Pro Tune vs. Cobb AP - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
*slaps Keith's other hand with a ruler*
OUCH!!!!
Okay here is my worthless contribution. Cobb's stuff is great and works for people, nothing wrong with it. In my opinion look at the pros and cons of each and figure out what best fits your personal desire. I could tell you try a Greddy E-manage and say how great it is, or even a AEM, but in the end your the one that has to look at what best fits you and your abilities and needs.

*raises finger to turmic*

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

ManMaker is an unknown
Not trying to hijack, so kick me out & tell me to start my own thread if offended. Here we go: All I'm looking for is a little more umph out of my Subaru but keep its long reliable heritage. Am I asking for too much?

Is the SPT cat-back & Cobb Stage 1 gonna give me the umph & keep the reliability factor as well? If not, I'll stay stock & enjoy the car. Preciate y'alls time; great site.
post #18 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMaker View Post
Not trying to hijack, so kick me out & tell me to start my own thread if offended. Here we go: All I'm looking for is a little more umph out of my Subaru but keep its long reliable heritage. Am I asking for too much?

Is the SPT cat-back & Cobb Stage 1 gonna give me the umph & keep the reliability factor as well? If not, I'll stay stock & enjoy the car. Preciate y'alls time; great site.
Driving habits and maintenance will help keep it going for a long time. I had more done to mine and it lasted a while before my bad driving habit broke it.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #19 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManMaker is an unknown
Preciate it. I'm not hard on the engine by any means, but step on it when I need to. I'm leaning toward getting a downpipe w/ cat & leaving the stock exhaust on w/ a Stage 1.
post #20 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Cant run a stage one map with a downpipe, VERY bad idea. If you put a DP on you must run a stage 2 map from something.

Back to the OP. Like Kirt said I run my AP 24/7, mostly as my boost gauge, but I also monitor other things at the push of a button (intake temps, MPG, knock, etc.) I have ran both a stg1 AP OTS, stg2 OTS, stg2 protune (via AP) and now my 20G on my AP. I was fortunate to have Tim Bailey tune my car, he did wonders with it. I have about 10-12 different maps, both 91 and 92OCT limp maps to 20PSI maps. The AP isnt for everyone, its not as cheap, some say its not as easy to use. When I got my AP I had the car for only a few months and was on the waiting list for Cobb to ok the AP for the 07. I have yet to have any issues (in 5yrs) that were not resolved quickly with the AP by either Cobb or my old tuner shop. Just talk to your tuner or a tuner you trust and knows these cars, read and research and see what fits you and your wallet.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #21 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 12:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

ManMaker is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Cant run a stage one map with a downpipe, VERY bad idea. If you put a DP on you must run a stage 2 map from something.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Going w/ a Cobb downpipe w/ cat & Stage 2 tune. Hope to have a long life w/ this car.
post #22 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I was fortunate to have Tim Bailey tune my car, he did wonders with it.
He is really really good with tuning. Is he still tuning cars, I haven't heard much about him lately?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #23 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yep, although I have heard of an issue (second hand from my tuner who retuned a car tuned by surgline) with a car tuned by surgline which makes me question their tuning prowess.

-Chris
post #24 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Keith yes he is still tuning cars. He tunes for Surgeline (his shop in Oregon) PIA, a great shop in Washington, and he tunes for other people as well. He tunes EVERYTHING at that, not just subies as most probably know.

Chris, he is the Head Tuner at Surgeline, but not the only tuner. If Tim tuned a car that was bad Im sure that something was done to help with it Im sure (depending on the circumstances), but then again I could be wrong. I have talked to him directly on the phone numerous times, even when he wasnt the guy looking at my car but maybe things have changed, idk.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #25 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
That's funny I was just talking about tim in another thread! I just got my car tuned by him not to long ago and so far it seems like he did a great job my car runs like a raped ape on his E85 tune.I know he is out of town a lot tuning elsewhere as I had to wait awhile to get my tune, so maybe the bad tune was From someone else at surgeline or maybe it was him everybody has bad days I guess.
post #26 of 35 Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Was never said if it was Tim or not, just the car was tuned at surgeline, and when my tuner got it all CELs were disabled.

Most likely a mistake, but it takes a lot of effort to disable all the CEL's. For all he knows as well it could have been the owner messing with it. Either way, I'd never use them because they don't tune OS.

-Chris
post #27 of 35 Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Chris its not that you wont, its that you cant since you dont have an AP. And I know that Tim has tuned OS before, I just dont think that he is into it anymore since he is so well known for the AP and all that.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #28 of 35 Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

^That and Oregon is pretty far from Nebraska... I'm going to P&L in Chicago once my build is done so Junior can tune me.

-Chris
post #29 of 35 Old 07-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Depending on where Im stationed, I wont Surgeline/PIA, or P&L to be the ones touching my car next go round.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #30 of 35 Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ok, I've heard good things about P&L on here. But, heard from Chad that they were a pain in the ass to deal with. It was when Ron RAW1Performance; yes that Ron dissappeared. Chad had P&L build him a basic CP piston only block. Figuring that is as simple as it gets. But, he said it took forever and it was a hassle to get the engine. More of a hassle then what it was worth in his opinion to continue business with them. Granted, this is far better than his dealings with David Buschur lately. That's a whole another story. The sad part is that Chad said the mechanics under Buschur have been contacting him asking for jobs; behind Buschur's back mind you. Ok, enough of my ramblings.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae

Last edited by turmic; 07-11-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Can't spell....what else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement