qualitly downpipe for cheap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
qualitly downpipe for cheap

So I have been looking around and doing some research and I was wondering what you guys think. What is a good DP that won't end up cracking or have fitting issues for a good price. My budgets not large so I am really looking on the cheaper side of them. Let me know what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Try NASIOC. Saw some cheap DP's for sale in my region just right now.
#3 Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I have never used one but heard megan racing is pretty good and cheap.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Or if your budget isnt that big, it doesnt hurt to sae and get what you want, might even save you from having to buy a second time. I mean I wanted to Cobb TBE, so I saved for it, worth the wait IMHO.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
I wanted the same thing, high quality DP for low price...no such thing. I bought an AMK DP off ebay for around $100 shipped and the bolt holes ended up not fitting the turbo so I had to waller them out with a drill, the DP rubs the underside of my car in 3 places and is very annoying at low rpm's, and is also about 1.5 inches too short so I had to pull the catback exhaust back to it and now the exhaust tip rubs on the underside as well. Lets just say I like to keep my stereo loud... What I'm trying to say is that you get what you pay for. In hindsight I would have rather dropped an extra $100 bucks to get a name brand one that didn't give me any problems.
#6 Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cobb is one of the best as far as overall quality and fitment. That's the one I have and I've had no issues with it, but unfortunately it isn't the cheapest downpipe on the market. Invidia makes a decent downpipe for a little less money and I've also heard good things about Megan racing. Depending how long it's been on a car, you could also look for a decent used downpipe. I don't imagine they would go bad. After all, it's just a piece of metal. A little surface rust won't hurt anything - you hardly see the thing anyway because the majority of it is tucked away under the car or covered by your turbo heat shield. I guess the main thing to look out for is quality welds - and I suppose even those could always be fixed by a decent shop for not a whole lot of money... and of course, get a new turbo-to-downpipe gasket and downpipe-to-catback gasket. That's probably the best way to go if you're trying to save a little mula = used Cobb downpipe.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 05-04-2009, 03:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

I am just not sure which ones are going to be the best quality. Like one or two piece. Things of that sort I'm not sure on which ones are better and which pipes are good yet still cheap..ish. I'm not looking to put a $100 problem pipe on or anything.
#8 Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
I would just go one piece. Just like NTTG said, just save up. You won't regret it.
#9 Old 05-04-2009, 06:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
I had an ebay TBE on mine. Fit perfectly. Well actually i had to bend the bracket that attaches the dp to the transmission for support but that was the only problem I had. Megan racing is a good company, invidia. Cobb of course but your looking at a pretty penny for one of their pieces.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#10 Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I have the Invidia and IMO it's the best of both worlds.(good quality and good price) Nice thick flanges and nice bends and welds. Fitment is perfect with 3" CBE.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#11 Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've been researching this as well, and I found a Perrin Single Cat pipe for $450 at JSCSpeed.com. I found some fitment problem threads where it rubs on the trans. crossmember, but that only seems to be on wagons.

Perrin Subaru WRX & STi High Flow Cat One-Piece Downpipe JSC Speed WRX & STi Uppipe/Downpipe

I was going to get it, but the Tech at P&L performance recommends the bellmouth design. They suggest the TurboXS or the Cobb. I'm saving for the Cobb and a custom tune. I've seen used Cobb's on Nasioc, but people generally only knock off $100. Not worth the risk to me.
#12 Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
I have an ebay SR*S DP on my 04 wrx and fitment was perfect. It dosnt rub on anything, thick flanges etc etc. shipment was fast and I do not regret buying this pipe at all.
#13 Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04wrxhart View Post
I have an ebay SR*S DP on my 04 wrx and fitment was perfect. It dosnt rub on anything, thick flanges etc etc. shipment was fast and I do not regret buying this pipe at all.
Give the welds sometime to crack. most exhaust stuff I have seen people buy on Ebay break or leak in a year. but there is some stuff thats ok.
#14 Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just picked up a Cobb catted DP on Nasioc for $300. The guy is switching to a rotated and his car is at P&L now. I picked up an STI uppipe months ago for $50 on Ebay. Stage 2 here I come.
#15 Old 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Does invidia or megan raing make a one piece dp for the 09 wagon? I cant find a lot of information on it.