhaust and a tune, although with 08+ WRXs I believe stg 2 includes having an intake as well

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #6 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
stages are fairly general in the WRX world kind of like BPU in the supra world, stage two is just a turbo back exhaust and a tune, although with 08+ WRXs I believe stg 2 includes having an intake as well
Stage 2 on the 08' is a HF Catted DP or Catless DP and Cobb Stage 2. (With or without CBE)

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
post #7 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQMK2 View Post
thx felles but can you elaborate...stage 2..is that AMR or Perrin specific or another vendor? remember Im a total newb to the WRX world and i really dont know the lingo yet...i will learn it in due time though.

I hate it when they advertise crank numbers and dont tell you that. I will only go with the actual AWD numbers from another vendor since theyre not trying to inflate their HP/TQ numbers..Sort of like Perrin does, they show the actual dyno results..cool in my book. AMR just turned me off with that type of advertising.

Am i too quick to judge AMR here?
What they are saying by stage 2 is first get you yourself a new or used Cobb Tuning ACCESSPort. Then get an aftermarket DP. Once that is installed you will load the Stage 2 map from Cobb that will be on your AP(Accessport) once it has been married to your WRX.

In the meantime you can load the Stage 1 map while waiting delivery of your new DP.

Also, if you decide to modify the car in stages and are close to a Cobb Protuner, then after each new upgrade you can go in and get a tune from them.

Also there are some places like Torqued Performance that offer OTS Stage 2 maps that are pretty good. I am running his stage 2 map now.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
post #8 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
Ok..its all making sense..from what i gather Subaru's are finicky when its comes to mods right? add an intake=re-tune...add a DP Re-tune etc et...am i right on this?

OTS maps sound nice but just the sound of it scares me with gas engines since the chance of leaning out can happen real easy.. I run off the shelf tunes on my diesel and its nice..add 250 LB FT of torque and 150HP for a day then return to stock for a trip to the dealer.

Can you do this with the AP tuners.? Store your factory tune in them while adding the upgraded tune then switch it back whenever you choose? having that otion on my diesel is awsome..I cant do that on my factory ecu on my supra so i had to upgrade to an AEM V2 standalone. if the suby word of tuning is like that of diesels then ive gone to heaven!

There are alot of WRX's and STI's running around the Duke city here so Im sure there is a pretty reputable tuner here..I just gotta hunt them down and do my homework on them.

thanks for everything guys..I will be reading up more when the time is available. I hope i dont get bit by the upgrade bug on this WRX...i tend to go over board with them, but im sure you guys understand my sickness! Im sure were all "effing" sick in the head here..my wife thinks i am..LOL!

Jake
post #9 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

yep the AP can do just that, but the factory tune cannot be used in conjunction with any mods except a cat back exhaust

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

and your telling me man factory supra ecu's are garbage!

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #11 of 15 Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
After doing some homework. I was judging AMR to fast. The have some impressive builds. I dont think theyre inflating their numbers, theyre just advertising in terms(laymen terms that is) for the general public because all they would know is advertised HP from subaru and then add what AMR advertises, then bam..they got their numbers..makes sense to me that way.

Now, do you guys know if the AMR 2011 STI stage 2 kit will work on a 2011 WRX? AMR has no way of contacting them to ask..? How is someone supposed to find this info out?

I like their turbo back exhaust..its very vell built..i would add a cat to it so i could pass the sniffer though. Opinions? thx.

Jake
post #12 of 15 Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The STi kit is probably different in the mapping only (different engine, internals, turbo,etc...etc...). Unless the exhaust is THAT much different. Just get the one for your car only.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #13 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
Well, to the people that were following my "newbness"..If finally done enough research to know better now. It took me a while huh..LOL!! I bought a Inviadia catted DP($250 on CL..score!) and a Tactrix 2.0 cable($180 shipped) downloaded the ecuflash program from their site and put a K&N drop in filter.

Plans are to install this DP and take it to a local tuner(CAMTuning.com - Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Nissan Engine Management and Dyno Tuning Solutions - Home) and have him give my little WRX a custom stage 2 tune. This guy has been great to deal with, always answered my questions and has treated me with the up most respect. I will report back on how the tune goes.

I bought the cable so i could save my factory tune on my laptop and reload it when i need to(warranty stuff), Yes i will put the factory DP back in when i do this.

I just wanted to thank the above people for there time they took to reply to my thread.

I wont have any before an after hp/tq numbers since we will be tuning on the road..sorry.

Any suggestions on how to obtain before and after #'s without a dyno? gtech or something?

Jake
post #14 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Airboy maybe ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #15 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Virtual Dyno. Almost the same as Airboy.
Virtual Dyno

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement